VA HPSP 2020

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone! I'm planning on applying for this scholarship the upcoming cycle, and I was wondering if anyone knew if this requirement: 

• Have not previously applied for or received waivers of financial obligation for any federally sponsored scholarship program.

Means that I can't apply for other similar scholarships? I was planning on applying for the NHSC scholarship as well, but this seems to say I can't? Has anyone ever applied for both? Thanks so much in advance! 

Just now, faithr3 said:

Hey everyone! I'm planning on applying for this scholarship the upcoming cycle, and I was wondering if anyone knew if this requirement: 

• Have not previously applied for or received waivers of financial obligation for any federally sponsored scholarship program.

Means that I can't apply for other similar scholarships? I was planning on applying for the NHSC scholarship as well, but this seems to say I can't? Has anyone ever applied for both? Thanks so much in advance! 

I think it means you have not accepted any other federal scholarship programs. I believe you can apply for as many as you would like but may only accept one opportunity.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Quiqui said:

I think it means you have not accepted any other federal scholarship programs. I believe you can apply for as many as you would like but may only accept one opportunity.

Thanks! That's what I figured but it was worded kind of strangely. Appreciate the quick reply!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone!

Just wanted to update that I was awarded a scholarship today. I started working on it back on 10/26/20 and submitted fully on 11/30.

I wanted to check something after I got notified and happened upon this update at https://va-ams-info.intelliworxit.com/hpsp/ that I figured I would share: 

Apparently they're specifically only selecting veterans for PA for this FY. I didn't read anything at all about that back when I first looked into it so it might have been newly passed? FYI, I'm an active member of the Army Reserve.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to reach out!
image.png.a657d26d68411077cbf47f78d06ee20a.png

Edited by CharlesBSun

10 hours ago, CharlesBSun said:

Hi everyone!

Just wanted to update that I was awarded a scholarship today. I started working on it back on 10/26/20 and submitted fully on 11/30.

I think this was asked a few pages back, and I never saw a response - but I’m confused as to how you applied for HSPS or through what site/agency because the listing on USAJobs was only open from March - June and once the application cycle closed, the listing was completely removed from the site. Not saying it’s not possible or untrue but they typically have a very specific application period as well as a very specific fiscal window and I’ve never seen anyone apply during those dates or be awarded the scholarship after alternate selections typically in Aug/Sept. and into the new fed fiscal year. More info is greatly appreciated. 

EDIT: I just follow the link you posted and it appears they’ve taken the application process in house instead of on the USAJobs website. Interesting that they have only restricted the Physician Assistant app to veterans but not others.

Edited by baussie

On 1/15/2021 at 7:20 AM, baussie said:

I think this was asked a few pages back, and I never saw a response - but I’m confused as to how you applied for HSPS or through what site/agency because the listing on USAJobs was only open from March - June and once the application cycle closed, the listing was completely removed from the site. Not saying it’s not possible or untrue but they typically have a very specific application period as well as a very specific fiscal window and I’ve never seen anyone apply during those dates or be awarded the scholarship after alternate selections typically in Aug/Sept. and into the new fed fiscal year. More info is greatly appreciated. 

EDIT: I just follow the link you posted and it appears they’ve taken the application process in house instead of on the USAJobs website. Interesting that they have only restricted the Physician Assistant app to veterans but not others.

That's my understanding of it. I had to do a fairly deep amount of digging myself to find that site after I came to the same conclusion about the closure of the listing on USAJobs. And I believe the window is now open throughout the FY. As for the veteran's requirement, I agree that it's peculiar its only for PA and I haven't been able to find the legislation specified or the reason for the change. Anyway, I hope that helps! 

• 1 month later...
On 2/2/2021 at 8:24 AM, nicholet9 said:

Now it is? Was the confirmed by them directly? I don't see a open listing for this year so I am sure you are right. 

Yes, VA confirmed PA students with non-Veteran status are no longer eligible for HPSP. I'm a VA employee and messaged them to find out why. Here's what they said:

"VA HPSP offers scholarships to individuals pursuing their education is a field identified as a “Critical Occupation”.  Annually, the VA’s Office of Inspector General (VAIOG) produces and annual report identifying the VA’s critical shortages by occupation.  In the past PAs have been one of the TOP 10 critical occupations in the VA... PAs and PTs are no longer considered a “Critical Occupation” and therefore HPSP is no longer offering scholarships in those areas.  PT fell off the list in 2019, and now PA’s have fallen off the list (in FY 2020).  If PAs or PTs return as critical occupations we will offer scholarships to them.

As far as PA’s now requiring veteran status?  That was part of a recent bill that was signed into law stating that we had to offer (X number) scholarships to PAs who had veteran status.  Without that legislative change no PAs would receive a scholarship."

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi! I have been recently selected into the program for nursing this year and am inquiring about assignment locations. I know you mentioned you can choose up to 6 areas, but what does this exactly entail?

Do you apply for your job or would they do that for you? 

Can you tell them a speciality (pediatrics, psych, etc.,) that you are in interested in and they look for jobs in that area? 

lastly, do you have any suggestions of Facebook groups, forums, or anything if that nature? I am hoping to inquire about more info.

THANK YOU!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

I received an email today that I was awarded the scholarship- Nursing. I didn't accept it yet because I am trying to find more details about the locations they might send me ? I am in the Army Reserves but also a military wife and I wouldn't want to be away from my husband.. Anyone who is in the same situation maybe ?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I graduate this January and have the scholarship. VA clinical rotation is not required. They email you job openings that are internal every two weeks during your last six months and you can apply to any specialty or location you want. VA employees get first dibs, then I guess we’re second in line. 

From my understanding, if nobody hires you within a certain timeframe after graduating then they help place you somewhere. 

I would also love to hear from those that have graduated already.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

I received a job offer from a VA within 2 hours of where I currently live, and in a specialty I'm interested in. I was offered the position two months after graduation and will be starting around 6 months post graduation. I was also offered a few VA fellowships which I turned down due to not being able to relocate across the country. If anybody has questions feel free to DM me.

• 1 year later...
On 1/15/2021 at 12:28 AM, CharlesBSun said:

Hi everyone!

I wanted to check something after I got notified and happened upon this update at https://va-ams-info.intelliworxit.com/hpsp/ that I figured I would share: 

Apparently they're specifically only selecting veterans for PA for this FY. I didn't read anything at all about that back when I first looked into it so it might have been newly passed? FYI, I'm an active member of the Army Reserve.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to reach out!
image.png.a657d26d68411077cbf47f78d06ee20a.png

Hey! Did you receive veteran status solely because you are a Reservist?