On 8/24/2020 at 2:34 PM, Futurehuman said:

Hi everyone I submitted about a week ago and received an email stating my application won't be reviewed until I have the required patient care hours. I am a clinical research assistant at a local VA, where in CASPA I logged my experiences in blocks. I would say in my average 40/hr work week I cover about 20/hr research experience, 10 hr patient care experience, 10 hr health care experience. I have been working there for 2 years - which means by January it will be about 1,120 hours of direct patient care with my calculations. Overall in my position it will be about 4,500 hours working in a hospital on this clinical trial focusing on human patients... not sure who I should speak to or if it's worth advocating for? Any advice greatly appreciated!

From what I know, your direct patient hours have to be completed by the time you submit your application. Also you would have to call the school and see if these PCE count. For example, medical scribing counts for this program but there are many schools where they don't consider it to be direct patient care. Also for this school specifically I believe you need 2,000 hours minimum at the time of applying to qualify. Hope this helps! Good luck 🙂

• 2 weeks later...
Hi everyone!
i just received an email stating that im missing medical terminology. My 2020 PA Manuel said it was a recommended class but I guess it’s not. Anyone know of a one unit medical term class that can be completed by January ? Thanks so much! 

Yes! There’s an all online school in AZ called Rio Salado Community College that offers dynamically dated classes and offers Medical Terminology. You can do it in 14 or 8 weeks and it’s usually pretty much self-paced so you can complete it early if you want. Classes are pretty cheap too depending on the credit amount. Let me know if you have any questions!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Paapp20202021
On 9/16/2020 at 6:36 PM, dvspa said:

Yes! There’s an all online school in AZ called Rio Salado Community College that offers dynamically dated classes and offers Medical Terminology. You can do it in 14 or 8 weeks and it’s usually pretty much self-paced so you can complete it early if you want. Classes are pretty cheap too depending on the credit amount. Let me know if you have any questions!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did anyone attend the info session yesterday? 

On 8/6/2020 at 1:44 PM, KortneyDaly said:

Website states, "Interviews will be held in January and February 2021. Rolling admission offers will be made after interviews begin. We anticipate that the class will be seated by Summer 2021." I hope this helps!

this was helpful for me, thank you!! 🙂 best of luck 

• Like 2

Does anybody know about how strict their sociology requirement is? I have taken a couple intro level sociology classes in undergrad but their titles are not "Intro to Sociology" or "Cultural Anthropology" and I'm afraid if apply they won't accept any of them. 

Edited by kwPA99

On 10/19/2020 at 3:18 PM, kwPA99 said:

Does anybody know about how strict their sociology requirement is? I have taken a couple intro level sociology classes in undergrad but their titles are not "Intro to Sociology" or "Cultural Anthropology" and I'm afraid if apply they won't accept any of them. 

Definitely email them! I’ve had to email a few schools with information directly from the catalog and even syllabus. Most schools are lenient depending on the week-by-week descriptions.

Guest dean227

What do you guys think of the email stating Southern is now on probation for accreditation status? Would you still accept an offer since the review is done in 2022? 

24 minutes ago, dean227 said:

What do you guys think of the email stating Southern is now on probation for accreditation status? Would you still accept an offer since the review is done in 2022? 

Probation status can be due to a silly reason or a serious one. Just wait to read the official report from arc-pa to find out the reasoning for their probation status. Don't freak out over a probation status until you find the official reasons, so don't reject an interview invite or rescind your app (in case you, or anyone, was concerned) 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Paapp20202021
On 10/30/2020 at 9:53 PM, thehopefulprepa said:

Probation status can be due to a silly reason or a serious one. Just wait to read the official report from arc-pa to find out the reasoning for their probation status. Don't freak out over a probation status until you find the official reasons, so don't reject an interview invite or rescind your app (in case you, or anyone, was concerned) 

I wonder why nobody has been called for an interview yet? Last years cycle, on the forum, people were already receiving interview invites around this time!

Hi guys! I'm a PA student at SCU and just wanted to help you all out - the first round of interview invites went out right around this time last cycle.. hopefully some of you hear really soon! Also, the probation status is entirely because of administrative problems - nothing to do with the quality of education of the PA program 🙂 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 11/26/2020 at 11:30 AM, Paapp20202021 said:

I wonder why nobody has been called for an interview yet? Last years cycle, on the forum, people were already receiving interview invites around this time!

I was under the impression they were non-rolling admissions and it looks like their app doesnt close until 1/15/2021. I may have written something down wrong between Jan and now though LOL

On 11/27/2020 at 5:38 PM, Puravida said:

Hi guys! I'm a PA student at SCU and just wanted to help you all out - the first round of interview invites went out right around this time last cycle.. hopefully some of you hear really soon! Also, the probation status is entirely because of administrative problems - nothing to do with the quality of education of the PA program 🙂 

Thank you for the additional info. Are you in didactic or rotation year? What do you like best about SCU’s program? How has the online curriculum been or are you in-person now? Any info you can provide about your experience so far would be much appreciated.

I went to SCU for accelerated learning and loved the educational experience, campus amenities, and interaction with other programs. Thanks again for sharing.

Edited by KortneyDaly

On 11/27/2020 at 5:38 PM, Puravida said:

thank you!!

• Like 1

On 11/28/2020 at 6:06 PM, KortneyDaly said:

Thank you for the additional info. Are you in didactic or rotation year? What do you like best about SCU’s program? How has the online curriculum been or are you in-person now? Any info you can provide about your experience so far would be much appreciated.

I went to SCU for accelerated learning and loved the educational experience, campus amenities, and interaction with other programs. Thanks again for sharing.

Hi! I'm in didactic year, I started this September and am just about to finish term 1. So I got in last application cycle. It's all been online since the very start obviously because of COVID, but I am impressed with the level of education that's still delivered. It's not ideal doing PA school online, I would still rather it be in person (more so for the social aspect) but it works well on Zoom! I really like all the professors, some of them are excellent teachers and they really convey their enthusiasm and passion to us. The faculty redid the curriculum too so the courses overlap in their information - this is SO good because what we're learning in clin med we're covering in anatomy and pathophysiology at the same time! My understanding is that this new curriculum will be the same for you next year, which is great. Not all programs are designed like this. Anyway, it's been good minus missing out on getting to know my classmates a bit better and doing anatomy lab online.. saying that, we all stay in touch and regularly message (all 50 of us) on an app and it's thoroughly entertaining - don't feel alone at all. Plus we have Zoom study sessions. Hope I helped

Also the school has provided us with some awesome online resources

Edited by Puravida
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Puravida said:

Hi! I'm in didactic year, I started this September and am just about to finish term 1. So I got in last application cycle. It's all been online since the very start obviously because of COVID, but I am impressed with the level of education that's still delivered. It's not ideal doing PA school online, I would still rather it be in person (more so for the social aspect) but it works well on Zoom! I really like all the professors, some of them are excellent teachers and they really convey their enthusiasm and passion to us. The faculty redid the curriculum too so the courses overlap in their information - this is SO good because what we're learning in clin med we're covering in anatomy and pathophysiology at the same time! My understanding is that this new curriculum will be the same for you next year, which is great. Not all programs are designed like this. Anyway, it's been good minus missing out on getting to know my classmates a bit better and doing anatomy lab online.. saying that, we all stay in touch and regularly message (all 50 of us) on an app and it's thoroughly entertaining - don't feel alone at all. Plus we have Zoom study sessions. Hope I helped

I appreciated this! Thank you for the info! 🙂

• Like 1

Guest Paapp20202021
42 minutes ago, Puravida said:

When do you think we should hear back from admissions?