Utah: Rocky Mountain University 2019-2020

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

One of the PAs I work with graduated last year from RMU and is grumpy about the cost difference between it and the state schools. Are any of you guys state of Utah residents who are having trouble justifying the $40k difference? Or is your only concern getting into a school and ignoring cost completely? There isn't one PA or MD I have talked to who didn't say they wish they had borrowed less during graduate school.

After looking at their website and everything they offer, I think Rocky Mountain University in Utah looks like a great school that would be one of my top choices. However, I  cannot find them on the list of Best Grad School Rankings from U.S. News along with almost every other PA school in the United States. I find this odd because of how elite they seem. Does anyone have any answers or opinions on this?

• 3 weeks later...

One of the PAs I work with graduated last year from RMU and is grumpy about the cost difference between it and the state schools. Are any of you guys state of Utah residents who are having trouble justifying the $40k difference? Or is your only concern getting into a school and ignoring cost completely? There isn't one PA or MD I have talked to who didn't say they wish they had borrowed less during graduate school.

Miguel, I feel similar to you. Rocky Mountain is my last choice simply because of the cost. If they are the only school I am able to get into though, then I would still go. I would also be grumpy about the cost in the end, but feel like I need to get this career move going and not wait another year. Crossing my fingers though to get in at UVU or U of U. I have a former coworker who went to RMU and he really liked it. He didn't say anything about regretting the cost, but I didn't specifically ask him about it.

Edited by sjrack
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/12/2019 at 8:25 PM, swonder said:

After looking at their website and everything they offer, I think Rocky Mountain University in Utah looks like a great school that would be one of my top choices. However, I  cannot find them on the list of Best Grad School Rankings from U.S. News along with almost every other PA school in the United States. I find this odd because of how elite they seem. Does anyone have any answers or opinions on this?

I am a current student in the program, and I have a feeling it isn't listed because it just recently transitioned from accredited-provisional to accredited-continuing (march of 2019). I remember when I was applying looking for stats like this, and I think it just might take more time for them to pop up. I would not be surprised if they show up ranked very highly when they do appear on the list though. It has been an amazing program so far! 🙂

• Like 1

On 7/11/2019 at 1:03 PM, Miguel said:

I know this was posted a while ago, but the big cost difference is because RMUHP is a private school, not public, so it gets no government funding to subsidize tuition. This is pretty common across the board when it comes to state universities vs private ones if you look at other PA schools. The nice thing about most private schools is they don't have to prioritize in-state residents the way that state universities are expected to, so it can give people more options when applying. The way I see it, it's an investment in our future so I agree with the fact that if it was the only school I got into, I would gladly go and not complain one bit. I live in Utah and am applying to all 3 schools here and would be super happy to attend RMUHP! 🙂

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, kkim916 said:

Has anyone gotten interview invites yet? 

I just got an email stating that my application had been screened and they are starting the scoring process. They said they score all applications and then rank them after October 1st. If you are getting an interview you will be notified in October and interviews are done in October and November!

• Like 1

I finally submitted just now! I had been putting it off because I hadn't taken the GRE yet, but according to their website I could have submitted before taking it. I guess I was worried I was going to do terrible on the GRE and didn't want to waste my application fee. But my fears were unfounded. My unofficial score was over 300. Crossing my fingers that my writing score is acceptable...

On 9/9/2019 at 10:55 AM, xtian said:

do any re-applicants here know if rocky mountain requires us to re-send our official GRE score, or do they retain it from last year's CASPA cycle? thanks in advance!

According to CASPA: "Information such as coursework, official test scores, attached transcripts, etc. can be copied into the new application. Letters of evaluation, essays, payments, and program-specific information cannot be copied into the new application....

To successfully copy official test scores, the name and date of birth on your new application must match the name and date of birth on your original application. Note that it can take several days for the matching process to complete.

If you have a difference in name and date of birth, contact customer service to have your scores manually copied into your application."

Did you select to carry over your GRE scores from last cycle when you started your application this cycle? You should be able to check your Status page and if you see Rocky Mountain's GRE line under Standardized Tests, then it carried over. If it did not, maybe contact CASPA? Otherwise you might have to resend it.

Edited by KThames
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...