VA HPSP 2020

6 minutes ago, multiculturalmarylander said:

Thank you! I have a question: I’m currently filling out the application and I don’t see any essay prompts? Are there any essays we need to write or do we simply submit the Evaluation, transcripts, and resume?

The three essays should be on the application on pages 4 and 5 I believe. You might have missed them since they’re tucked in the middle.

34 minutes ago, multiculturalmarylander said:

Thank you! I have a question: I’m currently filling out the application and I don’t see any essay prompts? Are there any essays we need to write or do we simply submit the Evaluation, transcripts, and resume?

25 minutes ago, Ken313627 said:

The three essays should be on the application on pages 4 and 5 I believe. You might have missed them since they’re tucked in the middle.

Would that be on the usajobs portion of the application or on the redirect to the veterans affairs website?

Edited by multiculturalmarylander

4 minutes ago, multiculturalmarylander said:

Would that be on the usajobs portion of the application or on the redirect to the veterans affairs website?

It’s one of the required forms, and totally necessary to apply for it. There should be a clear way to download it on the USA Jobs announcement. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, multiculturalmarylander said:

There are 6-8 documents you will need to complete and then upload with your USA jobs application, including the application itself (which has the essay prompts), 2-3 letters of recommendation, federal employment declaration, etc. These all have to be printed, signed, etc by the appropriate parties. It took me 2-3 weeks to get my packet put together by the time I collected transcripts, filled everything out, got my recommendation letters back, etc. These documents are individually linked under the “required documents” portion of the job description on the USAJobs listing. 

4 hours ago, dermpa2022 said:

Looking for words of wisdom for the VA HPSP app! Please PM for anything ya got thanks 🙂 

Not sure what you’re looking for as far as advice since everything is pretty clearly laid out on the website and they’re very responsive to questions. But I will say that if you’re hoping to do derm, as your username suggests, i assume you’re aware Derm is highly competitive even on the civilian side and no less elusive in the VA. If you’re willing to move anywhere it may happen but you should be prepared to serve your two years in IM, psych, EM, etc. 

They want to see a good GPA above 3.0, some kind of commitment or sincerity toward serving veterans, good LOR, and follow the directions exactly dotting your i’s and crossing your t’s. Second year PA students (or upperclassmen for other professions like PharmD, MD) get priority due to funding. 

3 hours ago, NutraRoots said:

Has anyone heard back regarding their decision? 

Haven’t received a decision, but in case anyone is looking for general updates - I submitted around May 12th and received an email this afternoon that I was referred on for further consideration. Seems to fit with the timeline others have reported of approximately two weeks to receive referral. Email states PA candidates will receive a decision within 60 days. 

Edited by baussie
MAY, not March

Just got an email that I have been placed in alternate status. Not shocked since I’m just starting  PA school in August and my program is 3 years/33 months. Plus, I’m not a veteran and don’t have any prior relationship with the VA. I’ll take this over a flat out rejection. Fingers crossed more funding becomes available. 

Submitted App: 4/30

Referred 5/14

Alternate Status 5/29

Edited by Tua43244
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tua43244 said:

Just got an email that I have been placed in alternate status. Not shocked since I’m just starting  PA school in August and my program is 3 years/33 months. Plus, I’m not a veteran and don’t have any prior relationship with the VA. I’ll take this over a flat out rejection. Fingers crossed more funding becomes available. 

Referred 5/14

Alternate Status 5/29

Yup, alternate status today as well, submitted same day as you too. My program is also 3 years (MPH/PA joint degree). I have worked for the VA but not a veteran myself. 

If we do not get it this year, I think it’s a good sign of potentially better chances next year, assuming we keep our GPA up 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Congrats that you both @Tua43244 and @Quiqui received word that you're in alternate status!

I'm in the BSN applicant pool and I haven't heard anything since my referral. I submitted my app on 04/23 and I was referred on 05/04. The odd thing is that both the PA and BSN scholarships applications are now open until 06/05? Not sure what that means for the applicant pools...

Good vibes and fingers crossed for everyone! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

@RBroder3 I was told today that Scott Dixon will be contacting BSN applicants early next week with updates! For NP applicants, it sounds like they haven't started reviewing those yet.

Is anyone else here applying psych NP?

Also, as far as the deadline extension, I believe the date change happened in April anticipating that some applicants might have difficulty getting LORs, transcripts, etc. due to the COVID-19 situation. The NHSC scholarship program extended their deadline for that reason as well. But as far as competition this year, I wonder the same thing and really have no idea. Does anyone happen to know how many awards they plan to give out this year?

I do know they are still making awards and considering for the wait-list as well.

Good luck to everyone

Edited by quest16
Added info

On 5/29/2020 at 4:08 PM, Tua43244 said:

Referred 5/14

Alternate Status 5/29

Well I guess I was not an alternate for too long.

Rejection e-mail this afternoon 6/5

A bummer for sure, but not completely unexpected given my circumstances. 

Good luck to the rest of you! 

I just received a rejection. I am obviously disappointed but also surprised I wasn't even selected for alternate status because I had a significant history of working with veteran populations, relevant work experience, etc. I am not a veteran myself. I applied as an incoming student for two years of funding at/around $100K total cost. 

On 6/4/2020 at 3:27 PM, quest16 said:

@RBroder3 I was told today that Scott Dixon will be contacting BSN applicants early next week with updates! For NP applicants, it sounds like they haven't started reviewing those yet.

Is anyone else here applying psych NP?

Also, as far as the deadline extension, I believe the date change happened in April anticipating that some applicants might have difficulty getting LORs, transcripts, etc. due to the COVID-19 situation. The NHSC scholarship program extended their deadline for that reason as well. But as far as competition this year, I wonder the same thing and really have no idea. Does anyone happen to know how many awards they plan to give out this year?

I do know they are still making awards and considering for the wait-list as well.

Good luck to everyone

@quest16 Hey! I’m a BSN student. Can I ask where you heard we’d be hearing back this week? I’m just curious since I haven’t heard any news since I was referred to the committee on 05/04 🙂

@epid93 , I emailed Scott Dixon last week to see if the timeline for BSN and NP applicants was the same (60 days from referral), and he responded saying that he would have a BSN update early this week (and all notifications are communicated via email from him). Although I'm not sure if that means decision & notification for all BSN applicants or if they are doing a group every so often. Unfortunately for NP applicants, it sounds like the wait will be awhile since they are still forming the selection committee that will be reviewing those. Also, someone I spoke with on the phone several weeks ago mentioned that sometimes the review committees will postpone application review a little while if an application cycle is about to end to wait for the last applicants. So perhaps that's what happened in this case with BSN applicants,  but I imagine it won't be too much longer. Best of luck!

30 minutes ago, quest16 said:

@epid93 , I emailed Scott Dixon last week to see if the timeline for BSN and NP applicants was the same (60 days from referral), and he responded saying that he would have a BSN update early this week (and all notifications are communicated via email from him). Although I'm not sure if that means decision & notification for all BSN applicants or if they are doing a group every so often. Unfortunately for NP applicants, it sounds like the wait will be awhile since they are still forming the selection committee that will be reviewing those. Also, someone I spoke with on the phone several weeks ago mentioned that sometimes the review committees will postpone application review a little while if an application cycle is about to end to wait for the last applicants. So perhaps that's what happened in this case with BSN applicants,  but I imagine it won't be too much longer. Best of luck!

@quest16 Thanks so much for the great info! Best of luck to you as well 🙂