Do you have a Union? Are you in it?

Union?? Are you in one as a PA  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Unions?? Are in in one? does you work place have one?

• There is a union at my work place, and I am a member
    • There is a union at my work place, and I am NOT a member
    • There is not a union at my work place, but I would join one if there was
    • There is not a union at my work place, but i would NOT join if there was

We pretty much had our hand forced in my province because a local health care union decided that they unilaterally were going to represent us without even being polite enough to ask us (a weird quirk in labour law here), largely as a way of generating more income for the organization (1.2% of gross income from people with high 5-6 digit incomes will bring in cash).  Given the numbers of us vs the others being represented, didn't look to us a fair deal...that and the fact most of us coming from a largely veteran population at the time, felt it was rather undemocratic.  The "Welcome Aboard" meeting caused a largely impolite response to the union leadership that I don't think they were expecting.  In the end, we took them to labour court on donations from future members, won, and now have a province wide bargaining unit.

SK

Edited by sk732
spelling oopie

There is NOT a union where I currently work, but voted that I would if available.  BUT, this is highly variable.  When I used to be a teacher I did NOT join the union because of how the union spent the dues on political activism that had nothing to do with teaching (i.e. abortion rights and similar - regardless of someone's view on abortion, it has nothing to do with education/teaching therefore a teacher's union has no business being involved).

But, when I worked in a hospital before PA school I DID join the union because it was useful and it actually focused on our needs.

So, assuming the union was more like the one I joined I would, otherwise HARD NO!

Edited by mgriffiths

I have seen how large organizations treat people here in Texas (an at-will state) and I would sooooo love to see these places unionize. My entire agreement with my current organization went in the shredder less than 2 months after I started work because we took on a "strategic partner" . That means a company who will slash and burn through the organization cutting everything regardless of its impact on the staff and patients. I have watched this organization, which quite frankly is better than many, change anything and everything it wants with no discussion or notice with the people affected. Its maddening.

• Upvote 2

59 minutes ago, sas5814 said:

I have seen how large organizations treat people here in Texas (an at-will state) and I would sooooo love to see these places unionize. My entire agreement with my current organization went in the shredder less than 2 months after I started work because we took on a "strategic partner" . That means a company who will slash and burn through the organization cutting everything regardless of its impact on the staff and patients. I have watched this organization, which quite frankly is better than many, change anything and everything it wants with no discussion or notice with the people affected. Its maddening.

^^^

I could not of said it better myself.  The place I work for is "better then most", but is still riddled with corporate overlord heavy handedness.  And their benefits suck.  Something a union could address.  I was told by our medical director that all providers here are instantly replaceable.  He said he laughs when providers threaten to quit.  He went on to point out that there are so many PA's, NP's and Doc's looking for work in DFW that he could have a warm butt in any of our chairs in less then a week.

Depressing.

Where I work there is a robust nurses union (that NPs are part of), but PAs have none.

About the only thing they get that we dont is higher base pay and regular raises. And it's near-impossible to fire them.

I was part of a union when I worked for Kaiser. Very competitive pay with biannual raises, overtime, killer benefits, but some annoying restrictive seniority policies with vacations, etc. 

Unions are give and take. Ultimately they protect you from being sh!t on by your employer but it comes with restrictions.  

Edited by BruceBanner

52 minutes ago, BruceBanner said:

Where I work there is a robust nurses union (that NPs are part of), but PAs have none.

About the only thing they get that we dont is higher base pay and regular raises. And it's near-impossible to fire them.

Umm....those are pretty good reasons to be in a union.  Higher base pay, regular raises and job security?  Sign me up.

Edited by Cideous
  • Upvote 1

I have not been a part of a union.  My opinion is from the outside looking in and others experiences.  I voted that I don't have a union and i would NOT join one.  Often times I feel that unions should not be part of healthcare.  My big example was the VA where my wife worked.  They protected the most  dangerous and incompetent people.  The "can't be fired" mentality can be dangerous in healthcare. 

I also agree with  mgriffithsI find what the unions believe in don't always align with mine.  I specifically don't like the political arena being the focus, along with certain "social" issues.  You are there to represent workers not what the union brass thinks is important to them in social matters.  Again this is my opinion looking from the outside in from my Mom being a teacher, my wife working for the VA with unions, and my father in law working with unions in the trades.  

22 hours ago, Cideous said:

^^^

I could not of said it better myself.  The place I work for is "better then most", but is still riddled with corporate overlord heavy handedness.  And their benefits suck.  Something a union could address.  I was told by our medical director that all providers here are instantly replaceable.  He said he laughs when providers threaten to quit.  He went on to point out that there are so many PA's, NP's and Doc's looking for work in DFW that he could have a warm butt in any of our chairs in less then a week.

Depressing.

From what I gather Austin is not any better than DFW...worse if anything. I was offered a prn job at a  local ER but the pay was about the same as the UC I work at. Benefits like PTO and 401k match (the only 2 I really care about as retired military) tend to suck as well. The cost of living compared to Washington state is much better although benefits there and pay was much better.

1 hour ago, ArmyPA said:

From what I gather Austin is not any better than DFW...worse if anything. I was offered a prn job at a  local ER but the pay was about the same as the UC I work at. Benefits like PTO and 401k match (the only 2 I really care about as retired military) tend to suck as well. The cost of living compared to Washington state is much better although benefits there and pay was much better.

I never really saw the draw of Austin.  My wife and I looked to move there pretty hard, but finally just walked away saying this isn't worth the money.  I get the vibe and all that, but the weather still sucks (gulf humidity) etc.  And house prices were super high...like California high.  I guess it is a good place to live how you want without the Ruby red Texas bible belt judgement every day like most parts of Texas.  I suppose that's worth something.

6 hours ago, Cideous said:

I never really saw the draw of Austin.  My wife and I looked to move there pretty hard, but finally just walked away saying this isn't worth the money.  I get the vibe and all that, but the weather still sucks (gulf humidity) etc.  And house prices were super high...like California high.  I guess it is a good place to live how you want without the Ruby red Texas bible belt judgement every day like most parts of Texas.  I suppose that's worth something.

Yeah thats why we are in the burbs north or Austin. Family not interested in moving right now unfortunately so I cant be too picky about jobs.