Why Do People Do This to Themselves?

Saw some Twitter video of folks collapsing near the finish line of the Dallas Marathon this morning (one gal who is repeatedly collapsing is reportedly an NY shrink).  I understand being fit but when one considers the joy of torture of completing the task, the fun of gross hematuria for a day or so, the spillage of myoglobin to the kidneys, etc. with risk of ARI; I can't imagine anything else that I'd rather not be doing.  Back to my desk chair.

Totally agree with you. Exercise is supposed to be healthy but extreme exercise will only make you kick the bucket sooner. This marathon running is something I will never understand.

Exercise and exercise tolerance means different things to different people. I am in pretty good shape and run a decent amount, but would never run without drinking fluids or replacing carbs so hard that I get rhabdo. I consider a 20 mile run at a moderate pace a nice run. I do AM marathons then work a 12 hr night shift. If I train adequately I am not even sore after said marathon. mind you I am not breaking any speed records, even for my age. I have yet to qualify for Boston.  I ran a 50k, a 50 miler, and a 100 miler a few years ago after running a marathon/week for 6 months in training. yes, I was REALLY sore for a few days after, but no, I did not pee blood, get rhabdo, get stress fxs, etc. it is all about pacing yourself. I am not some crazy freak of nature. I think everyone can run a 100 miler with training. it's only extreme exercise if you treat it that way. the guy who won the 100 miler I ran did it in 13 hours. that is extreme. my finish time was more than twice that. 80 people started the race. something like 65 finished, many several decades older than me. I met a guy there who was 67 who runs a marathon or ultra every saturday. no other training. healthy dude. travels the country in a luxury motor home going from race to race. retired engineer if I remember correctly. 

Exercise and exercise tolerance means different things to different people. I am in pretty good shape and run a decent amount, but would never run without drinking fluids or replacing carbs so hard that I get rhabdo. I consider a 20 mile run at a moderate pace a nice run. I do AM marathons then work a 12 hr night shift. If I train adequately I am not even sore after said marathon. mind you I am not breaking any speed records, even for my age. I have yet to qualify for Boston.  I ran a 50k, a 50 miler, and a 100 miler a few years ago after running a marathon/week for 6 months in training. yes, I was REALLY sore for a few days after, but no, I did not pee blood, get rhabdo, get stress fxs, etc. it is all about pacing yourself. I am not some crazy freak of nature. I think everyone can run a 100 miler with training. it's only extreme exercise if you treat it that way. the guy who won the 100 miler I ran did it in 13 hours. that is extreme. my finish time was more than twice that. 80 people started the race. something like 65 finished, many several decades older than me. I met a guy there who was 67 who runs a marathon or ultra every saturday. no other training. healthy dude. travels the country in a luxury motor home going from race to race. retired engineer if I remember correctly. 

But you sir are known to be super human. I am but Clark Kent without Superman.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I hated running when I first joined the Army, but came to have a love hate relationship with it over the years.  I'm a firm believer that anything >10km is just plain self-abuse and or abuse of your subordinates...I'm a firm believer in the words "There is a fine line between hard and stupid"; sounds like some folks just jump over and land on their faces.

SK

I'm still looking for my personal stupid line. I think it is probably somewhere between 125 and 225 miles. thinking about doing the Tahoe 200 miler, which has a 90 hr cut off time.

http://www.tahoe200.com/

I'm of the opinion that it isn't how much you do, but how fast you do it that makes it stupid. I could probably take 2-3 min/mile off my PR marathon time, but might start looking like those idiots having syncope at the finish line. not going to do it. I like enjoying race day....and the next day too...

I just walked a brisk pace to the kitchen to grab a beer.  A bit of chest pain and some mild dizziness when I got back to the couch but, this too shall pass.

11 hours ago, EMEDPA said:

somewhere between 125 and 225 miles. thinking about doing the Tahoe 200 miler,

you ain't right

10 hours ago, ral said:

A bit of chest pain and some mild dizziness when I got back to the couch but, this too shall pass.

No, no, report to nearest ED for a sammich, Dilaudid and Z-pack

And then I see tonight on the news about a guy who face planted on the pavement in cardiac arrest during the race. Trainer on site and DFR (Dallas Fire-Rescue) paramedic got him back. “I started running last year” and he’s older than me by the looks of it (older than dirt that is). Bet I know how much of a workup he got before starting an exercise routine. No hx CVD and plans to run it next year.

I personally have no desire to ever run a marathon, but I respect that kind of grit.

What bothers me about marathoners (and runners in general) is how bloody cultish they are about it. They see it as the absolute apex of human exercise, and i dont know about you all but the "runner" patients I get are some of the most neurotic and unhealthy athletes I've ever seen. Constant MSK issues, anemia and ammenorrhea in females, no appreciable muscle mass.

I'm a former powerlifter, which can be extreme but on the opposite end of the spectrum. I definitely paid a toll for pounding my joints with huge weights over 10 years. The way I see it, sustained pursuit of extremes is neither conducive to longevity or general health. And there is some evidence to support this. To say otherwise is a lie extreme athletes sometimes tell themselves to avoid cognitive dissonance. 290-lb powerlifters on CPAPs do it and 130 lb marathoners with LVH do it too. 

Not passing moral judgment on these people. I get it, really I do. But I think you have to decide at some point "ok, am I going to pursue this to the detriment of my lifespan because it's really what makes me come alive, or am I going to dial it back and take more of a generalist approach, having more laterality in my life?"

I used to get into arguments with people in the military, including my spouse, that were of the opinion that running was the be all and end all.  I'd look at my wife and roll my eyes when we'd workout together when she'd get mad at me because I still had weights to do after our run - she was actually posted to a ship, somewhere where you'd need extra working out...but no, running would give her all the strength she needed to do fire fighting, hauling some of the worst physical specimens on Earth up through hatches, etc ad nauseum.  I can roll my eyes so well now I can see my cerebellum...

Fact is, all the best running guides out there usually suggest at least a couple days a week of strength training to balance out the muscles that aren't getting worked properly and vice versa for weight training.  Balance is the key to most things in life.

I personally have no desire to ever run a marathon, but I respect that kind of grit.

What bothers me about marathoners (and runners in general) is how bloody cultish they are about it. They see it as the absolute apex of human exercise, and i dont know about you all but the "runner" patients I get are some of the most neurotic and unhealthy athletes I've ever seen. Constant MSK issues, anemia and ammenorrhea in females, no appreciable muscle mass.

I'm a former powerlifter, which can be extreme but on the opposite end of the spectrum. I definitely paid a toll for pounding my joints with huge weights over 10 years. The way I see it, sustained pursuit of extremes is neither conducive to longevity or general health. And there is some evidence to support this. To say otherwise is a lie extreme athletes sometimes tell themselves to avoid cognitive dissonance. 290-lb powerlifters on CPAPs do it and 130 lb marathoners with LVH do it too. 

Not passing moral judgment on these people. I get it, really I do. But I think you have to decide at some point "ok, am I going to pursue this to the detriment of my lifespan because it's really what makes me come alive, or am I going to dial it back and take more of a generalist approach, having more laterality in my life?"

I agree... Speaking of Cultish, Have you met a Crossfitter? [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

On another note about running, I use do run a lot but hurt my knee and ankle in the military 20 years ago. I started weightlifting and I'm getting in the best shape of my life in my mid 40's. I ran a 5k a few weeks ago (wife tricked me she's a runner lol) and finished in a dismal 39 minutes because the knee went stiff on me. I think my running days are pretty much over.

Anecdote: a friend of a friend was a runner. He would do 45 minutes to an hour a day running, drank green stuff and ate "properly" and was in great shape if you looked at him... Died of an MI 3 weeks ago.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

On 12/11/2017 at 9:15 PM, GetMeOuttaThisMess said:

And then I see tonight on the news about a guy who face planted on the pavement in cardiac arrest during the race. Trainer on site and DFR (Dallas Fire-Rescue) paramedic got him back. “I started running last year” and he’s older than me by the looks of it (older than dirt that is). Bet I know how much of a workup he got before starting an exercise routine. No hx CVD and plans to run it next year.

We had this happen last month in town.  Runner in a half-marathon got to the finish line and collapsed in cardiac arrest.  A couple of our ED docs who had also ran the race started resuscitation along with the EMS crew on standby.  Got ROSC back in the field, and the patient eventually went home with no ill-effects!

Oh yes, all I can say is thank Xenu that these people got their own gyms away from people. 

When I was training for something specific around 2006 or so, they would come in groups to your local gym and try to take over.  There was one group that decided I was done on a certain machine.  Their reasoning was that "they were Crossfitters", a term new to me at the time, and they have the right to "slap non-Crossfitters off the machines" whenever they deem necessary.   I issued an invitation to them to attempt this, which was declined.  

From that point forward, I made it my mission in life to get in the middle of their little group, camp one machine ahead of them, and get physically very close to them if I saw a group of them address a "non-Crossfitter".  That, and several conversations with gym management got them banned from my local LA Fitness.  :)  I heard a group of them actually got roughed up at a Gold's Gym over by the stadium.  

Extreme viewpoints of any genre are perfectly fine 'til you start bothering other folks.  Applies to everything.

Archived