What a tiny percentage of PA's in the US voted in the AAPA election

Most folks have said that the just completed AAPA elections were the most significant in years for setting the direction for the future of the profession.  I certainly agree.

With all that is in play about the future of our profession I was really struck by how a very small number of folks voted - and how those few who did likely have significantly influenced our future.  According to the best data I can get quickly, there are over 115,000 PA's in the US.  This is from the NCCPA, so it's only PA's that have their certification and the data is from 2016, so the total is certainly higher.  According to the AAPA report, there were 38,745 PA's eligible to vote in the election.  That's 33% of NCPPA's total, or less than 1/3 of the total PA's in the US.  Only 3,406 ballots were cast, or less than 9% of the total eligible, or less than 3% of the total PA's in the US.  So, those of us who voted really got our voices heard.  

The hard work is ahead: getting the states and various federal agencies to change laws and rules to bring OTP into broad fruition.  Those of us who were energized enough to vote need to work to make that happen - and to get many more PA's involved in those efforts.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was really surprised by this. It's sort of a buzz kill to be honest. Even with such an important election, only 9% of people who were eligible to vote actually voted. Sort of ticks me off being a student too because I really wanted to be able to vote in this election. 

I think this is another area of major improvement. Getting PAs to start supporting AAPA and the PAC. If everybody just contributed a little bit we could see some major changes in our profession. 

I can speak only for myself, but I went from being an ardent AAPA supporter to being disinterested for a couple primary reasons:

1. For a relatively long time, they never seemed to do a damn thing.

2. They took on a political perspective that is 180 degree away from my own political beliefs. (Since we are not allowed to discuss politics on here, I'll leave it at that.)

In response, people kept hitting me with the argument that I HAD to support them becasue they were the only show in town. For $100 I would maybe buy that. I'm not spending $300 to support an organization that promotes things I do not believe in. Bad enough I had to spend the last 8 years doing that with my federal taxes.

I like what I see now; maybe I will be back.

This isn't unique to our profession...it is pretty typical in fact for the majority of any profession to be pretty apathetic and unplugged until something happens that actually affects them.

NCCPA membership doesn't necessarily equate to AAPA membership. After all the NCCPA has a strangle hold on the profession and the AAPA doesn't Since you have to be an AAPA member to vote I think the total number of eligible voters is quite a bit lower.

That said I don't know the actual numbers but if 1/3 of the AAPA membership voted that would be an unusually good turnout. If you are really plugged in ad interested it will always amaze you how many people aren't or just don't care (see above).

In any case the elections are over, great people got elected and some great people didn't. Now there is much work to do.

10 minutes ago, sas5814 said:

This isn't unique to our profession...it is pretty typical in fact for the majority of any profession to be pretty apathetic and unplugged until something happens that actually affects them.

NCCPA membership doesn't necessarily equate to AAPA membership. After all the NCCPA has a strangle hold on the profession and the AAPA doesn't Since you have to be an AAPA member to vote I think the total number of eligible voters is quite a bit lower.

That said I don't know the actual numbers but if 1/3 of the AAPA membership voted that would be an unusually good turnout. If you are really plugged in ad interested it will always amaze you how many people aren't or just don't care (see above).

In any case the elections are over, great people got elected and some great people didn't. Now there is much work to do.

It's sad and pathetic that people sit there and do NOTHING. I think that is why a lot of PAs are unhappy (Yes, this is multifactorial), but I feel like a HUGE part of why people want to go back to medical school. We do not get respect and we are loosing jobs to NPs. Get with it people and give up some $ for legislative work and VOTE. 

23 minutes ago, CJAdmission said:

I can speak only for myself, but I went from being an ardent AAPA supporter to being disinterested for a couple primary reasons:

2. They took on a political perspective that is 180 degree away from my own political beliefs. (Since we are not allowed to discuss politics on here, I'll leave it at that.)

In response, people kept hitting me with the argument that I HAD to support them becasue they were the only show in town. For $100 I would maybe buy that. I'm not spending $300 to support an organization that promotes things I do not believe in. Bad enough I had to spend the last 8 years doing that with my federal taxes.

Good! :)

1 hour ago, CJAdmission said:

I forget.  What is AAPA again?  I have absolutely no clue as to when I was last a member for the reasons so eloquently stated above.  The difference is that I won't be back, at least for the last couple of years that I have left.  State level membership?  I still am a member there but I've had issues with TAPA as well in the two instances that I've contacted them over 34 years.

I'm in the other camp. I wasn't an AAPA member for several years because they were a star chamber and the BOD did whatever they wanted regardless of what the membership and HOD said. I have seen some positive changes in the last few years including OTP and title change so I am back.

TAPA has been so deep in TMAs pocket it disgusts me. They can't blow their nose without asking TMA first so I dropped my membership many years ago and won't go back until they stop sharing office space and personnel with TMA and grow a pair.

Rev, knowing now some of the dynamics of what happened there, that is not going to happen. I don't agree with what happened, but there are only three people left on the board from that decision. I don't think that should be the singular reason not to work with the AAPA to move things forward for the profession. One reason being, you don't get to vote for individuals not to let it happen again in the future if you aren't a member.

When the AAPA puts out a clear plan of action for winning independent practice, I will give them my financial support. I refuse to give money to cowards who essentially live in fear and won't lead for change. The PA profession will be decimated in five years by the NPs. AAPA should drop all requirements for financial support to vote or participate. If they make it voluntary and they show results, their revenues from contributions will soar. Until then, they should be viewed for the scam that they truly are. Take your money--->propose status quo. I see them as one step below the NCCPA on the integrity ladder.

45 minutes ago, CJAdmission said:

There's a little spark there now for something to happen. If it catches flame, I am in. If it gets smothered by the swamp, I'm with you.

Then this spark should give you hope and give your money to them for at least 2 years as without money the AAPA cannot "catch flame" for the OTP. 

2 hours ago, SinkingShip said:

When the AAPA puts out a clear plan of action for winning independent practice, I will give them my financial support. I refuse to give money to cowards who essentially live in fear and won't lead for change. The PA profession will be decimated in five years by the NPs. AAPA should drop all requirements for financial support to vote or participate. If they make it voluntary and they show results, their revenues from contributions will soar. Until then, they should be viewed for the scam that they truly are. Take your money--->propose status quo. I see them as one step below the NCCPA on the integrity ladder.

/agree.

I'll be honest, as a student and soon-to-be PA, it's somewhat disheartening to see so many practicing PAs say that they won't support the main organization that advocates for progress in our profession. Yes you have to be an AAPA member to vote for those who share your values and ideals for the future, but they're the only show in town and you aren't going to change anything from the outside looking in. 

It's like a vicious cycle. Saying you won't support the organization until the leadership does/says what you think they should do, but then failing to participate in the political process that elects those leaders means that change will never occur (or more likely, it will occur in a different direction than you want). 

There are many PAs on the Huddle that seem perfectly content with the status quo, and are either against OTP or are extremely skeptical of it. We need PAs like those on this forum who are progressive visionaries to counter those who don't care to see the profession move forward. But you have to pay to play. 

Of course the system isn't perfect, and the AAPA won't always focus on exactly what you think is important, but they seem to have woken up over the last few years and the recently elected leaders appear genuinely concerned with moving the PA profession forward. If you don't participate, then how can you be mad when things aren't going the way you think they should? There is no free lunch. 

1 hour ago, ProSpectre said:

I'll be honest, as a student and soon-to-be PA, it's somewhat disheartening to see so many practicing PAs say that they won't support the main organization that advocates for progress in our profession. Yes you have to be an AAPA member to vote for those who share your values and ideals for the future, but they're the only show in town and you aren't going to change anything from the outside looking in. 

It's like a vicious cycle. Saying you won't support the organization until the leadership does/says what you think they should do, but then failing to participate in the political process that elects those leaders means that change will never occur (or more likely, it will occur in a different direction than you want). 

There are many PAs on the Huddle that seem perfectly content with the status quo, and are either against OTP or are extremely skeptical of it. We need PAs like those on this forum who are progressive visionaries to counter those who don't care to see the profession move forward. But you have to pay to play. 

Of course the system isn't perfect, and the AAPA won't always focus on exactly what you think is important, but they seem to have woken up over the last few years and the recently elected leaders appear genuinely concerned with moving the PA profession forward. If you don't participate, then how can you be mad when things aren't going the way you think they should? There is no free lunch. 

This^^ Completely!

Sort of reminds me of the younger generation who complain but don't do anything about it. 

• Administrator
3 hours ago, MidwesternTexan said:

Oh, and I agree with your viewpoints

Thanks, but to be clear--no one has to agree with me (or any of the staff) on anything.  We're not Huddle here, after all.  Each of us has our own opinions, and as long as no one goes off the deep end with the insults, everything is just fine.  Several long-time posters actively disagree with me (or other moderators) on a number of things, and we'd be a pretty boring site if no one ever did.

Archived