2019-2020 cycle

They basically explained why they were on probation, emphasized that it had nothing to do with the curriculum or rotation placements, and that it was more of the technicalities. I ARC-PA had new and updated standards that caused a lot of schools to go into probation (in the webinar they said 1 in 5/6 schools are now on probation? I applied to Augsburg and they're going through the same thing as well). Yes, they're basically saying that they have already started addressing the issues. I also noted that they'll start sending invites in late December (I honestly don't know if that was in the webinar or I found that somewhere, i just saw that on my excel sheet haha). That's all I can really remember!

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, Joemonkey said:

Anybody reluctant about attending this school because of probationary status? Why pay thousands of dollars to get degree from potential non-accredited school? Is there loan reimbursement by school if they lose accreditation?

They did a web conference to address their probationary status a couple months ago - they said that the specifics that put them on probation were citations for clinical year objectives and ARC-PA not being happy with the transparency of the admission process and with some of the data provided in their program goals (which SM said is easy to address). SM also said that they started working on revisions in January and aren't worried about re-accreditation.

On the call they stated that the issues that put them on probation were all administrative and back of house and would not effect the student experience while they work on improving it. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/6/2019 at 8:54 PM, Joemonkey said:

Anybody reluctant about attending this school because of probationary status? Why pay thousands of dollars to get degree from potential non-accredited school? Is there loan reimbursement by school if they lose accreditation?

We are fully accredited. I think that is the big misunderstanding about probationary period and even if you apply this round and were admitted to SMU you would be in an accredited program and can take the PANCE. Many many good schools have been on probation and SMU has been completely open about the reasons behind their probationary period. I have no doubt in my mind this is a temporary situation and they will be off probation at the next inspection. I went to an interview last cycle with a school on probation and they wouldn't tell us why they went on probation and were completely illusive to the reasons they were on probation. That was not comforting and I removed myself from their application cycle. Lucky I did because I got into SMU and really am enjoying my time at this school! Good luck everyone and hopefully see some of you during interview days.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Confettifun said:

Dis anyone get an interview invite? The website said that there would be 3 interview days: one in December, one in January, and one in February. But it seems like no one has heard anything from this school? Not even a “continued consideration” email.

Earlier in the forum they said we wouldn’t be hearing back until late December at the earliest 

Edited by rjnguyen

• 3 weeks later...

submitted my CASPA application FIVE months ago and just got the "we've received your application!" email! I was not supper concerned by the email saying that invitation will be sent out in November . If true, to me it just meant that I am not part of the initial group of people they would like to see. Hopefully I will get my turn "to interview as space permits" lol.

Edited by PA2B0912