VA HPSP 2020

2 minutes ago, RBroder3 said:

I was referred today and I'm not a Veteran. I applied 04/23/2020 for the HPSP-BSN, but like Ken, this forum has been super helpful so I have been following it. I hope you PA's don't mind we're all tagging along. 🙂

I’m applying for the HPSP-BSN as well!

4 minutes ago, RBroder3 said:

I was referred today and I'm not a Veteran. I applied 04/23/2020 for the HPSP-BSN, but like Ken, this forum has been super helpful so I have been following it. I hope you PA's don't mind we're all tagging along. 🙂

Best of luck! I have a couple questions do you mind if I just private message you? 

1 hour ago, FuturePA421 said:

I’m referred, I’m not a veteran, and I’m starting my first year of PA school.

Okay I’m going to say this just to clear some confusion. Every single applicant gets referred if you properly filled out the forms and meet the minimum requirements. Once referred the selection committee may take one day or until mid-July to accept, reject, or put you on hold (normally all final decisions are done by mid-june but with the deadline extended it might be later like July). I know this because I was accepted in early April this cycle and applied last year as well. Waited last year until mid June to discover my fate. Also from my understanding there are separate pools depending on your profession, so I do not believe there is cross competition but that is merely an assumption. Best of luck everyone.

P.S. - no I am not a veteran but I did volunteer at my local VA hospital

Apology accepted @PApplicant19

Edited by uwbadger11
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, uwbadger11 said:

Okay I’m going to say this just to clear some confusion. Every single applicant gets referred if you properly filled out the forms and meet the minimum requirements. Once referred the selection committee may take one day or until mid-July to accept, reject, or put you on hold (normally all final decisions are done by mid-june but with the deadline extended it might be later like July). I know this because I was accepted in early April this cycle and applied last year as well. Waited last year until mid June to discover my fate. Also from my understanding there are separate pools depending on your profession, so I do not believe there is cross competition but that is merely an assumption. Best of luck everyone.

May I ask what you mean when you say you were accepted in early April this cycle? 

9 minutes ago, uwbadger11 said:

Thanks for that! It’s like you were reading my mind because I was just about to ask if we only go against our profession or everyone. You were accepted this year in April? Do you mind sharing the timeline? I know it’s different for everyone but I’m curious how yours went if you don’t mind sharing! @uwbadger11

30 minutes ago, PAdude27 said:

May I ask what you mean when you say you were accepted in early April this cycle?

26 minutes ago, Ken313627 said:

Thanks for that! It’s like you were reading my mind because I was just about to ask if we only go against our profession or everyone. You were accepted this year in April? Do you mind sharing the timeline? I know it’s different for everyone but I’m curious how yours went if you don’t mind sharing! @uwbadger11

I submitted my application March 25th or sometime around that date, and I was offered a scholarship April 10th. I accepted the offer. I had all my materials ready to submit early but was having trouble getting in contact with my previous employer for a reference otherwise it would have been submitted like March 6th. I learned from last year that they offer scholarships in a “rolling” fashion so I made sure to apply early.

I have 17 months that will be covered by the scholarship, I started PA school in August of 2019.

Edited by uwbadger11

6 minutes ago, uwbadger11 said:

I submitted my application March 25th or sometime around that date, and I was offered a scholarship April 10th. I accepted the offer. I had all my materials ready to submit early but was having trouble getting in contact with my previous employer for a reference otherwise it would have been submitted like March 6th. I learned from last year that they offer scholarships in a “rolling” fashion so I made sure to apply early.

Congratulations! Did they say anything about rounds? Or was it just referral to the committee and then two weeks later you were accepted? 

2 minutes ago, Ken313627 said:

Congratulations! Did they say anything about rounds? Or was it just referral to the committee and then two weeks later you were accepted? 

Referral and then two weeks later an offer. They might do a round every week or every other week but I’m not exactly sure how they space it out.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, uwbadger11 said:

I have 17 months that will be covered by the scholarship, I started PA school in August of 2019.

Congratulations, that is awesome! Thank you for sharing 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, RBroder3 said:

So, in the depths of my insomnia, I checked on my status. I was "referred" now I am back to "received." That's probably a sign I was not selected, right? Anyone else change to "received" or are most of you still in "referred" status? 

Interesting! Mine never even changed to say referred. It still says received. Haha maybe I’m not even being considered 

32 minutes ago, emccoskey said:

I received an email a couple of weeks ago saying that I did not get the scholarship at this time but I am on the alternate list and they will let me know by September. I’m optimistic as it’s still early! Best of luck to everyone! 

Is this what “on hold” means that @uwbadger11is referring to? Best of luck to you. I saw in another forum that they often pick from the alternate list! Delayed but not denied 🙂 

9 minutes ago, ZJ1414 said:

What other forums have you seen information about the scholarship on. I've searched but haven't found many other forums.

Try this link. Someone who mentioned they received the scholarship last year on page one of this forum (I think sandie something) and I went to her page and she was apart of this forum that I found. Also there’s one on Student Doctor Network but it’s not as informative as the PA forums are! 

Just got my rejection email today, got my referred email on May 1st and was notified today about not being selected. Definitely bummed out but I wanted to do the NSHC scholarship anyways so hopefully I have a shot at that! I am a first year PA student and asked for two years of funding. Good luck to the rest of you!