2020-2021 Application Cycle

10 hours ago, Candiceprepa said:

Anyone else worried that they are on probation for accreditation? I found it to be surprising since penn state is a really good school.

They seem to be really reassuring on their website that it has nothing to do with the quality of the program, they just "didn't meet the standards for program evaluation as defined by the ARC-PA." It seems a little convoluted so it's definitely worth clarifying during interviews, but like you said, its such a credible institution I feel like they won't have a problem getting it together! 

On 11/15/2020 at 8:49 PM, Candiceprepa said:

Anyone else worried that they are on probation for accreditation? I found it to be surprising since penn state is a really good school.

Without going into detail (as that is best left to program leadership), the deficiency was in regards to the formal course review process for which ARC-PA requires very specific criteria to be met.  Along with a select group of my fellow alumni and PSCOM faculty and staff, we are part of a refined and expanded evaluation process which will ensure the Program exceeds the ARC-PA requirements and returns us to full accreditation status.  As I am also a preceptor for second year students, I can attest to their strong knowledge base and preparedness for clinical rotations which directly reflects the curriculum itself.

I hope each of you is staying safe and well.

-Sue, PA-C, Class of 2017

• Like 1

Penn State is one of the top program country wide, I wouldn't worry about it. As Sue have said its specific details that they are looking for from Penn State. As a student at PSU and speaking with various member of this department, I was told that issue on hand is being taken care of. 

I was actually accepted to a program this year that was on probation and lost their accreditation a few months later after their review. The next review for Penn State is not until Sept 2021 so there is no chance of this happening. Once matriculated into the program, if it shuts down, there would be a teach out option for the current classes. 

I guess what I am saying is to not worry. I know we all want a top notch PA education but in the end you want to be able to sit for the PANCE and after passing that is when the real education begins. 

17 hours ago, EmilyJean said:

Hey guys! How long after your application was verified did it take for you to receive the supplemental application?

Verified on 11/12, received secondary on 11/21 and completed 11/24, phase 1 interview invite 11/30 and completed 12/3.

I was told that I should hear back about the potential for a phase 2 interview 7-10 days after phase 1, did everyone else who completed phase 1 find this to be accurate?

13 minutes ago, DomRRTtoPA said:

Verified on 11/12, received secondary on 11/21 and completed 11/24, phase 1 interview invite 11/30 and completed 12/3.

I was told that I should hear back about the potential for a phase 2 interview 7-10 days after phase 1, did everyone else who completed phase 1 find this to be accurate?

Does this mean multiple interviews? 

On 6/26/2020 at 11:44 AM, AlexisA said:

Hey guys! For inputting your courses on the secondary application, I see it says that we are to only put biochemistry or organic chemistry in as they only require one. If I took both, should I still only put one? If so, do you think one is better than the other?

I just listed ochem for both slots since they list biochem and ochem (but either or is accepted from what I understand).