Samuel Merritt University: 2018-2019 Cycle

2 hours ago, wahwahwei said:

Mannnn. I have a feeling that if you don't get call within days after each interview session, we are more likely to be put on the waitlist or rejected. Or at least we got higher chances to be on the waitlist. 

I did read online it’s usually a little over a week after the interview date that they let the selected applicants know, so don’t worry yet!! 

Has anyone from the 1/26 interview date heard back at all!? Thanks and big congrats to those who have gotten in! 

To all prePA applicants, 

I am a recent graduate from this program and just passed my boards! I am writing in here because I remember stalking and refreshing this website everyday/hour. By now, some of you have been accepted and congratulations! Others are still waiting and some may be denied. Whatever the case may be, I encourage you to continue to pursue your dreams no matter how hard it is to get it! Back in 2015, I posted in one of the forum threads about to give up on being a PA but people in here encouraged me to keep going trying. The only reason why I was going to give up was because I applied to PA school 7 times already. Yes. SEVEN times before I got in. I graduated with an undergrad GPA of 2.45. Yes. 2.45! But since then I've worked my butt off to achieve my dreams. So whatever your results may be, please know you are going into a great profession and persistence will pay off!! Also be patient with the school/faculty as interview process is a lot of work for them. I was the last person of my cohort to be accepted. I was accepted off the waitlist as the last person and was not accepted till the FIRST DAY OF ORIENTATION (meaning school technically already started). I walked into that classroom saying "hi everyone! I was just accepted 3 hours ago!". So my message here to you all is to keep trying and that rejections don't mean the end of the world! Good luck and congrats to those that have been accepted!

• Like 17
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, william208 said:

To all prePA applicants, 

I am a recent graduate from this program and just passed my boards! I am writing in here because I remember stalking and refreshing this website everyday/hour. By now, some of you have been accepted and congratulations! Others are still waiting and some may be denied. Whatever the case may be, I encourage you to continue to pursue your dreams no matter how hard it is to get it! Back in 2015, I posted in one of the forum threads about to give up on being a PA but people in here encouraged me to keep going trying. The only reason why I was going to give up was because I applied to PA school 7 times already. Yes. SEVEN times before I got in. I graduated with an undergrad GPA of 2.45. Yes. 2.45! But since then I've worked my butt off to achieve my dreams. So whatever your results may be, please know you are going into a great profession and persistence will pay off!! Also be patient with the school/faculty as interview process is a lot of work for them. I was the last person of my cohort to be accepted. I was accepted off the waitlist as the last person and was not accepted till the FIRST DAY OF ORIENTATION (meaning school technically already started). I walked into that classroom saying "hi everyone! I was just accepted 3 hours ago!". So my message here to you all is to keep trying and that rejections don't mean the end of the world! Good luck and congrats to those that have been accepted!

hey thank you for your words of wisdom. I really appreciate that. Yeah. Being in this position sucks. But we are all keeping our hopes up! You are my inspiration. You must have good interview skills.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JayTheHopefulPA said:

Yeah I interviewed on 1/26. I am a little bummed because at least two people who were in my interview group were already accepted. I haven’t heard anything and it just makes me feel like I might not have made the cut. 

Yikes!! I interviewed 1/26 as well and didn’t hear back

10 hours ago, JayTheHopefulPA said:

Yeah I interviewed on 1/26. I am a little bummed because at least two people who were in my interview group were already accepted. I haven’t heard anything and it just makes me feel like I might not have made the cut. 

I know exactly how all of you expressing doubt feel, and I think it's important to note that the odds are in your favor.

• Over 2000 people applied this year to the program.
  • Of that, I believe only 160 people were offered interviews.
  • There are 44 seats in Oakland and 24 ? twenty something seats for Fresno. Right off the bat, assuming there are 24 seats in Fresno, that's 68 seats total.
  • They said after each interview, 10 to 12 of their TOP candidates are offered seats immediately. Let's say they only offer 10 top candidates seats per interview, so that's their top 18.7% of interviewees who have already been offered seats.
  • Once interviews have concluded, they probably combine ranked lists or go ahead and rank people, and then begin offering the remainder 38 seats to people. If my assumed number of seats is correct, that's 42.5% of those who interview being offered a seat by this point.
  • You have to keep in mind that not everyone is going to accept the seat offered to them, so that 42.5% is going to increase to hopefully at least 50%. I know programs who open additional interview dates just because they exhaust their wait list - not to say that SMU will, but that I know it's happened in great programs that I've applied to this cycle. IF THEY INTERVIEWED YOU THEY WANT YOU ! Unless your personality isn't a fit, which is totally fine - there are other programs out there!

These numbers made me feel so much better when I was waiting for my acceptance 🙈

Side note: @william208 thank you so much for sharing your story!!! I know we don't know each other, but I am so proud of you. You're going to do so many wonderful things.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, PASurge10 said:

I got an offer earlier today too and I'm still in shock! Keep an eye out for a "No caller ID" call. I ignored it a couple times and it turned out to be Dr. Magaña haha. Don't give up hope y'all. There is still a chance!

I got a call from a +11 number ?

did anyone else 

1 minute ago, PASurge10 said:

I got an offer earlier today too and I'm still in shock! Keep an eye out for a "No caller ID" call. I ignored it a couple times and it turned out to be Dr. Magaña haha. Don't give up hope y'all. There is still a chance!

I got a call from a +11 number ?

did anyone else 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, FredHg said:

Has anybody heard anything in the last 8 days? I'm slowly dying inside haha.

1 hour ago, Mayymayy said:

Hi! I haven’t heard anything. Soo sooo anxious as well!!!! 

Same...I am a creep and keep checking how many people are in the FB group and it’s gone up from around 29 to 35 since last Monday when they sent out some more acceptances.

Good news maybe is that we should all know by the 27th since that’s when everyone heard the last two years in a row! 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, atlwizard said:

omg!!! congrats! what was the subject title for your email?

Thank you so much!🙂

I received two e-mails but the one that obviously caught my attention was titled "Congratulations! You've been admitted to Samuel Merritt University" and the other contained all of my information for admission. I received them both around 8:30am this morning 2/21/19.

• Like 1