Ask a PA Admissions Director

@jashdown I would probably have some reservation if your post bacc grades are at a 3.0 in those classes. In particular I would want to see your grades in the genetics, org, and biochemistry simply because those are difficult classes that are relevant to preparing you for PA school and from our program's standpoint courses that we pay close attention to. Before submitting your application you should reach out to the programs you're planning on applying to to make sure you would be competitive. You may also want to calculate your entire prerequisite GPA for those programs to make sure there is nothing else that could be recommended you retake. Just based on your post, I would assume the other courses like A&P, Microbiology, etc. have been taken and that you've performed well. Hope this helps!

PA Admission,

I have another question. I am working on my application and getting everything set, but am worried about my post bacc gpa. Since graduating I have taken pathophys, genetics, orgo, biochem, dev psych, and medical term, and the gpa is not the best, around a 3.0. My science gpa and overall are good, around 3.5-3.6. I am nervous because it seems like the post bacc gpa is very important, yet it is also when I have taken some difficult courses. My question is how much weight do admission committees put on the post-bacc gpa?

As always I appreciate your response and am thankful for all of the advice you give us on the forum,

Thanks!!

@sockerkid9 Thanks for your questions. A master's degree will definitely help prove your potential, and retaking prerequisites will also help if you do well. Keep in mind, it is very difficult to raise your overall GPA so the focus will have to be on doing well in your master's degree and getting the prerequisite GPA to a competitive level. There will be some programs that you may not qualify for if your GPA is not at a certain level. That said, don't let that discourage you if you do well in your master's degree and retakes...there are some programs (ours for instance) that allow themselves to look at the most recent work (the last 45-60 hours) and are not mandated by a school of graduate studies, for example, to accept only an overall GPA of a 3.0. I agree that the RN path should really be for those who want to pursue a career in nursing. Hope this helps!

Hello!

I guess I am kind of in a bind right now, and I'm not exactly sure where to turn. I graduated with a B.S. in Biology, minor in psychology in 2011. My GPA (overall and sci) was/is pretty low, so I have been working full time in the medical field. I have over 8,000 direct patient care hours (some of these I started during college) and at least 3 LOR's from PA's. I have contacted the directors of schools that I applied to this past cycle (I didn't get in anywhere) and I know it was my low GPA that kept my application from being considered. My main question is how to improve my GPA, as many directors have told me that the rest of my application is pretty strong. I was just admitted into a masters of science program in exercise science, and I didn't know if this would be a route to consider to try to raise my GPA? Almost all of the masters program classes are classified in the science category, so I figured this may help. I was also going to retake a few of my pre-req's that I didn't do good in (got c's) before reapplying. I didn't fail/withdraw or get a D in any pre-req class, so I know when they average them together I'm going to need more than just retaking 2 courses to raise my gpa up enough to make a difference. I've seen before that not many people recommend going back and getting their RN unless they would like to go to NP school, which I understand. I'm just at a loss of what to do - so any help/opinions would be greatly appreciated!

PA admissions,

I calculated the post bacc GPA, it's a 3.23, Orgo was an A, Biochem a B, and Genetics a B-.Many of the programs I am applying to don't require gentics, but I feel it looks bad, especially since my bacc trends were much higher. I have been working more than 50 hours a week, while taking genetics, do admission committee look at the whole picture. I'm submitting soon but feel I may have blown it with that last class. As always thanks for the input.

@Paadmissions I am applying to PA school for the third time now. I have been to multiple interviews as well as put on some waiting lists. I'm looking to improve as many areas as I can in my application. I graduated with my BS June 2013 so my GPA and Science GPA are pretty much set in stone.

GPA= 3.79

Science GPA=  3.78

GRE: Verbal= 155 (65%) Quant= 154 (60%) Analytic = 5 (90%) Total = 314 

My HCH vary depending on the schools because some take my student internship and some don't, but either way I'll be over 1,000 by the time I turn in applications this year. 

I know the above factors are very important but I am also curious as to how important an applicants personal statement is. 

I'm thinking about taking a different approach to my personal statement and as an admissions director I would really appreciate your thoughts.

My past statements have been very professionally written . I open with a story or reflection of the past and then move right along into my reasons for pursuing PA, my schooling, HC experience etc. 

I've always gotten high remarks in writing and this year I want to utilize this more in my personal statement. I was thinking of integrating a general theme through which I depict my experiences, qualifications, education, and all together journey leading to my applying for PA school . For example, I could describe my journey through the context of a movie, book or a historical figure's life ( I don't have specifics in mind yet this is still a relatively new idea). 

While science and medicine is my passion, I really do enjoy challenging myself with writing. I'm worried that taking an alternate rout from the traditional statement could have one of two drastic reactions; they all love it or they all hate it. 

Am I better off just sticking to the plane jane personal essay?

Thank you for your help ! 

@jashdown Your performance in those particular courses is good so I can't say that you need to retake them. If you've performed well in the other prerequisites (that you haven't mentioned) its probably worth the shot to apply, but if offered an interview I would be prepared to address the post bacc performance if they ask. You never know, some committees may not ask about it. If you were working 50 hours a week and taking a hard courseload I think you have a valid reason for why the academics dropped a tad. Hope this helps!

PA admissions,
I calculated the post bacc GPA, it's a 3.23, Orgo was an A, Biochem a B, and Genetics a B-.Many of the programs I am applying to don't require gentics, but I feel it looks bad, especially since my bacc trends were much higher. I have been working more than 50 hours a week, while taking genetics, do admission committee look at the whole picture. I'm submitting soon but feel I may have blown it with that last class. As always thanks for the input.

@pir8girl Thank you for your questions. Based on your academics and the fact that you've been to multiple interviews I would assume the problem lies in your interviews. It could be a variety of things ranging anywhere from the "likability factor," your communication skills or other interpersonal traits. That said, if you are reapplying I would recommend a new personal statement, but not the route that you're considering. I think I'm ok in saying that decisions are not solely based on the personal statement, but if you write a bad or immature statement it is very obvious.  It is very typical of applicants to start by reflecting on an experience of when they were younger or a quote from a well-know philosopher-to be quite honest an opening paragraph that resembles any of that gets very old for admissions committees. What we want to read is not your resume because we've already read everything that you've put on your application up until the personal statement; rather, how through your healthcare and educational experiences, why you want to be a PA, how these things have prepared you for PA school, and your understanding of the role of the PA.  The statement doesn't need to be elaborate or a form of creative writing, but insightful and to the point. Typically, a page will suffice.  Since you're a reapplicant you may even want to reflect on what you've done to improve yourself or what you've learned about yourself from the previous cycle. I hope this helpful and let me know if you have any further questions.

@Paadmissions I am applying to PA school for the third time now. I have been to multiple interviews as well as put on some waiting lists. I'm looking to improve as many areas as I can in my application. I graduated with my BS June 2013 so my GPA and Science GPA are pretty much set in stone.

GPA= 3.79

Science GPA=  3.78

GRE: Verbal= 155 (65%) Quant= 154 (60%) Analytic = 5 (90%) Total = 314 

My HCH vary depending on the schools because some take my student internship and some don't, but either way I'll be over 1,000 by the time I turn in applications this year. 

I know the above factors are very important but I am also curious as to how important an applicants personal statement is. 

I'm thinking about taking a different approach to my personal statement and as an admissions director I would really appreciate your thoughts.

My past statements have been very professionally written . I open with a story or reflection of the past and then move right along into my reasons for pursuing PA, my schooling, HC experience etc. 

I've always gotten high remarks in writing and this year I want to utilize this more in my personal statement. I was thinking of integrating a general theme through which I depict my experiences, qualifications, education, and all together journey leading to my applying for PA school . For example, I could describe my journey through the context of a movie, book or a historical figure's life ( I don't have specifics in mind yet this is still a relatively new idea). 

While science and medicine is my passion, I really do enjoy challenging myself with writing. I'm worried that taking an alternate rout from the traditional statement could have one of two drastic reactions; they all love it or they all hate it. 

Am I better off just sticking to the plane jane personal essay?

Thank you for your help ! 

Hello PA Admissions,

First I want to say thank you so much for all of your feedback. We really appreciate it and it helps a great deal. 

I am re-applying to Physician Assistant school (s) this cycle and hoping to submit my applications within in the next couple of weeks. Last cycle I applied very late and only to some local programs. I did receive an interview and was ultimately wait-listed by one program, but after a long long wait was denied from the other three programs. All of the programs said I was an extremely strong applicant, but the pool of applicants was even stronger. They gave me some feedback and ways to improve. Most of the admissions teams or directors said I met all the requirements but more hours might helps ( I had over 1500 then, now around 2300 of direct patient). Long story short, I worked more, volunteered more, shadowed more, finished more pre reqs, improved my GPA, and graduated with my bachelors. It has only been 9 months since I submitted last cycle, so besides what I listed above, not much else has changed. I would say I am more resilient now than before and that I have attempted to get even more insight on the PA profession. I LOVED my narrative and felt it included everything I wanted. I spent a great deal of time on this and had many people involved in proof reading and giving me feedback. I am not taking the easy way out when I say I want to keep it close to the same. I just felt very confident and proud of it and think making too many changes to it might take away some of the best points I had made. I do want to add what I have done since and that I am a re applicant, but was hoping to keep my opening and many of the same points/ ideas from my original narrative. I will be applying to an additional 5-6 programs this cycle, so it will still be new to them. I was wondering what your thoughts were as an Admissions Director on revising a narrative and how it might come across if it is very similar to last years, with a few updates.

Thanks!!

@paadmissions.

First off, thank you so much for making this forum.  Reading through all the questions and answers has helped me tremendously.  I do have a few questions of my own.

1. I am applying to schools that have a December 2014 deadline. What is a good timeframe for submitting an application with a deadline that is later than most schools?  I am hoping to apply towards the end of the summer so I can increase my HCE (only have about 350 by now- hoping to have over 500 by end of summer).

2. Also, most of my hours are as a CNA.  I have been looking to also get certified as a Phlebotomist.  Do you think this would make my application stronger to have both, or would the CNA hours be sufficient?

3. In your opinion does having a higher degree than a bachelor's help?  I have about a 3.5 cumulative from undegrad, 3.3 for science undergrad and a 4.0 for my master's degree in education.  Also how does "real life experience" help with the application? I am currently a high school Anatomy and Physiology teacher and was wondering if that would help me to stand out.

Thank you so much!

@sw2 Thank you for your question. What I would incorporate a little more into your personal statement this time around is to talk briefly about the improvements you've made since the last cycle. Include all the ones you've listed here. If gaining more hours has helped you understand the role of the PA even more you should focus a lot on that. In my opinion, to see an applicant's view evolve into a more sound understanding of the PA enhances the statement. I do encourage applicants to submit a new personal statement and I think you're ok if many parts of the statement are similar to your last one. I hope this helps!

Hello PA Admissions,

First I want to say thank you so much for all of your feedback. We really appreciate it and it helps a great deal. 

I am re-applying to Physician Assistant school (s) this cycle and hoping to submit my applications within in the next couple of weeks. Last cycle I applied very late and only to some local programs. I did receive an interview and was ultimately wait-listed by one program, but after a long long wait was denied from the other three programs. All of the programs said I was an extremely strong applicant, but the pool of applicants was even stronger. They gave me some feedback and ways to improve. Most of the admissions teams or directors said I met all the requirements but more hours might helps ( I had over 1500 then, now around 2300 of direct patient). Long story short, I worked more, volunteered more, shadowed more, finished more pre reqs, improved my GPA, and graduated with my bachelors. It has only been 9 months since I submitted last cycle, so besides what I listed above, not much else has changed. I would say I am more resilient now than before and that I have attempted to get even more insight on the PA profession. I LOVED my narrative and felt it included everything I wanted. I spent a great deal of time on this and had many people involved in proof reading and giving me feedback. I am not taking the easy way out when I say I want to keep it close to the same. I just felt very confident and proud of it and think making too many changes to it might take away some of the best points I had made. I do want to add what I have done since and that I am a re applicant, but was hoping to keep my opening and many of the same points/ ideas from my original narrative. I will be applying to an additional 5-6 programs this cycle, so it will still be new to them. I was wondering what your thoughts were as an Admissions Director on revising a narrative and how it might come across if it is very similar to last years, with a few updates.

Thanks!!

@cmbooth Thank you for your questions.

1. I would encourage you to submit your application sooner, rather than later. Our program utilizes a March 1 deadline, but the sooner and application is received the better off the applicant will be. Keep in mind, most deadlines are misleading. You may want to ask the program if you can submit hour updates once you've submitted your application. We allow applicants to do that, but there may be other policies in place for other schools.

2. In my opinion I would stick with CNA work. I don't want to speak on behalf of every program, but I would say a high percentage of applicants who matriculate into a PA program are CNAs. I honestly don't think it would help to waste your time and money to get another certification, unless you feel it will give you more than your current CNA work. 

3. If you have an advanced degree you do put yourself a little bit ahead of a large portion of the applicant pool (at least for our program).  That said, it will all come down in how you performed in the prerequisites for the programs you're applying to. We have some applicants who have masters and doctorate degrees, but fail to be competitive with the applicant pool in the prerequisite courses. 

I hope this helps!

@paadmissions.

First off, thank you so much for making this forum.  Reading through all the questions and answers has helped me tremendously.  I do have a few questions of my own.

1. I am applying to schools that have a December 2014 deadline. What is a good timeframe for submitting an application with a deadline that is later than most schools?  I am hoping to apply towards the end of the summer so I can increase my HCE (only have about 350 by now- hoping to have over 500 by end of summer).

2. Also, most of my hours are as a CNA.  I have been looking to also get certified as a Phlebotomist.  Do you think this would make my application stronger to have both, or would the CNA hours be sufficient?

3. In your opinion does having a higher degree than a bachelor's help?  I have about a 3.5 cumulative from undegrad, 3.3 for science undergrad and a 4.0 for my master's degree in education.  Also how does "real life experience" help with the application? I am currently a high school Anatomy and Physiology teacher and was wondering if that would help me to stand out.

Thank you so much!

Hello Admissions Director and other pre-PA students!

The only personal statement I have to write at this point is the narrative for CASPA. Should I be selected for an interview at the program I am applying to, I will write a more in depth one. I come from a unique background- was originally premed then went into nursing where I have been for 7 years. My nursing experience is what led me to the PA profession. The narrative is pretty short so I think I am going to touch on:

How I was introduced to the profession and how I see them as integral health care providers, etc, etc.

How my nursing background will make me a great PA

Personal and recent academic attributes that will make me a great PA

How the medical model is driving me to persue PA vs NP. However- I do not want to discount the nursing profession, just that I believe the medical model of education will make me a better health care provider.

As a freshman in college (12+ yrs ago), I had other priorities besides school and that is reflective in my freshman year GPA. All raw sciences past that (micro, bio, chem) have been As. Do I mention this improvement in the narrative?

Thanks!

@rnfromAZ Thank you for your post. I do think the topics you've highlighted are exactly what you should focus on in your personal statement. I don't think you will discount the nursing profession if you phrase your comments based on how PAs are trained and you have the experience to back up why you prefer PA over NP. You can touch on your "adjustment period" in your freshman year, but make sure to talk about what you've done academically to overcome that and prepare yourself for the PA curriculum. Hope this helps! 

The only personal statement I have to write at this point is the narrative for CASPA. Should I be selected for an interview at the program I am applying to, I will write a more in depth one. I come from a unique background- was originally premed then went into nursing where I have been for 7 years. My nursing experience is what led me to the PA profession. The narrative is pretty short so I think I am going to touch on:

How I was introduced to the profession and how I see them as integral health care providers, etc, etc.

How the medical model is driving me to persue PA vs NP. However- I do not want to discount the nursing profession, just that I believe the medical model of education will make me a better health care provider.

As a freshman in college (12+ yrs ago), I had other priorities besides school and that is reflective in my freshman year GPA. All raw sciences past that (micro, bio, chem) have been As. Do I mention this improvement in the narrative?

Thanks!

Hi PA Admissions

I have a question regarding GRE and GPA.  I have a high GPA (~3.9 cum; haven't broken down the other GPAs yet, but I only have 3 Bs on my entire transcript and nothing lower).  However I didn't do well on the math second of the GRE, my scores are 158V 149Q and 4.0W.  Will the lower GRE scores make it seem like I took my classes at easy schools, to get those grades?  For what its worth, very few of my credits are from community colleges.  I also have ~10,000 hours HCE as an EMT and paramedic.   

I'm starting the applications now, plan to submit in June (I will have micro and ochem in progress at that point, all the other prerecs complete), just getting really nervous about it all.  

No way should you be worried. Your stats are ridiculously good. I got accepted into the PA program with a 3.37 GPA, 3.4 Science GPA, no HCE, 500 shadowing hours, great LORs, an amazing personal statement and a GRE of 302 (151 Math, 151 Verbal) and a 4.0 in writing. As long as you have all the pre-requisites done, you should be a shoe in!! Just ace your interview. ;)

Thanks!

Try to illicit emotion in your writing. A very personal statement is the best way to go. The way we humans remember things is based on emotion. In the last year, we probably only remember a few days and that's because those days were more emotionally charged. I wrote about my experiences with life and medicine in a way that would make a lot of people cry. And make sure you practice interviewing as well.

Hi guys!

I've put together some hints for writing a good personal statement below. These hints were gathered from several medical school websites and from our own experience with our program. Hope this helps!

The personal statement is required as a part of any application to PA school.  Many applicants make writing a personal statement a daunting task, but it does not have to be.  Below are helpful hints and topics to avoid that can help you write a good personal statement.  Topic: Why you want to be a PA?

Personal Statement Helpful Hints:

·         Engage the reader and create interest.

·         Get to the point. There is a character limit for personal statements.  One page is usually all it takes to make your                point.

·         Avoid using flowery language and/or big words throughout your statement.

·         Make sure the statement is structured in a logical order and flows nicely so it is easy to read.

·         Do not restate your resume.

·         Incorporate how your healthcare experience and non-healthcare experience (academics, volunteer, and                           leadership positions) prepared you for PA school.

·         Be insightful and analytical about your understanding of the role of the PA.  Use your clinical experiences to draw              this conclusion.

·         Call out the elephant in the room.  If you had a “hiccup” in your academic career, you should BRIEFLY address it              (i.e. death in the family, immaturity factor, poor study habits), state what you did to overcome it, and what you have            done to sustain an upward trend in your academic performance.

·         If you have a strong desire to enter a certain field of medicine, explain why. For example, if you want to go into                   primary care, what have you done to prepare yourself for this field (i.e. clinical experience opportunities, skill sets,             are you from a disadvantaged background, etc.), and the challenges PAs face, if any in the particular field.

·         Have more than one person review your statement. An advisor, career services representative, or a writing center             are good resources to utilize.

·         Avoid contractions.

·         Avoid acronyms that the common person would not know (this is especially true for military applicants).

Qualities to Portray

·         Maturity

·         Reflectiveness

·         Honesty and integrity

·         Clarity of thought

·         Passion

·         Individuality

·         Positivity

·         Logic

·         Distinctiveness

·         Commitment

·         Ability to relate to diverse people

·         Insight into the chosen health profession

·         Compassion and empathy

·         Genuineness and sincerity

·         Leadership

·         Insightfulness

·         A realistic perspective

·         Lessons learned

·         Self-awareness

Themes to Avoid

·         Clichés: Avoid starting a statement with a famous quote or with cliché’ filler statements like:

“I want to be a PA because I like science and I want to help people...”

“Ever since I was five I played with my mom/dad’s doctor’s kit..”

“I loved to play the game Operation as a child and that sparked my desire to be a PA...”

“As I watched my beloved family member pass away, I knew then I wanted to be a PA...”

·         Restating your resume’: We have already read the majority of your application up to this point, so do not retell             your life story again.

·         Story Time: Limit your personal stories about a patient or incident in the clinic to ONE no more than TWO.  The                statement should focus more the topics mentioned above.

·         The “epiphany into medicine”:  Your pursuit of the PA profession should be based on your adult experiences                up until this point, NOT an instantaneous realization.

·         Manifest Destiny: You have not always known you want to be a PA and the fact that someone tells you “you’ll                  make a great PA one day” does not justify why you should be a PA.

·         Grandiosity: Claiming that you plan to eliminate all the healthcare problems in an area is not realistic and shows a           grave lack of understanding of the profession.

·         The “humble brag”: Of course you’re special, but claiming “you probably do not see many applicants like me” is              not only arrogant, but is likely untrue.  We’ve seen it all!

·         Remember your audience: Remember people do have other biases and views that may not agree with yours so           avoid controversial topics and statements that could offend someone.  Also, remember the admissions committee             can be made up of all types of members of the healthcare team.  Avoid statements like “I want to be a PA because             PAs spend more time with their patients in comparison to physicians.” These types of situations are not always true           and you do not want to stereotype an entire profession when you’ve only been around .00000001% of them.

·         “I am a victim”: Victims are never attractive applicants and any difficulties along the way should be                                     dispassionately addressed.  These explanations should be brief and also address what you have done to                         overcome the situation and what you learned from it.

·         Excuses: Never, ever blame anyone else for difficulties in your life or academic career.

• Upvote 4

First. Paadmissions, thank you for starting this thread. As a student you can turn every scenario over in your mind, at least we have a guideline now.

I am curious about my chances as a non-traditional student applying to PA school.

I do not feel intimidated because I am non-trad, am wondering how a graduate program views/considers a non-traditional vs traditional aged student.

I am 31 years old with a husband and son. I am currently in my last year and a half of my bachelor's in Biology. I am working on elevating my gpa to stay competitive.

While taking time off from school, I worked full time as a phlebotomist in a plasma donation center. I worked over 1,200 hours doing this in addition to participating in a medical mission trip to Colombia in 2011.

On this trip my group and I set up a free clinic in an underserved area.

I worked alongside a fantastic MD in OB/GYN and had the experience of interacting one on one with Spanish speaking patients. I was allowed to perform check ups, assist in minor surgeries, consults and lab work, to paraphrase.

My first interest in PA practice is surgery and orthopedics/ortho surgery.

As my undergraduate years are quickly wrapping up, my focus needs to be on elevating my grades while having a family. It can be done and I know I can do it!

However I am concerned that a PA program will want to see more HCE. I would have to get my CNA certification while working on an already packed academic schedule. I am a bit worried that the balance will tip if I try to take that on as well.

What would you advise or think if you had me as a candidate? More HCE needed?

Also, how are non-traditional students perceived?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@taurusRampage Thank you for your questions. First, never let the fact that you're a non-trad student get in the way of your pursuit of PA school. We have several non-trad students in our program, as do all programs, and non-trad students bring a lot to the table in many ways: balancing out the class with their maturity, a more real world view of "things," etc. That said, we don't use age in our decision making process. It's all about how you present yourself to the committee. There are some non-trad students who can portray more immaturity than a traditional student and vice versa. So make sure all your ducks are in a row with academic selection factors and with your interview skills. 

In regards to your question about your HCE....that will all depend on the program you're applying to. It sounds like your experience as a phlebotomist allowed you to accrue a lot of hours and you may be set to apply. Again, I would check with the programs to make sure you don't need to consider other HCE opportunities. Many programs require 1,000 hours and that may put you exceeding the requirements. That said, if you've met that requirement you may want to consider shadowing a PA in the meantime just to demonstrate that you've spent quality time with PAs. I hope this is helpful and let me know if you have any further questions. 

Hello I have a very important question I would like help with. I have been accepted to a PA school but have deferred admission for a year. I want to apply again to a school closer to where I live while being deferred. If I get in to that school then I would give up my deferred seat, so my question is, would it be okay to reapply after being accepted to one program?  I dont want to be breaking any rules either. Does anyone have any information on this? 

@ash1 Thank you for your question. We all understand there are multiple options for PA school so if you're wanting to attend the program closer to you there's really nothing that can stop you from applying elsewhere, unless you're in a binding agreement with the program that you're set to attend.  Out of professional courtesy, if you are accepted to the other program it is expected you immediately notify the program that you're forfeiting your seat. From our standpoint, I would recommend you stay with the program that allowed you to defer your acceptance rather than seeking acceptance to another program, but that decision is ultimately up to you. Hope this helps. 

Hello I have a very important question I would like help with. I have been accepted to a PA school but have deferred admission for a year. I want to apply again to a school closer to where I live while being deferred. If I get in to that school then I would give up my deferred seat, so my question is, would it be okay to reapply after being accepted to one program?  I dont want to be breaking any rules either. Does anyone have any information on this? 

One quick question- im seeing a lot of supplemental applications that give you the option to write an additional letter regarding how you can contribute to the diversity of the program or other similar questions. These are not short essay questions Do you think it hurts your application if you do not write anything?

Hello, I would like your opinion on my chances of getting into a PA school.

Here are my stats:

-biochemistry major
-cGPA: 3.772
-sGPA: 3.738
-been volunteering at a hospital for 8 months now and will continue until graduation

-just got accepted to volunteer at a clinic that MIGHT give me some HCE
-been doing lab research for 6 months now and will continue until graduation
-certified and licensed EMT but have no work experience.
-Just got accepted into the Dissection Team (dissect the cadavers used to teach Anatomy, basically TA position)
-Former Senator for my University's student government (1 year term)
-Vice President of Communications for my fraternity (1 year term)
-Worked as a math tutor for 3 years at my University's Math center
-Student Ambassador for my University for 3 years
-Resident Hall Representative for my hall during freshmen year (kinda insignificant to me)

I know that HCE is very importantly and to be honest, I have 0 HCE. I volunteer but I don't take vitals or anything like that. I will be graduating next year with a BS in Biochemistry. My question is do I even stand a chance to apply for PA school even with my lack of HCE. I've done research on the top 150 schools and I've noticed that not all of them state that HCE is REQUIRED, but strongly recommended of course. Yet, even with that said, the stats of their 2013 incoming classes still have like 4000 HCE. I really want to attend PA school right after my undergrad. Thanks.

Also do you think PA school is harder to get into than medical school? Medical school doesn't require 2000 hours of HCE... :/