VA HPSP 2020

I just received an email that I didn’t receive the scholarship for pharmacy. I am a disabled vet and a former VA employee, but I have 3 years left and attend a private school so maybe it’s the cost. I will definitely apply next year. Good luck to everyone still waiting and congrats to everyone that received the scholarship. 

4 hours ago, NutraRoots said:

I just received an email that I didn’t receive the scholarship for pharmacy. I am a disabled vet and a former VA employee, but I have 3 years left and attend a private school so maybe it’s the cost. I will definitely apply next year. Good luck to everyone still waiting and congrats to everyone that received the scholarship. 

Wishing you the best of luck next year! So far haven't heard of anyone in pharmacy get an acceptance yet...

May I know the timeline in which you submitted your application?

I applied for pharmacy and submitted on 4/30, was referred 5/17, and denied 6/17!

I still have 3 years of school left. I'm assuming that they are favoring P3 and P4 students that won't cost as much $. 

Do you think we will have a better chance reapplying next year? I'm trying not to be discouraged but I was really looking forward to this opportunity!

4 hours ago, NutraRoots said:

I believe if we applied next year It would be better. I really think it’s a funding thing. Did your email tell you to apply again next year? 

This is what Scott sent:

"This email is to inform you that your application has been scored by the selection committee. However, you were not among the most highly qualified candidates and will not be selected this year. We ask that you please consider applying again one year after this notification. Thank you for considering the VA Health Professional Scholarship Program (HPSP) for your educational needs." 

• 2 weeks later...

Received an email today that I’m an alternate but was unsure from the wording whether it was saying we would hear back if selected before or after October 1st - did anyone else get that date in the email?

Also, does anyone happen to know if the alternate list is ranked? Will they they re-review alternate applications if/when additional funding becomes available? Or is it based on the score we’ve already been assigned? Just kind of wishing I understood the process a little better to have some idea of what to expect from here.. but I guess realistically, on our end, it’s just more waiting Lol.

9 hours ago, quest16 said:

Received an email today that I’m an alternate but was unsure from the wording whether it was saying we would hear back if selected before or after October 1st - did anyone else get that date in the email?

Also, does anyone happen to know if the alternate list is ranked? Will they they re-review alternate applications if/when additional funding becomes available? Or is it based on the score we’ve already been assigned? Just kind of wishing I understood the process a little better to have some idea of what to expect from here.. but I guess realistically, on our end, it’s just more waiting Lol.

I asked Scott Dixon if alternates were ranked a while back and this was his response “there is not ranking of Alternates. We make additional selections at the end of the cycle from the Alternate lists using up as much funding as we can. In some cases, alternates are pushed forward to the next year’s funding and asked if they want to take a scholarship that actually starts in Jan.” 

Sounds like they will rescore us maybe?? Idk 😐 

• Like 1

I was placed on the alternate list a week ago also with the same wording, but I happened to check the website today and my status says "Cancelled."  Not sure that is a great thing but I have not received any email saying I was removed from the alternate list.  Has anyone else seen this and knows what it means beyond the obvious?

4 minutes ago, jtexasb said:

I was placed on the alternate list a week ago also with the same wording, but I happened to check the website today and my status says "Cancelled."  Not sure that is a great thing but I have not received any email saying I was removed from the alternate list.  Has anyone else seen this and knows what it means beyond the obvious?

Just checked and mine says the same thing. Hoping they’re just taking the announcement off the website. 

7 minutes ago, jtexasb said:

I had reached out to Scott about this and he said that no updates of importance happen on the website side - that all updates come through him. For what it's worth.

• Like 1