Biggest challenge of being a PA

Hello Everyone!

I am a pre-PA student, and I wanted some insight as to what the biggest challenge a PA may face? Or what are some political aspects of being a PA? I just want some first hand knowledge from those who are practicing. I have asked a few that I work with but I want more input. 

Thanks! 

Biggest challenge: making decisions as md's but with less training, especially during the first few years after graduation; eventually you will catch up (in terms of experience/knowledge) but it takes time, dedication, study to get there. Until then you just hope and pray that no one gets hurt by your mistakes. 

Professionally the biggest challenge is competency in the first few years. You wont realize how much you dont know until you are working. Expectations often dont line up with your level of training.

After you get your feet under you it's probably dealing with the ever-present unfairness administrators and MDs levy against PAs. You wont ever be treated the same as a doc, dont let anyone fool you. You might be close in some measures, but not a true peer.

Professionally the biggest challenge is competency in the first few years. You wont realize how much you dont know until you are working. Expectations often dont line up with your level of training.
After you get your feet under you it's probably dealing with the ever-present unfairness administrators and MDs levy against PAs. You wont ever be treated the same as a doc, dont let anyone fool you. You might be close in some measures, but not a true peer.

This.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, ventana said:

later in career

dealing with pointless supervision and having to figure out what this SP wants and to what detail (in spite of knowing that you are practicing good medicine)

Or not....later in career find a job without chart review....I work alone with no other clinician on site without state mandated chart review. I have a state mandated sponsoring physician of record on a piece of paper in a file somewhere.

8 hours ago, BruceBanner said:

Thank you so much! That seems to be the consensus! I'll definitely keep that in mind also. I am just prepping for interviews for several programs now. 

On 8/24/2018 at 1:52 AM, EMEDPA said:

dealing with nurses/docs/patients who are a$$clowns. 

Preach it brotha. It’s amazing how much the attitudes of docs and nursing staff varies from one location to the next. One place can be great go thirty minutes down the road and your in fear for your license.  

23 minutes ago, EDtech said:

Preach it brotha. It’s amazing how much the attitudes of docs and nursing staff varies from one location to the next. One place can be great go thirty minutes down the road and your in fear for your license.  

this. for years. To get respected as a clinician I have found I needed to go to a place other folks didn't want to go. A place which could not recruit physicians. when I show up for work everyone says how happy they are that I am working. the other PAs get this as well. want respect and great scope of practice? the answer is rural or underserved areas or specialties. Inner city, prisons, Indian health, Alaska Native clinics, etc

22 minutes ago, rev ronin said:

Don't forget administrators.

fortunately I have worked nights and solo rural 24s for the last 10 years or so. times/places that administrators almost never overlap with. The current ceo of the hospital I work at now has probably seen me 5 times in 5 years, generally in passing.

Know about the " parking lot model of hospital management"?

1. record license plate #s of all admin staff

2. pick a random month and record plate #s in parking lot every weekend, every holiday, and every day at 3 am.

3. If your plate is not recorded that month, the hospital runs fine without you and your services are no loner needed.

this. for years. To get respected as a clinician I have found I needed to go to a place other folks didn't want to go. A place which could not recruit physicians. when I show up for work everyone says how happy they are that I am working. the other PAs get this as well. want respect and great scope of practice? the answer is rural or underserved areas or specialties. Inner city, prisons, Indian health, Alaska Native clinics, etc

Working mostly at a rural Solo coverage site has truly changed my job outlook.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/23/2018 at 2:17 PM, ohiovolffemtp said:

I'd say the biggest challenge is getting the 1st job, especially one that provides a good learning environment.

Thank you! I feel that is universal with any kind of license too. Getting out there and establishing yourself. In this situation, seeing "what kind of PA I'm going to be"

Archived