Samuel Merritt University: 2018-2019 Cycle

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/11/2019 at 11:31 AM, AshB123 said:

Has anyone reached out for further details on waitlist status or updates with the Fresno campus? And if so, what have you heard? 

Haven’t heard anything. I am practicing the art of patience as the last email from SMU said that  next update would be in July… 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, Hopefully1DayPAc said:

Hello, 

I’m wondering if there’s an update on Fresno campus. I can’t seem to find the information on the site about the expansion anymore. I checked ARC-PAs site and Samuel Merritt is getting a site visit in September. What does this mean for the students whom received acceptance to Fresno if they are not able to launch the satellite campus this year? Will they be accepted to Oakland this upcoming fall or defer enrollment into the next class? Thanks! 

So I went to the SMU website and viewed their accreditation status from the June 2019 meeting and the ARC-PA placed SMU PA Program on Accreditation-Probation status until its next review in June 2021. I don't see anymore information in regards to the Fresno expansion and this may be why. 

There's also a message from the Program Chair, Mike DeRosa, PhD:

"The Samuel Merritt University Master Physician Assistant Program has a 20-year history of excellence in PA education. During our most recent self-study and accreditation review process, issues pertaining to the clinical year and how we collect and analyze data regarding our students’ supervised clinical practice experiences were raised. These issues, as well as a few logistical and administrative program issues, led to a decision to place the SMU PA Program on a probationary accreditation status. This is a temporary designation allowing the program time to comply fully with accreditation standards and expectations. The SMU PA Program remains an accredited program during its probationary period.

The SMU PA Program immediately engaged the resources of the University which is fully supportive of our efforts. Together the Department faculty and University administration will work to address issues raised in this review and restore our accreditation status to “Accreditation-Continuing.” We have every confidence that we will achieve this outcome together. In the interim, the SMU PA Program remains a strong, experienced program and faculty and will continue our efforts to train the best PA’s possible."

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, atlwizard said:

So I went to the SMU website and viewed their accreditation status from the June 2019 meeting and the ARC-PA placed SMU PA Program on Accreditation-Probation status until its next review in June 2021. I don't see anymore information in regards to the Fresno expansion and this may be why. 

There's also a message from the Program Chair, Mike DeRosa, PhD:

"The Samuel Merritt University Master Physician Assistant Program has a 20-year history of excellence in PA education. During our most recent self-study and accreditation review process, issues pertaining to the clinical year and how we collect and analyze data regarding our students’ supervised clinical practice experiences were raised. These issues, as well as a few logistical and administrative program issues, led to a decision to place the SMU PA Program on a probationary accreditation status. This is a temporary designation allowing the program time to comply fully with accreditation standards and expectations. The SMU PA Program remains an accredited program during its probationary period.

The SMU PA Program immediately engaged the resources of the University which is fully supportive of our efforts. Together the Department faculty and University administration will work to address issues raised in this review and restore our accreditation status to “Accreditation-Continuing.” We have every confidence that we will achieve this outcome together. In the interim, the SMU PA Program remains a strong, experienced program and faculty and will continue our efforts to train the best PA’s possible."

Wow. Would've been nice to get an update from them about these things. Especially since they said we would hear back from them in Juy, which the month is almost over 

I also noticed their PANCE rate dropped to 80% for the 2018 class. Looks like they have some problems they need to address 

• Like 2

They just e-mailed saying 

“I am writing to inform you that as a result of our recent accreditation site visit, the Samuel Merritt Master Physician Assistant program has been placed on probation. Probation is a temporary accreditation status that allows programs to address concerns or issues raised by our accreditors. The program remains accredited and students entering in 2019 are entering a fully accredited program. This is a 2-year process that will be completed prior to your anticipated graduation in 2021. Probationary status is an accreditation status without implications for licensing or certification.

While this is a disappointing outcome, we have every confidence that we will clear this probation and our program will be strengthened in the process. We are receiving the full support of the University in addressing these issues in a timely fashion.

Samuel Merritt has posted further information on its website at http://www.samuelmerritt.edu/physician_assistant/accreditation. Feel free to reach out to me at any time with questions.

We look forward to working with you in the fall!”

I was accepted to Oakland campus...not sure how to feel. Anyone else’s thoughts?

1 hour ago, NicoleJo said:

“I am writing to inform you that as a result of our recent accreditation site visit, the Samuel Merritt Master Physician Assistant program has been placed on probation. Probation is a temporary accreditation status that allows programs to address concerns or issues raised by our accreditors. The program remains accredited and students entering in 2019 are entering a fully accredited program. This is a 2-year process that will be completed prior to your anticipated graduation in 2021. Probationary status is an accreditation status without implications for licensing or certification.

While this is a disappointing outcome, we have every confidence that we will clear this probation and our program will be strengthened in the process. We are receiving the full support of the University in addressing these issues in a timely fashion.

Samuel Merritt has posted further information on its website at http://www.samuelmerritt.edu/physician_assistant/accreditation. Feel free to reach out to me at any time with questions.

I was accepted to Oakland campus...not sure how to feel. Anyone else’s thoughts?

Were you accepted off the waitlist or have you been accepted since the beginning? 

10 minutes ago, kgjohnso5 said:

Were you accepted off the waitlist or have you been accepted since the beginning? 

I’ve been accepted since the beginning. I just talked to someone who was accepted to Fresno and she said that they received e mails saying something along the lines of their seat would be reserved for them for next year.

Edited by NicoleJo

17 hours ago, NicoleJo said:

I’ve been accepted since the beginning. I just talked to someone who was accepted to Fresno and she said that they received e mails saying something along the lines of their seat would be reserved for them for next year.

That's sad for the Fresno people that have been accepted. I'm also unsure about how to feel about the accreditation status. I am accepted at another school, but really wanted to go here and am pretty high on the waitlist. 

I wonder if they will transfer some of the Fresno students over to Oakland.  

Edited by kgjohnso5
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, NicoleJo said:

I just got this same e-mail including the line "We look forward to working with you in the fall!" But as far as I know I am still on the waitlist. Did anyone else that is not yet admitted get this part of the e-mail?? I don't want to get my hopes up!

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, AshB123 said:

I just got this same e-mail including the line "We look forward to working with you in the fall!" But as far as I know I am still on the waitlist. Did anyone else that is not yet admitted get this part of the e-mail?? I don't want to get my hopes up!

I just got the same email and I am still on the waitlist as far as I know, too

8 hours ago, LeBronisGOAT said:

Wow. Would've been nice to get an update from them about these things. Especially since they said we would hear back from them in Juy, which the month is almost over 

I also noticed their PANCE rate dropped to 80% for the 2018 class. Looks like they have some problems they need to address 

First year PA student here. I completely understand your frustration with this. However, SMU just found out their accreditation status and were given 48 hours from them being notified to inform everyone, which it seems they did. Secondly, the PANCE scores have dropped due to the test changing this year. In addition to other individual issues that have hindered others to not pass the PANCE. 

Edited by Peanut3
  • Like 1

I am still going to go. The email did not deter my decision to attend Samuel Merritt. I was accepted to the Oakland campus and I still believe the school knows what they are doing in order to succeed in getting out of the probationary period. ARC-PA is really strict and even the little things can put a school on probation. This will strengthen the curriculum. I am sorry for the Fresno campus. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, AshB123 said:

I think everyone who was either accepted or waitlisted got this general email. This doesn't mean you were accepted.

Perhaps someone knows the answer to this Oakland waitlist “elephant in the room“ question…

Some, including myself, stated a hard preference for the Oakland campus only  and assume would not have been offered a space in the Fresno campus, even if our ranking number was reached (this is speculation though, not known fact).  Now that the Fresno campus is not going to happen, do the Fresno individuals all get preference into the Oakland campus regardless of the initial ranking of applicants? 

My intention is not to sound selfish, as I feel deep sympathies for those who currently were going to be in the Fresno group. I can’t imagine what they’re going through. My intent is simply to help us that are currently high on the Oakland waitlist understand if we need to now look at other options for PA school and consider our waitlist for SM now increased by 22?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Blaze00031 said:

Perhaps someone knows the answer to this Oakland waitlist “elephant in the room“ question…

Some, including myself, stated a hard preference for the Oakland campus only  and assume would not have been offered a space in the Fresno campus, even if our ranking number was reached (this is speculation though, not known fact).  Now that the Fresno campus is not going to happen, do the Fresno individuals all get preference into the Oakland campus regardless of the initial ranking of applicants? 

My intention is not to sound selfish, as I feel deep sympathies for those who currently were going to be in the Fresno group. I can’t imagine what they’re going through. My intent is simply to help us that are currently high on the Oakland waitlist understand if we need to now look at other options for PA school and consider our waitlist for SM now increased by 22?

The people who were accepted to Fresno will be put on a lottery-style wait list to fill the spots that are currently open in Oakland. So they will have priority at Oakland this year before anyone else is accepted off of the waitlist that we are on. Hope that is helpful 😞 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, AshB123 said:

The people who were accepted to Fresno will be put on a lottery-style wait list to fill the spots that are currently open in Oakland. So they will have priority at Oakland this year before anyone else is accepted off of the waitlist that we are on. Hope that is helpful 😞 

Thanks for the information.  I guess the Oakland waitlist can stop waiting for the phone to ring and move on to other options. 

Hoping the best for the Fresno students… 

Hi all, SMU alum here and just wanted to give you all a heads up about what to expect for those that were accepted. Congrats btw! 

It is true that the recent graduating class had pretty low PANCE rates but I think that the reason is multi-factorial and SMU faculty or others shouldn’t be looking for 1 thing to blame it on. Could students have studied more or used more efficient study tactics? Always. Could SMU have done more to prepare students for the test and specifically for the changes made in format and structure of the new exam? MOST DEFINITELY!! The fact that ARC-PA put them on probationary status reflects that need for improvement. My hope is that faculty take it seriously and try to make it a better learning environment with better organization. 

For students recently accepted, the important thing to know is that you got in and your biggest goal is to just get through and pass the PANCE. You will still feel like you know nothing once you get into practice and that is really when the learning begins. PA school is just the initiation that we can all relate to and remember the ridiculous exam schedules that left us jittery from caffeine overload for weeks on in. Remember that you are responsible for yourself and YOU have to get through this. The school may say that they are supporting you however they can but in reality they don’t care. You’re just another number in the PA making machine. At least that’s the feel at SMU in the recent years. Some faculty do care and are fantastic people, don’t get me wrong. But do not expect them to come and coach you up when you fail your first exam. It’s on you to get through and get out. Lean on your classmates and help each other out. 

Sorry if you think this sounds preachy or too negative. That’s not my intent. I would have appreciated knowing some of this going in and knowing not to drink the cool aid. I’m not saying don’t buy in some because it helps to make a better experience while you’re there. It’s more about realistic expectations.  

*stepping down from soap box* 

Congrats to those that got in and welcome to the family! For those that didn’t, don’t give up if this is what you really want to do. Improve yourself and better prepare yourself for doing well in PA school and being a PA and your application will reflect that. 

• Upvote 1

On 7/23/2019 at 4:23 PM, AshB123 said:

I got this email too, and I am a student applying this year to matriculate in 2020. Hope you get in!

On 7/25/2019 at 11:47 AM, PADude123 said:

Hi all, SMU alum here and just wanted to give you all a heads up about what to expect for those that were accepted. Congrats btw! 

It is true that the recent graduating class had pretty low PANCE rates but I think that the reason is multi-factorial and SMU faculty or others shouldn’t be looking for 1 thing to blame it on. Could students have studied more or used more efficient study tactics? Always. Could SMU have done more to prepare students for the test and specifically for the changes made in format and structure of the new exam? MOST DEFINITELY!! The fact that ARC-PA put them on probationary status reflects that need for improvement. My hope is that faculty take it seriously and try to make it a better learning environment with better organization. 

For students recently accepted, the important thing to know is that you got in and your biggest goal is to just get through and pass the PANCE. You will still feel like you know nothing once you get into practice and that is really when the learning begins. PA school is just the initiation that we can all relate to and remember the ridiculous exam schedules that left us jittery from caffeine overload for weeks on in. Remember that you are responsible for yourself and YOU have to get through this. The school may say that they are supporting you however they can but in reality they don’t care. You’re just another number in the PA making machine. At least that’s the feel at SMU in the recent years. Some faculty do care and are fantastic people, don’t get me wrong. But do not expect them to come and coach you up when you fail your first exam. It’s on you to get through and get out. Lean on your classmates and help each other out. 

Sorry if you think this sounds preachy or too negative. That’s not my intent. I would have appreciated knowing some of this going in and knowing not to drink the cool aid. I’m not saying don’t buy in some because it helps to make a better experience while you’re there. It’s more about realistic expectations.  

*stepping down from soap box* 

Congrats to those that got in and welcome to the family! For those that didn’t, don’t give up if this is what you really want to do. Improve yourself and better prepare yourself for doing well in PA school and being a PA and your application will reflect that. 

I appreciate your honesty, although I have to say that it would have been nice to hear these things prior to choosing SMU over other programs. I don't necessarily regret my decision; however, I do wish there was more transparency during the application process so that students could make the best decision possible in regards to where they pay for their education.

Update. I’ve been told the lottery for the Fresno students will take place as they only had 7 open seats in Oakland and at least 8 people admitted to Fresno already have expressed interest in taking them. No word on when any of it will actually take place and a revised waitlist be released