2020-2021 Application Cycle

Happy New Year everyone!

I hope as we enter the last few days of the application submission period at PSU that you are doing well.  I received a question about the timing of interview invites as they relate to when applications were submitted.  As always, I respond publicly to all individual inquiries for the benefit of everyone.  

I will preface this answer by saying this is the first cycle (to my knowledge) that the program has utilized this virtual format so I am not sure what kind of effect that is having.  In the past, however, and GENERALLY SPEAKING, applicants chosen to interview typically receive notice within a few weeks of submitting their application.  This trend has been consistent through every application cycle since the Program began based on my own class’s experience and posts in this forum over the years.  With that said, ALL prospective students who complete and submit both the CASPA and supplemental applications by the deadline (and meet the minimum requirements) remain under active consideration until the class is filled sometime after the last interview which usually takes place in February.  For those that may get an invite in the next few weeks, also remember that you are interviewing for an actual spot and not just for the waitlist.  While the majority of seats have LIKELY been filled, consistent with the Program’s commitment to equal opportunity, and to ensure significant diversity within the cohort, there will remain at least one open spot through the final interviews.

Hope this helps clarify things.  Best of luck!!

-Sue

• Like 1

On 1/12/2021 at 7:42 PM, sashas22 said:

Is it behavioral type questions?

Without getting specific about the types of questions, this is how I prepared. I made a list of 5 weaknesses, 5 strengths, 5 reasons I wanted to be a PA, and 5 reasons why I wanted to attend Penn State. Instead of memorizing these things as answers, I reflected upon my past experiences and how they would related to my list. In the case of the weaknesses, I wanted to show how I have been able to adapt to overcome the weakness which inevitably led to me talking about a compensating strength. Be honest but do not be self depreciating.

Before even applying you should have read through the program's mission and values. Refamiliarize yourself with them and be prepared to answer how you exemplify those values. The program wants to get to know you so make sure you have fun facts about yourself such as hobbies and other interests. 

Sorry for the late reply, I have been trying to decompress from my pre-acceptance routine of checking these board constantly. Best of luck to you! 

On 1/16/2021 at 3:38 PM, DomRRTtoPA said:

Without getting specific about the types of questions, this is how I prepared. I made a list of 5 weaknesses, 5 strengths, 5 reasons I wanted to be a PA, and 5 reasons why I wanted to attend Penn State. Instead of memorizing these things as answers, I reflected upon my past experiences and how they would related to my list. In the case of the weaknesses, I wanted to show how I have been able to adapt to overcome the weakness which inevitably led to me talking about a compensating strength. Be honest but do not be self depreciating.

Before even applying you should have read through the program's mission and values. Refamiliarize yourself with them and be prepared to answer how you exemplify those values. The program wants to get to know you so make sure you have fun facts about yourself such as hobbies and other interests. 

Sorry for the late reply, I have been trying to decompress from my pre-acceptance routine of checking these board constantly. Best of luck to you! 

No worries -  thanks! Some of the questions I expected but some threw me off a little. and the one-way format was odd. I don't think I did my best so I am hoping they look at other areas of my application as well. 

Hey just wanted to say a month or so ago I gave up my seat/acceptance, in favor of a program closer to me! But Penn State is really so cool (the program is actually super competitive), the faculty are all wonderful and the students I met seem very close-knit and determined. I liked the format of taking some group quizzes together, to learn in a team-based format. And also, anatomy/cadavers/simulation labs remained accessible in person during the pandemic. Just some fun facts about this program being cool for folks who haven't had the op to interview yet/deciding between offers. I thought the interview on SparkHire and in person were all fair, and my advice would be to prepare as you would any other interview!  Good luck everyone!

17 minutes ago, aanicoleuser said:

Hey just wanted to say a month or so ago I gave up my seat/acceptance, in favor of a program closer to me! But Penn State is really so cool (the program is actually super competitive), the faculty are all wonderful and the students I met seem very close-knit and determined. I liked the format of taking some group quizzes together, to learn in a team-based format. And also, anatomy/cadavers/simulation labs remained accessible in person during the pandemic. Just some fun facts about this program being cool for folks who haven't had the op to interview yet/deciding between offers. I thought the interview on SparkHire and in person were all fair, and my advice would be to prepare as you would any other interview!  Good luck everyone!

Thank you for this! Did they say when interviews would continue to? 

2 hours ago, caelanshirey said:

Accepted to Penn State this past Sunday! I applied back in May, did the secondary application, and didn’t hear back until about two weeks ago. Is there a Facebook group for accepted students?

Congrats! That is awesome. Penn state is a top program for me. Did they say when they would be interviewing until? Also, I believe after you submit your deposit admissions sends out students that information. 

3 hours ago, EmilyJean said:

Congrats! That is awesome. Penn state is a top program for me. Did they say when they would be interviewing until? Also, I believe after you submit your deposit admissions sends out students that information. 

Thank you! It sounded like they’ll at least have a few more sets of interviews, but I’m not sure when the cut-off is. Their admissions committee meets every two weeks from my understanding. 

35 minutes ago, caelanshirey said:

Thank you! It sounded like they’ll at least have a few more sets of interviews, but I’m not sure when the cut-off is. Their admissions committee meets every two weeks from my understanding. 

Thanks so much! Congrats and good luck my friend! You’re attending a wonderful program:) 

• Like 1

On 1/18/2021 at 5:28 PM, EmilyJean said:

Thank you for this! Did they say when interviews would continue to? 

They did not! But I believe I was in the first group of folks to get the SparkHire interview/and shortly after got the interview invite. I interviewed at the end of November ~11/27, and was accepted on 12/2. I can't speak to how many interviews they've had, but for context they did mention the school's process started a little bit later than others (initial interviews in November versus September). I think this is because they got a lott of apps this cycle, Hope that helps, good luck girlie! 

3 minutes ago, aanicoleuser said:

They did not! But I believe I was in the first group of folks to get the SparkHire interview/and shortly after got the interview invite. I interviewed at the end of November ~11/27, and was accepted on 12/2. I can't speak to how many interviews they've had, but for context they did mention the school's process started a little bit later than others (initial interviews in November versus September). I think this is because they got a lott of apps this cycle, Hope that helps, good luck girlie! 

Thanks so much :)

• 2 weeks later...