Utah: Rocky Mountain University 2019-2020

14 hours ago, GoldCE said:

It looks like I'm lucky enough that I'm going to need to decide between a few programs, so I wanted to ask: 

What attracts you guys to RMUoHP? What do you like about the program? What have you heard about the program? Why do you want to attend PA school here?

I would honestly look at your options by their academic standards rather than focusing on, as terrible as it sounds, how far away each program is from family. Frankly, pa programs are typically 2.5 years long and in the long run, that time will fly by quickly. You will be so busy with school for the first year, then clinicals the following year that this time will be such a short blip of your life.

Also, I'm not sure where UOC clinical rotations are located, but I'm pretty sure ISU sends their students all around Idaho for their rotations (although you can corrent me if I am wrong). So some rotations might be even farther away from family. I personally know of a PA who went to ISU who started their program with two young girls and a husband at home in Meridian and is doing great as a PA now. When the time came for clinicals, she packed up a suitcase and went to each rotation while leaving her family at home. I asked her if that was difficult for her and she said, "yes and no." "You are so busy with school so it's really difficult to have time with family, but the time really flies by." I'm not sure if that helps you at all, but I hope it does? The next 2.5 years are going to be a critical time in your life to gain as much education and medical experiences possible before you start working as a PA. 

Additionally, a doctor I work with recommended to me a while back that if I got to pick where I can go to PA school, I should go to a program that is located in a diverse environment. Meaning: go to a program that allows you to see and experience a lot of different aspects of medicine, especially during your clinical rotations. This will be vital to your education as a PA and will be helpful when you start practicing as one. 

If UofC is service-minded and offers diverse clinical rotations, then I would go there. But then again ISU is a really good program and may offer diverse clinical rotations and so does Rocky..so it truly is a tough choice. 

Congrats on getting accepted to two schools. 

• Like 1

acovillo21, thank you, this kind of stuff is helpful. You wouldn't by chance be able to put me in touch with the alum you know, would you? 

Does anyone else have ideas for how to get in touch with some alumni from different programs? I was actually thinking today that that might be really helpful in making a decision. 

On 11/18/2019 at 8:07 PM, GoldCE said:

I got accepted to the University of Southern California and Idaho State, and I'm number 11 on RMUoHP's wait list. My husband's really encouraging me to go to USC, but it's farther away, longer, more expensive--though I think it would be awesome academically; I also feel like a longer program would prepare me better, too. On the other hand, I liked the town when I interviewed at Idaho State. It's a fast program--24 months. I'd be able to start making money sooner. It would be $50,000 cheaper tuition-wise, and it's only a 2.5 hour drive.

It would be awesome if I got in at Rocky Mountain and could stay here. My husband has two daughters here, and wouldn't be able to move with me. My parents are also here and are definitely part of the support system. It would be cheaper, too, as far as living expenses. If I stayed here, though, I'd need to commute two hours daily for RMUoHP...it's also pretty hard to study at home. I also didn't love the school when I visited--that's probably rude to say on this board. It's a for-profit school; when I interviewed, the president of the university gave a speech about how their program is the "gold standard to which you should compare all other programs"; they say one of their values is service but when I asked if the students do a community clinic (like how the U does Maliheh), they said, "well it's not really service if you're required to do it, but you can do it on your own"--that kind of stuff. 

I'm grateful to have the choice, and super excited I've gotten in places. It's a hard decision, though--everywhere has pros and cons. I decided my first step is I'm going to try to gather some more info about the different programs in trying to make the decision. That's why I'm hoping to hear from others. Thanks to you two who have already responded. I would definitely have the same reason for staying here. 

My husband graduated from ISU 5 years ago. The clinicals are all over ID, WY, UT, WA and OR. They have a phenomenal program I would recommend ISU hands down over USC. If you talk to the school they can do quite a few of your rotations in Utah. 

On 11/19/2019 at 10:23 PM, GoldCE said:

acovillo21, thank you, this kind of stuff is helpful. You wouldn't by chance be able to put me in touch with the alum you know, would you? 

Does anyone else have ideas for how to get in touch with some alumni from different programs? I was actually thinking today that that might be really helpful in making a decision. 

Her name is Amy Ellsworth PAC. She works at the Internal Medicine office for Kootenai Health in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho. I don't really feel comfortable giving out her personal email on here (sorry!), but I'm sure she has an email on the Kootenai Health website. She is super nice and I am sure she would take the time to answer your questions. You can tell her that Abby Covillo recommended that you talk to her about ISU's PA program. 🙂

I hope that helps some! 

Edited by acovillo21
  • Like 2

Hey folks, 

I am also lucky enough to also have some options (ISU, UNE in Portland, ME; Jefferson/Radford in Virginia). I have accepted at RMUoHP because it seems like it is the closest to where I want to end up, which is in the West near Colorado where I have lived for the past 10 years and California where my parents and family live. Although some of the other programs seemed to have better technology and 20+ years of experience running a PA program I am worried that if I go to a school on the East coast, that my clinical rotations won't set me up for a job out west. I can see myself living in Salt Lake after graduating, which is the primary reason why I am choosing this school over others. I have heard from new grads that finding a job is often difficult outside of where you did clinical rotations. I am wondering what current students' perspectives are on this topic? Where have you done rotations? Are the options mostly in state? 

On another not,  is there another forum for housing? Or Facebook group? My fiance and I have started looking for something starting in April with little success. Since we are planning to stay out there for at least another 2 years after school we're considering buying a place. Has anyone else done this? 

12 hours ago, sofiacortopassi said:

Hey folks, 

I am also lucky enough to also have some options (ISU, UNE in Portland, ME; Jefferson/Radford in Virginia). I have accepted at RMUoHP because it seems like it is the closest to where I want to end up, which is in the West near Colorado where I have lived for the past 10 years and California where my parents and family live. Although some of the other programs seemed to have better technology and 20+ years of experience running a PA program I am worried that if I go to a school on the East coast, that my clinical rotations won't set me up for a job out west. I can see myself living in Salt Lake after graduating, which is the primary reason why I am choosing this school over others. I have heard from new grads that finding a job is often difficult outside of where you did clinical rotations. I am wondering what current students' perspectives are on this topic? Where have you done rotations? Are the options mostly in state? 

On another not,  is there another forum for housing? Or Facebook group? My fiance and I have started looking for something starting in April with little success. Since we are planning to stay out there for at least another 2 years after school we're considering buying a place. Has anyone else done this? 

Hi sofiacortopassi,

I wouldn't shy away from the young age of the program. Sometimes that can be a good thing because they are not hamstrung by the ways of the past.  Since all the students are passing the PANCE I would not consider their education program to be less than any other program.  Additionally I have heard that going to school in the network of where you want to work helps when trying to find a job in that network later on.  Salt Lake and the surrounding areas are pretty awesome so if you end goal is near CO this would be a great starting place. I grew up in CO and I love it here personally.  I do own a house here and there are some very affordable area to buy, especially if you don't mind a little commute. That said I don't think you will have any problem finding a place to rent, there is a huge rental market in Utah and April is right about when the winter leases are up for renewal so you will find some good deals for sure.  

Ultimately I would choose whatever program and area interests you the most and you felt the best at interviews with... This will probably lead to the most enjoyment and engagement during and after the program!

Good luck on you search!

• 1 month later...

Because I found prior year's threads helpful, just wanted to say I'll be going to RMU. I was originally 18th on the waitlist. There's plenty of time for those higher  up on the waitlist to get in.. the second deposit is due March 6, 2020, so I'd expect a few others may get their call shortly after that. Don't give up hope, folks! 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...