Utah: Rocky Mountain University 2019-2020

6 minutes ago, sman33 said:

Waitlisted as well. Does anyone know how many students from the years past are put on the waitlist? and how many are usually taken off? 

Just got an email from Cecile Pryor stating that approximately 20-25 students are taken off the waitlist each year. Don't give up hope!

3 minutes ago, Twinners said:

Well done, --- in my email conversation with Cecile Pryor, she said of course there are no guarantees but, based on past experience I'd get offered a seat being close to the top of the wait list, which means you'd get an offer too. 🙂  Do you have other offers?

That’s exciting! I hope you get a seat. I actually received an early acceptance offer from another program the day before I flew out to Utah for the interview. How about you? 

Very nice!  I have not received any other offers yet. I'm still waiting to hear from several other schools but, living in Utah now I'd like to stay in state. May I ask where you're living and which school accepted you already? Which school do you like better at the moment... the previous school or RMU?

15 hours ago, Twinners said:

Did anyone in this forum interview on Friday 11/1?

I did and was wait listed as well. Did y'all get a ranking on the wait list? I also read that 20-25 people on the wait list have gotten into this program in previous cycles.

I did! I was in group C as well. 

Hello Everyone,

I was waitlisted and asked the program a few questions.  Hopefully this will be helpful to someone else.  

1. If someone is accepted into the program, what timeline do they have to reserve their seat before it's forfeited? They have 7 days.
  2. If someone is waitlisted, How long do they have to fill-out the acknowledgment form before their spot is taken? They do not have to fill out the acknowledgment form (although it is nice if they do!). We keep everyone on the waitlist unless they specifically tell us to take them off. 
  3. Are there two types of waitlists (priority and regular)? No, just one waitlist.
  4. How many waitlist seats are there? We do not disclose the length of the waitlist. In the past we have taken about 20-25 from the waitlist, however, some on the waitlist do decline. This means that we could possibly get down to number 40 or more before we have a full class. This may or may not happen this year. Every year is different, so it is hard to determine what exactly will happen.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, GoldCE said:

It looks like I'm lucky enough that I'm going to need to decide between a few programs, so I wanted to ask: 

What attracts you guys to RMUoHP? What do you like about the program? What have you heard about the program? Why do you want to attend PA school here?

Honestly, for me, I think the main attraction to Utah is having family here. Especially with a wife who is an NP here and having a one-year-old. Overall, the school seemed straight forward and organized. Its a difficult choice because there are a lot of great programs out there...and probably some programs significantly cheaper. That is my one sticking point on Rocky Mountain. 

1 hour ago, Twinners said:

I agree. Having a network of family and friends is pretty important. If one of the programs you’re accepted to is closer to home and family consider seriously going there. May I ask what program options you have? Alexiars?

I got accepted to the University of Southern California and Idaho State, and I'm number 11 on RMUoHP's wait list. My husband's really encouraging me to go to USC, but it's farther away, longer, more expensive--though I think it would be awesome academically; I also feel like a longer program would prepare me better, too. On the other hand, I liked the town when I interviewed at Idaho State. It's a fast program--24 months. I'd be able to start making money sooner. It would be $50,000 cheaper tuition-wise, and it's only a 2.5 hour drive.

It would be awesome if I got in at Rocky Mountain and could stay here. My husband has two daughters here, and wouldn't be able to move with me. My parents are also here and are definitely part of the support system. It would be cheaper, too, as far as living expenses. If I stayed here, though, I'd need to commute two hours daily for RMUoHP...it's also pretty hard to study at home. I also didn't love the school when I visited--that's probably rude to say on this board. It's a for-profit school; when I interviewed, the president of the university gave a speech about how their program is the "gold standard to which you should compare all other programs"; they say one of their values is service but when I asked if the students do a community clinic (like how the U does Maliheh), they said, "well it's not really service if you're required to do it, but you can do it on your own"--that kind of stuff. 

I'm grateful to have the choice, and super excited I've gotten in places. It's a hard decision, though--everywhere has pros and cons. I decided my first step is I'm going to try to gather some more info about the different programs in trying to make the decision. That's why I'm hoping to hear from others. Thanks to you two who have already responded. I would definitely have the same reason for staying here.