VA HPSP 2020

13 hours ago, campingchristina said:

Take a deep dive into the VA website. They should have a list of everything you will need to submit. You need transcripts, your current school's fees and tuition, a one page recommendation from your program director and one other person. It is quite a few documents, but they are clear on what you need.

go to usajobs.gov and search for the scholarship. That is how you will apply for it.

But what if this is your first semester, are you suppose to reach out to the program director for the recommendation?? The application is pretty straight forward just that part is confusing. Any advise will help. Thank you

1 hour ago, Melo07 said:

But what if this is your first semester, are you suppose to reach out to the program director for the recommendation?? The application is pretty straight forward just that part is confusing. Any advise will help. Thank you

I hadn't even started my program when I asked. Just explain what it is and why you need it and they should be happy to fill it out for you. Students getting scholarships looks good for any program, so they are usually happy to oblige - especially since the form is super basic and they don't really need to know you that well to fill it out. 

1 hour ago, campingchristina said:

I hadn't even started my program when I asked. Just explain what it is and why you need it and they should be happy to fill it out for you. Students getting scholarships looks good for any program, so they are usually happy to oblige - especially since the form is super basic and they don't really need to know you that well to fill it out. 

Thanks, I really appreciate it. Are you done with your program?

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/17/2019 at 9:20 AM, KKandG said:

Good Morning fellow veterans,

Here is some information I received regarding the VA scholarship for 2020. 

The application will open again around March 2020. The list of specific programs of study that HPSP will target in 2020 are Nursing (All Levels), Pharmacy, Diagnostic Radiological Technicians, Physician Assistants, and Medical Technologists. 

To qualify for this Scholarship Program, you must be a U.S. citizen, unconditionally accepted for enrollment or currently enrolled in a program of study leading to a degree as determined by the Scholarship Program office just prior to the application opening. These occupations are determined by evaluating the VA Workforce Succession Plan and then targeting the Top 5 Title 38/Hybrid Title 38 hard to recruit/retain occupations in the VA. After completion of your education, you must serve as a full-time clinical VA employee for a minimum of two years for HPSP. If you are under a service obligation to serve at another entity or obligated under any other Federal program, you will be ineligible for the HPSP Scholarship Award. 

We encourage an active participation in the placement process by encouraging the participant to apply for positions in USAJobs as the HPSP staff work to market the participant nationally within the student's perspective occupation. All during the placement process, the staff is also seeking residency opportunities for the student. The placement is a collaborative effort between the HPSP Placement/Residency staff and the graduating student. For HPSP students, this collaboration also includes occupational specialty considerations. 
For HPSP, we top off any existing grants and scholarship up to 100% tuition and approved fees. There is also a monthly stipend of $1,114 while you are in school as well as a once a year stipend of $1,125 for books. If you are a current full time Federal Employee, you will not qualify to receive the monthly stipend is selected. If you are receiving the GI Bill, this program will only supplement what you are receiving, and you can receive both the GI Bill monthly stipend and the HPSP monthly stipend concurrently.

Clinical Tour: (HPSP Only): Applicant must be willing to perform a clinical tour, at a VA healthcare facility, while the participant is enrolled in the course of education or training for which a scholarship is awarded.  The student is responsible to contact the school's clinical tour coordinator to determine the assignment and location of the clinical tour. The intent of the clinical tour requirement is not to add an additional burden onto the student but to exchange a current curriculum requirement with a VA Clinical.  If there are no existing affiliations or if space availability is an issue, please notify the scholarship team.
Residencies (non-Medical School Students) are authorized, and you would have to request a Service Obligation Deferment.  After graduation, you can defer your service obligation till the residency is complete. You will incur an additional ½ the residency time to the service obligation. For example, if you graduate and owe 2-years to the VA, and then take a 1-year residency, you will incur and additional 6-months service obligation making your total service obligation 2 years and 6 months. If the residency is with the VA, the time in the residency does not count towards your service obligation and the additional time incurs as previously mentioned. Right now, only residencies of 1-year or less are being approved prior to the onset of the student Service Obligation.

Hello, thank you for this information. I am doing research on this scholarship since I have just received my acceptance letter for PA school. I am interested in learn more details about the clinical tour involved. What exactly does that entail? Is it doable during the didactic year of PA school? Any information helps, thank you!!

On 3/5/2020 at 10:38 PM, campingchristina said:

Hi, one of the requirement is the GPA. Since you didn't start your program yet, did you use your transcript when you graduated with your bachelor degree?

6 hours ago, ang46 said:

Hi, one of the requirement is the GPA. Since you didn't start your program yet, did you use your transcript when you graduated with your bachelor degree?

Direct from VA Form 10-0491 (the academic verification form required)

"Undergraduate Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) need not be identified if the student has completed 15 or more graduate hours and is pursuing a graduate degree. If the student has not achieved 15 hours of graduate credit, identify CGPA and credit hours for all undergraduate hours and if applicable, CGPA on credit hours for all graduate academic courses completed"

Your program director, will fill out the GPA portion with your undergraduate GPA. hope this helps.

Hey all! I'm currently filling out an application for the HPSP and I have two general questions some of you may be able to answer for me (sooner than HPSP emailing back).

1. On form vha-10-0491 

- My program advisor literally emailed me back and told me to fill it out myself lol. What do I put down for q. 5 Clinical Program? I already put down the name of my school on q. 3 and the degree on q. 6.

- When it comes to listing the courses per semester, my program offers 7 classes per semester but there's only 5 spaces on form. Should I continue them on the following semester spaces? 

Thanks in advance!! 

1 hour ago, Angie945 said:

Hey all! I'm currently filling out an application for the HPSP and I have two general questions some of you may be able to answer for me (sooner than HPSP emailing back).

1. On form vha-10-0491 

- My program advisor literally emailed me back and told me to fill it out myself lol. What do I put down for q. 5 Clinical Program? I already put down the name of my school on q. 3 and the degree on q. 6.

- When it comes to listing the courses per semester, my program offers 7 classes per semester but there's only 5 spaces on form. Should I continue them on the following semester spaces? 

Thanks in advance!! 

At the top of VA Form 10-0491 it states:

"This 'Academic Verification' form is part of the application package and must be completed by the Dean/Program Director, or Administrative Chair of applicant's program."

Email the form to your program director. There is information required that the program director would know that your advisor probably wouldn't. Your are not supposed to fill this form out except for the "Information of Applicant" section. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Hi @Angie945,

Don't fret!  I think that some programs and administrative officials may be especially busy right now.  The information being asked for on the Academic Verification form is all general knowledge info that your program has likely given you already or that which you can easily find online.  If you plug in the course data, your Program Director will review it for correctness and sign it before sending it back to you, and that is the important part. 

If you are still questioning anything email the POC provided within the "Required Documents" portion of the USA Jobs application.  He'll answer any questions you may have as well as provide a complete application guide to help you out.    

I put Physician Assistant for clinical program.  I interpreted it as the program being applied, and the same in which my clinical experience within the scholarship will come from.  When entering more classes than lines provided in semester blocks I grouped together similar classes and tallied the credits for them in the required sections.  

I hope that helps you!  Goodluck.

Edited by nicksnick717
  • Like 1

I can’t say for sure yes or no, but my theory was that the application is pretty short and not super time intensive (essays are short, only two evaluation forms, and the app was just checking boxes), so anywhere I can write more information to portray myself clearer to the committee I took advantage. I filled out that box to its entirety. Just my 2 cents. 

• Like 1

On 2/21/2020 at 11:06 AM, sandiegoliving said:

I am a 2019 recipient of this scholarship, for those who have questions.  

Hello! 

Do you remember how long it took to hear back about a decision after the deadline? I know most schools start in the summer so I am wondering if we will find out before school starts? 

On 4/14/2020 at 6:08 PM, Ken313627 said:

Hello! 

Do you remember how long it took to hear back about a decision after the deadline? I know most schools start in the summer so I am wondering if we will find out before school starts? 

I didn't hear back until June, maybe. My program started in May. But some people hear earlier. 

7 hours ago, LeBronisGOAT said:

Curious are you guys submitting 1 or 2 evaluations from a faculty member?

From my understanding, they require one from faculty and one from your employer/supervisor/someone with strong credentials who has known you at least 2 years. If you submit two from the same category, they will only consider the first submission.

2 hours ago, crose311 said:

Does anyone know what cities are commonly listed for HPSP recipients to be placed? I’d like to stay in Atlanta and am wondering how much they take recipients’ placement desires into consideration. 

It comes down to if there are job openings in Atlanta at the time you are nearing graduation and beginning the job hunt. If there are openings in Atlanta then its like any other job. Still always a chance you aren’t picked and another person is hired. You sign the mobility agreement form for this reason. If you aren’t able to land a job where you want, you are required to go elsewhere to start at a different VA. 

Is anybody else having trouble filling out the Academic Verification form (VA Form 10-0491)?  It only gives you 5 lines per semester to list classes/fees but my program has 32 credits/semester so 5 lines is not nearly enough.  Also did you list all of the courses that you have taken so far for your program or did you just fill in what you have left starting with next semester? I sent an e-mail to the email address listed on USAjobs.com but have not heard anything back.  Any insight as to what everyone else did would be helpful! Thanks in advance!

20 hours ago, tee0005 said:

Is anybody else having trouble filling out the Academic Verification form (VA Form 10-0491)?  It only gives you 5 lines per semester to list classes/fees but my program has 32 credits/semester so 5 lines is not nearly enough.  Also did you list all of the courses that you have taken so far for your program or did you just fill in what you have left starting with next semester? I sent an e-mail to the email address listed on USAjobs.com but have not heard anything back.  Any insight as to what everyone else did would be helpful! Thanks in advance!

I added pages to that pdf and used online tools that would allow me to merge pages into a fixed pdf. I wouldn’t leave any expenses off the list and be very clear when writing the dates of semesters. Hope that helps.

21 hours ago, tee0005 said:

Just fill in what you have left and add extra pages if you need to. PM me if you have more questions

10 hours ago, LeBronisGOAT said:

Does anyone know if we're in a disadvantage if we submitted the application later in the cycle?

It is rolling admissions, so they begin accepting people after the first applications come in but I’m sure they save a significant number of spots for when the cycle closes and then can review all remaining applications then.