2020-2021 Application Cycle

On 5/19/2020 at 6:11 PM, arr5559 said:

Hi everyone!!

I wanted to start a thread for this years application cycle. Any other PSU alum applying for their PA program this cycle?

WE ARE!!!🦁💙🐾

Thank you for getting us started, arr5559, and thank you for your interest in Penn State- WE ARE!!  I am a proud alum of the PA Class of 2017 and have been a contributor to our program’s forum since prior to matriculating in 2015.  After graduation, I have continued to follow along and do my best to answer questions that are posted to the group.  With that said, I invite everyone to check our threads from our previous admission cycles where you can begin to get an idea of who WE ARE and a general sense of our admission process.

For full disclosure and clarification, I am NOT involved in the selection process itself.  You will see, however, that our Director of Admissions, Caryn Stopper @PennState_PA_Program participates in the forum and provides updates and clarifications.  Again, I will do my best to answer questions publicly.  You are welcome to send messages privately to maintain your anonymity, however, I will respond via the forum thread in order to uphold our program’s commitment to transparency and allow everyone to benefit from the information that is shared.

Best of luck to all on your journey to becoming a PA!

-Sue, PA-C
PSU Class of 2017                                    
Penn State Health Hospitalist Medicine

Edited by ST@PSU
  • Like 1

Hello all,

Again, thank you for your interest in Penn State!  I know this is a nerve-racking time for anyone applying to PA school (it was for me!) and I am sure the uncertainties of COVID are adding to the anxiety levels.  Although I am not a part of the application review, interview, or selection process, please be assured that ALL PROSPECTIVE STUDENTS who submit fully completed CASPA and secondary PSU supplemental applications by the January deadline WILL receive notice of receipt.  And ALL APPLICANTS who meet the minimum pre-requisites WILL remain under active consideration through the last interview sessions which typically take place in February. The class of 30 will not be filled until all candidates selected to interview have done so.  This is quite different than most programs and is meant to provide a fair opportunity to everyone who applies throughout the cycle and ensures each PSU class is well diversified in all aspects.

Please also be aware that the PSU PA program leadership, as well as all students, have been working and learning remotely for several months which, I am sure, has presented many logistical challenges.  With that said, WE ARE thrilled that the Class of 2020 graduated on time just a few weeks ago which speaks to the flexibility, ingenuity, and commitment of the program and the Penn State College of Medicine to our students.  As the College begins a phased resuming of normal operations this week, I am confident the 2020-21 admission process for the PA program will move forward and you will receive information in that regard.  Your patience is appreciated!

Good Luck!!

-Sue

• Like 5

Does anyone have any information regarding Penn State's current ARC PA probation status? I applied to the program but I was hoping to get a little bit more insight into why they've been placed on probation as I found the statement on their site to be a little vague.

Hey guys!

I submitted my Penn State application through CASPA on May 18th. No word yet from admissions regarding receipt of application. In regards to their secondary application, I found a link online but on the Physician Assistant program page it says you will receive a link to the application from admissions. Does anyone know if the link is the same as the secondary or if I should wait until I receive word from the committee? Here is the document I found: https://www.pennstatehershey.org/documents/284709/3009422/SECONDARY_APPLICATION_2014.1.pdf/e98d7232-f1de-4c58-991d-f9f3d35af2bf

12 minutes ago, AlexisA said:

Hey guys!

I submitted my Penn State application through CASPA on May 18th. No word yet from admissions regarding receipt of application. In regards to their secondary application, I found a link online but on the Physician Assistant program page it says you will receive a link to the application from admissions. Does anyone know if the link is the same as the secondary or if I should wait until I receive word from the committee? Here is the document I found: https://www.pennstatehershey.org/documents/284709/3009422/SECONDARY_APPLICATION_2014.1.pdf/e98d7232-f1de-4c58-991d-f9f3d35af2bf

You obviously read it but Penn State website states...

"All CASPA-verified applicants will receive the request to complete the secondary application. You’ll receive this request via email. There is no application fee to submit the secondary application."

it's probably the same but..

Why would you directly go against instruction when no one has stated they recieved the supplemental email? Maybe Penn State isn't ready for them.

Now I personally would wait, and maybe if others received it and you did not then I would look into it. Maybe you can send it in and tell us how it goes though lol

6 minutes ago, TylerV said:

You obviously read it but Penn State website states...

"All CASPA-verified applicants will receive the request to complete the secondary application. You’ll receive this request via email. There is no application fee to submit the secondary application."

it's probably the same but..

Why would you directly go against instruction when no one has stated they recieved the supplemental email? Maybe Penn State isn't ready for them.

Now I personally would wait, and maybe if others received it and you did not then I would look into it. Maybe you can send it in and tell us how it goes though lol

Tyler,

While I was rather taken aback by your tone in regards to my comment, I thank you for taking the time to respond. I wasn't planning on sending it in, but there is nothing wrong with being prepared, and I was not certain if anybody had heard anything more.

Thank you, though.

• Like 1

Hey guys!

Hi Alexis!

I was wondering this too but I read on their website along with old forums that we will get sent the secondary app by Penn State themselves. I know PSU has a later deadline than many other programs so I think we just have to be patient in the process. The waiting game is tough, but we’re all in this together[emoji1] As soon as someone receives a secondary request from PSU you’ll definitely hear about it in this forum, so as of right now I wouldn’t worry about it too much!

- Ashley

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, AlexisA said:

Tyler,

While I was rather taken aback by your tone in regards to my comment, I thank you for taking the time to respond. I wasn't planning on sending it in, but there is nothing wrong with being prepared, and I was not certain if anybody had heard anything more.

Thank you, though.

I apologize you took my tone the wrong way. Guess I shouldn't have been so direct and I will be thoughtful of how sensitive others are. Good luck.

Edited by TylerV

All,

Your continued patience is appreciated.  To add to my previous post, although interviews TYPICALLY begin during July or August, I do not know what effect the current circumstances will (if at all) alter that timeline.  In other words, interviews cannot begin until applicants have received, and been given the opportunity to complete, the secondary application.  Also, while the online format is new since when I applied more than 5 years ago, what I have learned is that accessing it may vary depending if you are (or have been) a PSU student (ie already have a PSU ID number).  The best thing to do is to await further instructions from the program.  I also concur with Ashley’s comment above- once there is movement on the secondary apps (as well as interviews, acceptances, etc), there is a really good chance applicants will be willing to share that information here as they have in past cycles.  By definition, PAs work in multidisciplinary, collaborative teams and you will see that a team-based approach to learning is the foundation of Penn State’s PA program curriculum (HINT: check out this article https://pennstatehealthnews.org/topics/team-based-learning-sets-college-of-medicine-physician-assistant-program-apart/ ).  I encourage everyone to extend that teamwork to the application process- you are all in this together!!  I will also again recommend checking out our threads from previous cycles, as Ashley has done, because it will provide a good sense of the ebb and flow of our admission cycle through the posts of applicants themselves.

Hang in there!

-Sue

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 6/3/2020 at 1:11 PM, paigem said:

Does anyone have any information regarding Penn State's current ARC PA probation status? I applied to the program but I was hoping to get a little bit more insight into why they've been placed on probation as I found the statement on their site to be a little vague.

I do not but @PennState_PA_Program may be able to comment.

Hey everybody,

I just got an e-mail confirming my application for the 2020-2021 cycle.

For anyone who hasn't received it yet it says to expect the secondary application sometime between June 15th and 17th.

As always, best of luck to everyone, and thank you Sue for shedding light on our questions. 

• Like 4

On 6/5/2020 at 10:02 AM, arr5559 said:

Hey Ashley! 

I appreciate your input 🙂 I just received an e-mail today regarding next steps for the secondary application. I guess we should be receiving a link next week.

Best of luck.

-Alexis

Hi Alexis!

I was wondering this too but I read on their website along with old forums that we will get sent the secondary app by Penn State themselves. I know PSU has a later deadline than many other programs so I think we just have to be patient in the process. The waiting game is tough, but we’re all in this togetheremoji1.png As soon as someone receives a secondary request from PSU you’ll definitely hear about it in this forum, so as of right now I wouldn’t worry about it too much!

- Ashley

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Yeah!  Way to rock it, team!  Another tip: when you get the secondary app, try not to rush to finish it at the expense of not truly reflecting on your responses.  Be authentic.  Consider highlighting things about yourself (characteristics, accomplishments, activities, interests, motivations, ideals, perspectives, life experiences, etc) that your CASPA application or narrative may not reveal.  Our admissions team sincerely wants to get to know YOU- not just your stats.  

• Like 3

Hi everyone! I wanted to post my timeline now that PSU has received my app. 

Submitted 5/26

Verified 5/26

Received 6/8 (email states "We are currently processing your CASPA application. The Penn State PA Program will go-live with the secondary application on June 15. On or about June 17, you will receive your unique login credentials with instructions on how to create your password, access and complete the secondary application.")

Secondary application sent 6/24 

Edited by mlbosack
  • Like 1

Hey guys! I applied to PSU last year-- they send you instructions to access a student portal where you can find the supplemental app. Last year I got it late June/early July. 

On CASPA they say their app cycle is from July-Jan. So, I wouldn't be too worried if you haven't received anything from them yet, they're just getting started! 

Hope this helps with any confusion!

Best of luck to everyone this year 🙂 

• Like 3