Precepting students... Do you get paid?

I've had several PA students working with me over the year, and I was wondering, do any of you get paid or reimbursed for accepting students to rotate with you? I know we can receive CME, but CME is only reimbursed so much. I've been at this current position for almost one year now, and every month, except my first month working, I've had a PA student with me. They are helpful, and I do enjoy teaching, but it definitely does take time out of my day to work with them.

Just wondering what others are doing in this situation. Thanks!

1 hour ago, BayPAC said:

How many credits can you get for precepting students? I'm interested in doing this. 

hours for hour category 2. I do 24 hr shifts so basically max out my cat 2 in 2 days at the beginning of each year. I have 1-2 students at all times, except over xmas and spring breaks. for free. I max out for the next 2 years tomorrow.

8 minutes ago, EMEDPA said:

hours for hour category 2. I do 24 hr shifts so basically max out my cat 2 in 2 days at the beginning of each year. I have 1-2 students at all times, except over xmas and spring breaks. for free. I max out for the next 2 years tomorrow.

Excellent! Thank you! 

You can also get up to 10 hours Cat I CME on an hour for hour basis. The school has to apply to AAPA and set some things up but it isn't onerous

I used to precept a good bit and would never have accepted money. It would have made me feel scummy. Don't be a paid preceptor if you are one of the people b****ing about how expensive PA education is getting. 

I have also heard of a bunch of places that charge schools to take students and then don't pass any along to the preceptors. Super scummy.

12 hours ago, mgriffiths said:

Yeah, that came across weird.  I meant many of the schools I applied to paid for preceptors, which meant their tuition was significantly higher.  The one I went to did not pay for preceptors, and therefore was MUCH less expensive.

I hate to say it, but I fear it's only a matter of time. Ever since the MBAs took over the humanism is getting crushed out of medicine.

On 1/11/2019 at 5:34 AM, CJAdmission said:

I hate to say it, but I fear it's only a matter of time. Ever since the MBAs took over the humanism is getting crushed out of medicine.

Yup, I know of several programs in the planning stages , which are planning to pay preceptors in the community to insure clinical spots for their students. Community docs frequently decline to teach students, but I imagine many would if told they would receive $1000/student/month. 12k/yr would be hard to turn down as a small practice owner.

I don't think it is bad to get a small amount of pay

Medicine is simply a business now, and the idea that we should give away our time might (I stress might) be outdated...

I don't think payment for rotations is what is driving the cost of schools

If someone is getting $1000 for a month to 1.5 month rotation - that is MAX 12k additional on tuition

As most times it seems tution and fees are in the 100k range for PA degree this is a 12% increase.   Not pennies, but certainly not whey PA school went from a <50k degree to commonly a >100k degree....

It is not easy to have a student.  At this point in my career I am highly efficient and am considering taking students if my place of employment will allow it.  I had to assure them that I would not increase my hours (hourly employee) to teach, and this leaves me with giving an extra 40-60 hours a rotation "to the profession"???  That is something like $2000-4000 depending on your salary.  With two young kids, a busy schedule, running a clinic, taking call every day, and trying to get time for myself I am not against a small payment for taking students.  Not a lot, but enough to help offset the additional work.  (I also believe PA students need to be challenged and this takes effort, they are not just shadow the PA)

It's like joining the armed forces of a country. It's an honor, it's a privilege and it's preparing a new generation of PAs to become excellent at a faster rate because of our guidance.

Yesterday, I received an e-mail from a person who I choose to help and she finished her program with honors and recieved the directo's award. I sahe in her success and that is payment enough.

2 hours ago, surgblumm said:

It's an honor, it's a privilege and it's preparing a new generation of PAs to become excellent at a faster rate because of our guidance.

To add on to this. I read something once that as a medical professional it’s your duty to pass on what you’ve learned to be next generation. Really stuck with me and I hope to one day be able to precept students.

Archived