For a while, I threatened to go to Home Depot and get a tool belt.

The ER I worked in couldn't be trusted to leave anything laying anywhere - so I had trauma shears, the ever present hemostat universal tool of whatever, stethoscope, reflex hammer, pens, whatever. I had all my scrub pockets full.

It was so hot in Texas - even in the middle of the night - that the concept of putting on a jacket was not comprehensible.

My team threatened me with an ammo belt if I couldn't find a better way. I finally found a drawer with a key in it and - voila - my own secret drawer. That key was much easier to carry around.

• Upvote 2

• 3 years later...

I’ve been a PA for 13 years...I love what I do but I would never wear a white coat. Honestly here’s what I’ve seen over the years and those who don’t agree are most likely part of the problem... 1000s of PA students who chose PA over MD because it’s one less step, less schooling...it’s easier and faster than MD. It’s really not thought...MDs/DOs go through 2 years of schooling 2 years of clinical’s with courses the residency and some a fellowship. Where when they start residency they make as much or more than some PAs....food for thought that a lot don’t take the time to consider.

I had two students just this past year who changed from MD to PA because they didn’t want to take Organic Chem 2 and it wasn’t required for the PA programs they wanted.... I see a generation of entitled and lazy PAs. I truly hope I’m wrong. But in the end PAs should NOT wear the white coat 1 it is uncomfortable but 2 it’s a “symbol” for physicians...if you wanted the white coat that badly you should have done the extra work end of story. NPs are a different topic..my own wife is an NP and she’ll be the first to tell you she wishes she would have just gone to Med school it’s just not the same as being a PA or NP you are more limited on several levels. There’s no reason to confuse the public about it. Have to say I love my nurses and techs/PCAs/CNAs...true backbone of healthcare +/- a few. 

• Downvote 1