I haven’t worn a white coat in about 20 yrs. I am hot natured and the coats are cumbersome. They don’t represent anything to me. The clerks at the Clinique counter wear them......

They get dirty and look grungy. 

Happier with my govt ID badge, name tag and being comfortable.

just my crusty old 2 cents....actions speak louder than a coat

• Upvote 6

I wear one sometimes, mostly when I'm cold.  Here's the thing - docs don't own the "graduated medical professional" status.  We are graduates and if you elect to wear a white coat, do so.

That said, they are a huge infectious disease vector.  I guess if physicians want to be sole owners of that, they can be my guest.

• Upvote 4

37 minutes ago, Reality Check 2 said:

I haven’t worn a white coat in about 20 yrs. I am hot natured and the coats are cumbersome. They don’t represent anything to me. The clerks at the Clinique counter wear them......

They get dirty and look grungy. 

Happier with my govt ID badge, name tag and being comfortable.

just my crusty old 2 cents....actions speak louder than a coat

Back when I wore a Lab Coat, my pet peeve was the number of others wearing Lab Coats , didn't understand the heavily starched ,brilliant whiteness of my Lab Coat with my name and professional title embroidered on it . As a former NCO in the US Army I couldn't understand the wearing of stained, rumpled ill-fitting clothing.

I've worn one exactly three times in residency.  I'm in peds and kids are scared of them, so that's one thing.  They get dirty as hell, so that's the other thing.  And everyone wears them, so it doesn't mean anything in terms of differentiating people, so really, who cares?  Wear one if you want. 

• Upvote 1

Medicine stole the coat from scientists so how about me take their argument to the next logical step and argue that only laboratory scientists should wear the white coat...

While we are at it, btw, they don’t own “doctor” either. PhDs are the O.G. Doctors. 

Im not a PA yet but I look foward tonersonally not wearing a white coat in clinical practice. I’ll stick with my black Patagonia jacket when it gets cold on the hospital.

physicians can be a sensitive bunch it seems.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Ket131 said:

I could care less about white coats. I just want to be good PA and hope that my future colleagues can put their trust in me and my work.  I do want that PA-C/PA labeled plastic tag though...connect it to my shirt :)

Check state laws - many require a name tag at all times at work - everyone should wear one in my opinion - MA, LPN, RN, PA, NP, DO, MD. We have ones at work that say ADMIN so as not to confuse a suit with someone who can do CPR....

I always have a name tag on with my credentials. Just keeps things straight.

The gist of the article seems to be twofold; one, I worked hard for this and I get that.  Two, look at me!

In civilian life, you can tell a difference between a former nco and a civilian.  Usually, it is evident in the way they walk, talk, and present themselves to the world.  They carry themselves with confidence, and don't need flair.  If you need a white coat to show the world you are special, maybe you are doing it wrong.

• Upvote 2

I think it’s pretty ridiculous who wears a coat sometimes, but I don’t care enough to make any mention of it. I think someone who does is being kind of pretentious. Certainly PAs are deserving of it. 

Personally I’ll just keep wearing my department and name embroidered Patagonia jacket that doesn’t yellow and beads off fluids :)

• Upvote 2

If my lab coat is on, it's because I'm cold, just got out of the OR (couple of surgical rotations I was on required them when we were not in OR - habit stuck)  or I'm not wearing my 5-11's and I need pockets.  My place is too cheap to get a "uniform" sweater or jacket for us...though I do have a fleece with name and credentials embroidered on it.

SK

White coats aside, now I want to figure out how to make my govt ID photo NOT look like a funhouse mirror..... could they possibly take a worse pic????

I found my old lab coats from school and my first job in a closet. They have my maiden name on them and well, I was not as fluffy back then. I have never done anything with them because they do have my name and credentials on them. I would donate them to a school for chem lab or for a school play or something. Just wanted to get my name off of them first. Any other ideas out there?

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Reality Check 2 said:

White coats aside, now I want to figure out how to make my govt ID photo NOT look like a funhouse mirror..... could they possibly take a worse pic????

I found my old lab coats from school and my first job in a closet. They have my maiden name on them and well, I was not as fluffy back then. I have never done anything with them because they do have my name and credentials on them. I would donate them to a school for chem lab or for a school play or something. Just wanted to get my name off of them first. Any other ideas out there?

I burnt mine from my previous job! :)

• Upvote 2

Guest UVAPAC

Agree with the above.

I wore one for my first several months as a PA, primarily because I appeared to be young, and thought it would make patients more comfortable with me as a provider.

I quickly realized they were not necessary, and I feel most people are more comfortable seeing "just a regular guy"