Is it possible to work as a PA without a Master's Degree?

I keep seeing these "bridge programs" for "working PA's" to obtain their Master's (PA-C) while continuing to work as a PA? Is this possible? I would imagine it is very difficult to get a job as a PA with your PA-C? Can anyone explain this to me? I only ask because, as a working mom (with 20 years of healthcare experience as a Pediatric Speech Therapist and a Master's in Speech Pathology), it would be SO much more practical for me to continue working (and attempt to get an intro level job as a PA), while slowly working towards my Masters online. I know this is not the best route, but its a shot in the dark. I am unable to attend a physical PA program due to my location and my children. Yale's online program looks amazing, but what are my chances of getting into the only school I apply for? I wont be able to apply to any of the other ones. I also still need 7 prerequisites and to re-take the GREs prior to even applying. I am trying so hard not to give up on this dream to change my entire career at 43 years old and become a PA, but I am getting discouraged. Would this even be a remote possibility with my clinical experience/profession? Perhaps working under an ENT as a "PA"??? So confused as to why there are "PA Bridge programs"? Not trying to take any shortcuts or offend any of you who have gone through all of the steps. Just trying to get creative since I can only attend ONE PA program. Thanks to anyone who can clarify this to me.

I keep seeing these "bridge programs" for "working PA's" to obtain their Master's (PA-C) while continuing to work as a PA? Is this possible? I would imagine it is very difficult to get a job as a PA with your PA-C? Can anyone explain this to me? I only ask because, as a working mom (with 20 years of healthcare experience as a Pediatric Speech Therapist and a Master's in Speech Pathology), it would be SO much more practical for me to continue working (and attempt to get an intro level job as a PA), while slowly working towards my Masters online. I know this is not the best route, but its a shot in the dark. I am unable to attend a physical PA program due to my location and my children. Yale's online program looks amazing, but what are my chances of getting into the only school I apply for? I wont be able to apply to any of the other ones. I also still need 7 prerequisites and to re-take the GREs prior to even applying. I am trying so hard not to give up on this dream to change my entire career at 43 years old and become a PA, but I am getting discouraged. Would this even be a remote possibility with my clinical experience/profession? Perhaps working under an ENT as a "PA"??? So confused as to why there are "PA Bridge programs"? Not trying to take any shortcuts or offend any of you who have gone through all of the steps. Just trying to get creative since I can only attend ONE PA program. Thanks to anyone who can clarify this to me.

Forgive me if I misinterpret your question.

1. To be licensed as a PA, you have to graduate from an approved program, then take and pass your boards. There is no apprenticeship way of doing that that I have ever heard of.

2. There are some non-masters program and state laws differ on your ability to practice. In Ohio, for example, you need as masters to prescribe. That is not necessarily true everywhere.

3. The bridge programs let PAs without a masters get one. Lots of the older PAs I know did it online at U of Nebraska.

4. Being in your 40s is not a problem; I didn’t take a prerequisite until I was 51.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

if you are going to do it...do it now. Since Masters has become the standard degree bridge programs are drying up due to lessening demand.

Yes it is possible. I did my masters in my 40's and my Phd in my late 40's and early 50's. Just find a program that fits your schedule and availability. Do any accredited MS program just to get than notch on your belt. Really.... nobody cares where your masters comes from just that you have one.

Yes, but it is getting harder every year. I graduated from a BS program in 96, got my masters in 98 and my doctorate in 2015.

99% of NPs(our primary competition) now have at least an MS with many having a DNP. 20 years ago there were lots of both PAs and NPs with certificates, associates, or BS level credentials. most of those folks are now retired or staying at their current job until retirement.

OP the bridge programs you are referring to are for PA-Cs who previously completed BS or AS PA programs - not just any old BS.    As most of those programs have phased out and are now conferring masters degrees, employers are starting to require a masters regardless of the fact that you are certified (or having the higher degree can earn you more money, etc etc).

The bridge programs are ONLY for people who have completed a PA program that was not a masters level program.  You can not just 'get a job as a PA' and do a bridge program.

You can not work as a PA without taking PANCE.  You can't take PANCE without completing an accredited PA program.  Keep in mind that even Yale's online program will require you to physically go to CT occasionally and your clinical year will still require significant time away from your kids.

7 minutes ago, CAdamsPAC said:

A Radiology phrase describing and abdominal film  "full of stool".

thats the polite way to say it

FOS = Full O S***

as to the posts on masters education and the like - times change, and yes we all should be graduating with a DMS for the same amount of education we already are completing.  Good heavens he DNP movement does it with far less!

It is not about teaching us more, it is about keeping up with the political insurance politician driven rules and regulations that we must stay on the winning side of......  ie why can we not order a pair of DM shoes????  regulations and that is it.....

53 minutes ago, CAdamsPAC said:

I'm wondering why after my 31 years of PA practice without a Master's Degree this is becoming a requirement? I've worked circle around the few DNP  I have encountered and taught Yale PA students for many years, all without a Masters. I guess that I'm incompetent.

My understanding is that having an MS degree is not a requirement to practice, but actually a requirement that going forward, ARC PA accredited programs award a graduate degree. I would think it makes sense to award students an MS for doing graduate level work. None of this says anything about the competency of clinicians who previously graduated with other credentials. 

what would make sense is to grant a doctorate right now to every PA school graduate without adding any additional material. in any other field 120 credits after a bs is not an MS, it is a doctorate. most masters degrees are 1/3 to 1/2 that. plenty of 40-60 credit masters out there in many fields. to go from a bs in public health to a DrPH from a quality school like Boston university can be done with around 80 credits. I found out after completing my 61 credit post-masters doctorate that I could have gotten a DrPH for 41 credits. Happy to have the DHSc, just saying there are many options out there. I think within 3-5 years we will see a handful of entry level doctoral PA programs granting a DMSc.

13 minutes ago, EMEDPA said:

I think within 3-5 years we will see a handful of entry level doctoral PA programs granting a DMSc.

And we shall happily create an online MS-DMSc bridge program to follow. 

34 minutes ago, HanSolo said:

And we shall happily create an online MS-DMSc bridge program to follow. 

there are already several. Lynchburg, LMU, Mass college of pharm, the Army/Baylor DSc postgrad residency program, several DHSc programs that cater mostly to PAs, etc

1 hour ago, lemurcatta said:

My understanding is that having an MS degree is not a requirement to practice, but actually a requirement that going forward, ARC PA accredited programs award a graduate degree. I would think it makes sense to award students an MS for doing graduate level work. None of this says anything about the competency of clinicians who previously graduated with other credentials. 

"None of this says anything about the competency of clinicians" so you are all for window dressing? It's a sad state that academic degrees are the "Brass Ring" on this ride with clinical competency maybe a runner up! IMHO it's nothing more than the universities milking the PA aspirant! Graduate level tuition brings in the cash and the programs that bring in the cash become big dogs on campus!!

• Administrator
58 minutes ago, CAdamsPAC said:

"None of this says anything about the competency of clinicians" so you are all for window dressing? It's a sad state that academic degrees are the "Brass Ring" on this ride with clinical competency maybe a runner up! IMHO it's nothing more than the universities milking the PA aspirant! Graduate level tuition brings in the cash and the programs that bring in the cash become big dogs on campus!!

There's two ways you can go:

1) Resist and be left behind
2) Cooperate and get fleeced for the useless additional degree.

In either event, griping about the injustice and stupidity of it all is welcome here among friends and colleagues; HR departments are going to be a lot less receptive, but we all know it's a scam.

For what it's worth, degree creep is nothing new.  My "three year" master of divinity (70 credits) is a replacement for a bachelor's of divinity.  Funny thing, in academic regalia, I would still wear that hood because it's a higher degree than an MS.

In either event, griping about the injustice and stupidity of it all is welcome here among friends and colleagues; HR departments are going to be a lot less receptive, but we all know it's a scam.

For what it's worth, degree creep is nothing new.  My "three year" master of divinity (70 credits) is a replacement for a bachelor's of divinity.  Funny thing, in academic regalia, I would still wear that hood because it's a higher degree than an MS.

Now I understand the origin of “Rev”!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As a PA with bachelors and not a masters, I will say that you do not have to have a masters to practice (at least not in Missouri or Illinois).  I had 2 other bachelors before attending PA school 20 years ago, and the education I received was absolutely a masters level education.  I have never had difficulty finding or securing employment without a masters and have no intention of doing a bridge program to a masters.  

10 hours ago, rev ronin said:

Or option #3, retire in 13 months and 24 days, not that anyone would keep track. It wasn’t financially wise for me to spend that money for an MS when the time window was short and it wasn’t going to earn me a dime more.

Addendum:  The moment I started listening to my daily devotional my statement here came immediately to mind.  For those who may be interested, James 4:13.

Option #3 is my plan, today.  What tomorrow holds for me is beyond my understanding at this point.

8 minutes ago, rev ronin said:

It's an ironic gamer tag; I have both an MDiv and a martial arts background, but no one actually calls me reverend anything, nor have they ever.

I need more coffee. I read that as marital arts and I wanted more information on the course of study..... *sigh*

Just 2 more 12's this week...

Archived