An hour commute with 12 hour shifts?

Hi! 

I am a new graduate, and looking into job opportunities. Wondering if anyone has insight into what it's like commuting an hour for 12 to 16 hour shifts (about shifts 3 per week)? I'm looking into surgical specialities, and one got back to me regarding this type of schedule. In theory I'm totally fine with the commute, but just looking for someone with experience doing this and your opinion on it. Thank you so much!! 

• Like 1

I did this in my younger years. It sucks.

I worked in an urban ER that took about an hour (hour and a half in the rain)  to get to in heavy traffic in a metropolitan area. 

Then I did a 12-15 hour shift depending on paperwork and charting. 

On more than one occasion - I had to call my husband to come drive me home because I would have fallen asleep at the wheel - in my late 20s. 

I wouldn't do that now for any amount of money. 

The only blessing was that I only had to work 10 shifts a month back then and NEVER put them back to back. No kids back then. 

Now, I do days and days only. The only thing that works for my body and my family. 

• Upvote 2

I see only one benefit to this.  It gives you an hour to wind down between work and home.  I'd get home from an ED shift after midnight and sit at my computer perusing the web for an hour or so just to get wind down ("wound down", thanks autocorrect) enough to be able to go to bed.  I'd be concerned about falling asleep as well as RC2 mentioned.

Edited by GetMeOuttaThisMess

Is it a 12 hour day shift or night shift? Night shift is not worth it as you can fall asleep behind the wheel, no $ is worth the risk. Not to mention you'll probably be hitting the morning commute traffic home if you're in an urban metropolitan area. Day shift is much more do-able since you only gotta deal with commuting 3x a week. 

I've been doing a schedule like that for 7 years now.   If the hour drive is reliably an hour, that's easier (I drive mostly more rural roads, rarely have to worry about traffic).  I did 12's for 6 years and it was fine (9a-9p).  Now I still have same commute time but I'm doing 10's that can turn into 12's.   Day shift is okay.  Night shift is roooouuuugh.   

Did I wish I had a shorter commute?  Absolutely.  Is it doable?  Yes.  

Also think about your car.  I've put 25K miles on it in the last year.  

• Upvote 1

I think it's absolutely doable for the right job.  I commute 1:15 three consecutive nights each week for 12 hour shifts.  To me, it's worth it, as I like the hospital, the job, and my coworkers.  And I like my home, and moving isn't an option.  It's 90% rural driving, so traffic isn't generally an issue.

Years ago I commuted 2.5 hours for two 24 hour ED shifts weekly.  Didn't mind that either, as I loved the hospital.  But staying awake on the way home could be difficult if I was unable to get any rest during the night, which was, fortunately, rare.

I did some locums work a few years back, also 2.5 hours from home.  But it was a difficult hospital in which to work, usually nonstop busy, and I didn't like much of the hospital staff.  And they didn't pay all that well.  So that just wasn't worth continuing.

I use the commute time to listen to podcasts and relax.  And it helps to have a comfortable vehicle!

I have been doing this for 5 years. 55 minutes each way if no traffic. 12 hr shifts, mix of days and nights.

It has been working out OK. It is a bit painful, but I like my job so it has been worth it.

When I work nights I fight traffic both ways with commute time typically 1.5hrs, and that is particularly painful on the drive home in the AM. If I am falling asleep driving, I will pull over and nap (I have a couple of secure quiet spots picked out).

A couple of years ago I got a new car with safety features (proximity detection, dynamic cruise control, emergency braking) and that has really made my commute safer. Saved my bacon on a couple of occasions, highly recommended.

I would say if the job opportunity looks good, try it for a year or so. You can always switch jobs, if it's not viable.

Did it for 4 years, 90mins in the morning, 55mins home. (11) 12 hour shifts a month...which would regularly progress to 13hrs of working. Did the math and realized I was spending over 24hours a month in my car, away from my family. Found a spot closer to home.

It's definitely doable, there are people that commute 90mins each way 5 days a week right? It just sucks and is not conducive to a good quality of life (my opinion, YMMV)

Edit: This was a fantastic job which got me great experience which allowed me to move closer to home, wouldn't have changed the experience for anything, just couldn't do it anymore

Edited by MediMike

I have a 45 minute commute with 8 hour shifts, I end up putting about 25k miles per year on my truck.

My suggestion is this - buy a vehicle you really enjoy and if music is important to you, make sure you get a nice sound system.  A lot of folks will get a "beater" when they drive long commutes to save money and not beat up a nice vehicle.  I bought a fairly new full sized truck.  I enjoy driving it, I like sitting up high, and it makes my commute tolerable..   

I spend 9 hours per week on the road, I want to enjoy that time.

I did it for an EM job for a little over one year. Shift was 10am to 10pm. I agree with the general consensus here that it sucks. You're talking AT LEAST at 15 hour day revolving around work (getting ready in the morning, commute, actual shift time). The ability to anything else somewhat productive on days you work is shot. Depending on how busy shift was I was dog tired when I got home. If you have a family (even if it's just a dog like me) you might feel incredibly guilty for the amount of time you miss around them. And if the schedule is bad that month, either just luck of the draw or you are covering someone who is out for vacation/maternity/sick/whatever and you work 5 or 6+ days in a row you will be extremely tired towards the end of that stretch to where it really didn't feel safe driving home at night. 

As others have said, it puts miles on your car and you spend a bunch of money on gas each week. I bought a new Jeep and was actually getting quite upset that I was on pace to put about 27k miles on it that year.

I would never do it again except for an unrealistically high amount of money.

I did it for an EM job for a little over one year. Shift was 10am to 10pm. I agree with the general consensus here that it sucks. You're talking AT LEAST at 15 hour day revolving around work (getting ready in the morning, commute, actual shift time). The ability to anything else somewhat productive on days you work is shot. Depending on how busy shift was I was dog tired when I got home. If you have a family (even if it's just a dog like me) you might feel incredibly guilty for the amount of time you miss around them. And if the schedule is bad that month, either just luck of the draw or you are covering someone who is out for vacation/maternity/sick/whatever and you work 5 or 6+ days in a row you will be extremely tired towards the end of that stretch to where it really didn't feel safe driving home at night. 
As others have said, it puts miles on your car and you spend a bunch of money on gas each week. I bought a new Jeep and was actually getting quite upset that I was on pace to put about 27k miles on it that year.
I would never do it again except for an unrealistically high amount of money.

But you could’ve driven to/from work “naked” if you had a Wrangler.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Guest HanSolo

I do about a 50-60 minute commute for 3-4 12s/week. My drive is counter commute, there is no traffic, and it's almost entirely highway. I like the job and am not sure I would find a better one closer by. Of course I casually look, but I don't see myself leaving anytime soon. I'd leave for a student health clinic somewhere at a University where you get the summers off or drastically reduced hours, even if it is lower pay, but at this point that is probably only thing on my horizon. Personally, I find the 1-on-1-off schedule or 2-on-2-off more sustainable than 3-4 shifts in a row. 

If you do end up considering a longer commute, consider the type of commute it will be. Bumper to bumper for 30 minutes going only 5-10 miles can seem like an eternity compared to an hour going 70mph on the interstate.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/15/2020 at 9:38 AM, GetMeOuttaThisMess said:

I see only one benefit to this.  It gives you an hour to wind down between work and home.  I'd get home from an ED shift after midnight and sit at my computer perusing the web for an hour or so just to get wind down ("wound down", thanks autocorrect) enough to be able to go to bed.  I'd be concerned about falling asleep as well as RC2 mentioned.

On 5/16/2020 at 6:13 PM, FiremedicMike said:

My suggestion is this - buy a vehicle you really enjoy and if music is important to you, make sure you get a nice sound system.  A lot of folks will get a "beater" when they drive long commutes to save money and not beat up a nice vehicle.  I bought a fairly new full sized truck.  I enjoy driving it, I like sitting up high, and it makes my commute tolerable..   

I spend 9 hours per week on the road, I want to enjoy that time.

On 5/19/2020 at 1:06 PM, HanSolo said:

If you do end up considering a longer commute, consider the type of commute it will be. Bumper to bumper for 30 minutes going only 5-10 miles can seem like an eternity compared to an hour going 70mph on the interstate.

I second this. Did an hour commute each way (with slow, heavy traffic for part of it) Mon-Fri approx 8-10+ hours per shift in my beater right out of school. Was ok initially but I didn't want the additional wear and tear of 22k miles per year on an already mature vehicle. Also felt silly parking my dented and paint chipped car with a bent antenna next to the Benzes and Porsches in the doctors parking. Haha. So I bought a lightly used car and loved it. Didn't get all the bells and whistles but it had a nice sound system and good mpg. Enjoyed the time ramping up for the day to good music on the way in and zoning out on my way home. Spouse worked same distance but completely opposite direction, so it was the best we could do. After three years, spouse switched jobs and worked a little closer, so we moved to be even more central to our locales and my commute was completely against traffic and time was cut in half. Best thing ever. More time spent sleeping and doing other more important things than sitting in a car. 

Additional advice: don't buy a new car; get a 2-3+ year old car. If you do end up moving, try to stay as central as possible to allow for travel flexibility in case your work situation changes. 

Edited by SedRate