• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, DavidErlenbush said:

How strict is SCU about having one LOR that is "academic"? I spent the majority of my time working or studying during my undergrad so I didn't build many close relationships with my professors. 

I truly don't understand why this is even a thing; if my grades are good why do I need an LOR from a professor? I never felt the need to go to office hours or to ask questions in class. I did my thing and preformed well. I have great references form people that know me much better than a professor.

Best of luck you all!

I feel the same way. I want to apply to this program very much but don't want to waste my money if they will automatically reject me because I don't have an "academic" LOR. Hopefully someone else has some helpful insight! 

I was in a similar boat because I spent the past 4 years working full-time. I did a lot of research and watched their webinar where they mentioned LORs but did not specify the academic LOR requirement. I tried to call the program a couple of times to verify but I wasn't able to get through. I applied anyway with 4 LORs total (2 from a PA, 2 from MD). Sorry this wasn't a direct answer but hopefully it'll help some! 

• Upvote 1

On ‎6‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 10:48 PM, DavidErlenbush said:

How strict is SCU about having one LOR that is "academic"? I spent the majority of my time working or studying during my undergrad so I didn't build many close relationships with my professors. 

I truly don't understand why this is even a thing; if my grades are good why do I need an LOR from a professor? I never felt the need to go to office hours or to ask questions in class. I did my thing and preformed well. I have great references form people that know me much better than a professor.

Best of luck you all!

Honestly, not sure why these schools require it if you haven't taken a class more than a year. Why would a professor whom I see max 3hrs a day, 3x a week be a good letter 2 semesters later than an MD/PA/Supervisor that knows me for a year.

• 3 weeks later...

The letter serves as an academic performance recommendation (e.g. how you preform as a student) whether than a personal reference (e.g. how you preform on the job). They are looking for the perspective of an instructor as to your character in the academic setting in addition to your performance.

An individual can be a stud in the clinical setting (as we ask for LORs from those who speak to this) but may ride the struggle bus in the academic department. Most science instructors have specific performance criteria that must be achieved if you planned to ask for a reference from them. This often includes classroom participation and interaction in addition to a letter grade. 

PA school is not about getting good grades! It about learning and retaining as much information as possible. Grades just ensure that you have retained enough to information to be dangerous, not deadly. The amount of material presented is often overwhelming and often interactive meaning learning as a group not necessarily shutting the world out to study. 

Mind blowing, I know but a lot of schools are starting to look for a LOR from a professor to help give a more rounded paper perspective.

~ Just my 2 cents

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/26/2019 at 8:48 PM, DavidErlenbush said:

Best of luck you all!

I had the same query! I've tried emailing admissions to find out but I haven't heard back. I will be getting an academic letter from my A&P professor, but they're on sabbatical until end of August. I have 3 professional letters, so I'm trying to decide whether to just submit now or wait until end of August when I can get my letter. Does anyone know if they are rolling? I went to the campus preview day in March and did not get a clear answer from faculty. 

I had the same query! I've tried emailing admissions to find out but I haven't heard back. I will be getting an academic letter from my A&P professor, but they're on sabbatical until end of August. I have 3 professional letters, so I'm trying to decide whether to just submit now or wait until end of August when I can get my letter. Does anyone know if they are rolling? I went to the campus preview day in March and did not get a clear answer from faculty. 

The confirmation email SCU sends when you submit your CASPA app says they start interviews in January. So I think you’re probably good to wait if you need to.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

"Thank you for applying to Southern California University of Health Science.

Your application has been received and will be reviewed by our Admissions Committee.  Applicants being invited for interviews will be contacted from our admissions department.

We anticipate interviews will be held in January and February. All applicants will be notified the status of their application, once the class is seated, in May 2020.

Thank you for your interest in our program!

SCU MSPA Admissions Committee"

• 2 weeks later...