2020-2021 Application Cycle

3 hours ago, aarmst25 said:

Submitted my application a few days ago. I am a reapplicant. Wishing you all the best of luck this cycle!

Re-applicants: don’t sell yourself short!  I was on round three of applying to PSU when I was pulled from the waitlist from my second attempt!  On your application, highlight/emphasize things you have done since your last submission to improve/diversify/grow. It’s not about having the best stats with our program.  Good luck!!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

All,

I recently received the following questions about our program.  Hopefully my replies prove useful.  Feel free to post or message me with others you might have.  I respond to all questions publicly to ensure transparency and fairness for everyone.

1.  Are there opportunities for interprofessional collaboration/education with other healthcare students during the didactic year?

YES!!  In fact, the next event for our current first year students is planned for October and I am very excited to be a facilitator!  At PSU, our inter-professional education (IPE) sessions bring students together from many disciplines (medical students, nursing students, therapists, and social services to name a few) to work through case simulations to arrive at the most appropriate treatment plan for the patient.  Modern day medicine is very much a team-based approach and learning what each discipline brings to the table is key.  As PAs, we inherently value our collaborative relationship with attending physicians.  It is important to recognize the need to work collaboratively with all members of the multidisciplinary team which nearly always  produces the best outcomes for patients.  Equally important is that other professionals on the team learn and understand the PA’s role and scope of practice.  Our first year students are typically well-prepared for IPE because it is just an expansion of the team-based learning (TBL) curriculum employed by our faculty.  (Please refer time earlier posts for more information about TBL).

2.  Are clinical rotations at military institutions available?

This is best answered by our admissions team and clinical coordinator.  Due to COVID restrictions, our current clinical year students are completing many of their rotations within our Penn State Health system.  However, prior to the pandemic, students had the opportunity to explore rotations outside of the Hershey area.  If invited to interview, I encourage you to discuss your interests and the team can provide insight as to what options may be available at that time.

3.  Are there opportunities for patient contact during the didactic year?

There are several ways that first year students can have patient care experience.  First, the program will arrange for several patient simulation exercises with members of the community who volunteer for this role.  Second, many first year students find volunteering at the College run clinic, LionCare, in nearby Harrisburg an invaluable chance to hone history taking and physical exam skills.  Finally, some students will seek our providers who may be willing to have them shadow during scheduled academic breaks.  This is an especially nice option for students who are unsure what they might like to pursue for an elective rotation during their second year.

-Sue, PA-C, PSU Class of ‘17

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I can share that interviews started on 9/14.  They will continue until sometime AFTER the application deadline and anyone who submits a complete CASPA and PSU secondary by the deadline will remain under consideration until the class is filled which will only happen after the last interview.  Good luck!!

• Like 1

Hi everyone,
I can share that interviews started on 9/14.  They will continue until sometime AFTER the application deadline and anyone who submits a complete CASPA and PSU secondary by the deadline will remain under consideration until the class is filled which will only happen after the last interview.  Good luck!!

Thank you for sharing! Would you be able to share of interviews are occurring in person or virtually?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 6/3/2020 at 1:11 PM, paigem said:

Does anyone have any information regarding Penn State's current ARC PA probation status? I applied to the program but I was hoping to get a little bit more insight into why they've been placed on probation as I found the statement on their site to be a little vague.

http://www.arc-pa.org/accreditation/accredited-programs/ Use that link and you'll find a list of all programs with a doc that outlines their accreditation history!

Here's penn state: http://www.arc-pa.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/Accreditation-History-Penn-State-205.pdf

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...