Do You Document When a Patient Smells Bad (or is unkempt)

So, this crossed my mind today. I was seeing a patient who is always unkempt and smell foul (BO, urine, possible feces) and in their 20s. They are applying for disability and I believe that they deserve it because of their mental health issues (not headache). They are brought in by their mother and rarely leave their bedroom (agoraphobia). In the old days you would make such objective statements at the patient smells of urine and is unkempt. I think it is relative to their over-all mental state and an important part of the exam. However, since the days of patient portals and reading their own records, this would really piss off (speaking of a urine smell) some patients.

It depends on how bad they smell... Lol no I always document appearance especially if it is off their baseline I will add something like "pt's clothes are dirty and pt is unkempt today which is not their usual presentation" or something like that.

If they always smell I will put "pt smells of..." usually urine or Marijuana but I do have a pt that smells like she sleeps in a barn and has brought animals in with her at visits. She's an eccentric old lady who actually is quite wealthy lol. Had a TAVR and will not take Xarelto because she is convinced it is "made by Nazis."

She's fun but not her smell.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, rev ronin said:

Somewhat tangentially, on of my pet peeves is a pre-demographic adjective:

"So and so is a pleasant 31 YOM"  I'm sorry, but how nice they are isn't the very first first thing I want to convey in my note.  It'll still show up if appropriate, just later.

I always thought "pleasant" was code for crusty jerk, thanks for sending him my way.

I put in their hygiene and appearance. It is an objective finding that supports mental health and psychosocial situation.

If I put delightful in a chart, it means the person is really nice and easy to work with. Pleasant means they are cooperating.

Agitated, anxious and uncooperative enter my chart often as I see a group of folks with extensive mental health issues. Or dementia "limited historian, aloof, unable to provide information".

"patient smells very strongly of cigarette smoke (sub - marijuana)" is very very common in my charts.

"patient has inappropriate laughter and appears acutely under the influence of substances" - the contact high was overwhelming.

"patient smells strongly of alcohol at 11 am. Patient denies drinking" is also a known thing. Stale booze just sucks for the examiner

"limited personal hygiene" --- "moderate grooming" --- "disheveled" --- "work worn clothing and work dirty hands"

"pt has odor of urine"

"pt has odor of cat urine" - meth labs smell like ammonia and cat urine

"pt unable to sit for history due to back pain"

"pt pacing and fidgeting" --- "pt rocking back and forth" -- yep, common

It is all relevant to the situation and context. I don't care if they can read it.

I don't put in things like snarky, mean or dressed like a hooker --- that is inappropriate. I use terms when appropriate such as verbally confrontational or combative, loud, angry, agitated and then all the psych things like tangential, withdrawn, etc.

Paint a picture in the chart. It means something.

Just my crusty old 2 cents

• 2 weeks later...

20 year old woman complaining of 12/10 pain to bilateral wrists and neck.  During medical interview the patient is noted to be texting furiously with her head in a flexed position.  Eye contact was null and void. 

"anxious and dramatic"...this pt is wasting my time and yours and will be getting haldol as soon as I can make it happen.

"this pt has a strong odor of cannabis and the affect of a chronic daily user(they may be stoned right now)". I put this in a note yesterday

Archived