Why Do People Do This to Themselves?

11 hours ago, GetMeOuttaThisMess said:

I’ve never heard of these folks.

There is probably a bunch of them doing a group swim towards you right now to enlighten/convert you....

2 words for these folks: frequent rhabdo....seriously, these folks do stupid stuff and don't take breaks or drink water. relays in the desert with mandatory push up, pull ups and sit ups every mile...wtaf?

if it were seal training they would at least drink water...

Fine line between hard and stupid - they jump over it on a daily basis.  When Cross Fit started being a thing in the Canadian Army, they started having a higher than usual rate of rhabdo because of people leading the training that hadn't a clue about simple things like physiology, biochemistry and pharmacology - not giving enough water breaks, telling people to eat Ibuprofen like smarties, etc.  Surgeon General's office had to come out with a military wide message regarding how the training was to be conducted...this is what happens when you get rid of the Physical Training and Recreation trade that had the actual experts in this stuff and let leadership with minimal training in running a fitness program (and who are more worried about how they look to superiors) take over.

Well, on the bright side, folks like that keep many of us gainfully employed.

SK

When I did Marine Corps Martial Arts Program to build relationships with my unit, I'm sure I had rhabdo. The fighting portion isn't that tough or great, but the work out is brutal. Like SK mentions, none of the ''instructors'' knew anything proper about rhabdo. Did it in Uganda, so the heat didn't help. 2 hours of crossfit type exercises every day, except as the medical officer I bowed out 2 days a week citing that if I went down the whole mission would have to be scrapped as the only medical officer. Every day involved legs. For 2 weeks I could not go from seated to standing or vice versa without collapsing. I had to put my hands on the bathroom stall doors and "spider man" my way up until my leg locked. Multiple others were collapsing during the workout every day.

I didn't think crossfit was healthy before, but after that, I knew it was dangerous. 

But I looked like a bad ass fight club member after those 6 weeks :)

20 hours ago, EMEDPA said:

There is probably a bunch of them doing a group swim towards you right now to enlighten/convert you....

2 words for these folks: frequent rhabdo....seriously, these folks do stupid stuff and don't take breaks or drink water. relays in the desert with mandatory push up, pull ups and sit ups every mile...wtaf?

if it were seal training they would at least drink water...

Point of parliamentary procedure!  They will never do swimming, because it doesn't look impressive to onlookers.  

"HYDRATE!!" 

I have some ex-in laws that are cult joiners, and they have eagerly adopted and bombed out of both Crossfit and one of the pyramid schemes.  I heard they are signing up for a national time-share RV vacation resort thing.  I'm waiting for the Scientology folks to find out about them. 

41 minutes ago, GetMeOuttaThisMess said:

No danger of them reaching me unless they swim into a fast food lane, a Mexican food restaurant, or my sofa.

food, restaurants in general, and sofas all being things crossfitters avoid like the plague, so I think you are ok :)

A funny rhabdo moment I remember was at my ER - 40 odd year old female, rotund, decided to start working out - did a hard 15minutes on the elliptical about 6 days previous and still couldn't walk.  Thought it was a case of wussyitis and was about to suggest just going home, heat and stretch and take things easy...but, because of stuff I'd seen in my previous life, said screw it, did a CK on them.  It was about 45000 - the test took 2 hours to run because they had to keep diluting the sample.  I admitted her.  The SP I was working with comes up to me later and tells me they wouldn't even have done the labs and just let them go...

SK

On 12/15/2017 at 1:31 PM, LT_Oneal_PAC said:

When I did Marine Corps Martial Arts Program to build relationships with my unit, I'm sure I had rhabdo. The fighting portion isn't that tough or great, but the work out is brutal. Like SK mentions, none of the ''instructors'' knew anything proper about rhabdo.

Back when I was a new PA, my kid brother called me after he'd done a few days of a hand-to-hand combat class at the NYPD academy.   Told me that he could barely move his arms or legs, and his urine looked like iced tea.  Proving why you should never diagnose family members over the phone, I told him to drink a ton of gatorade, take some motrin and suck it up.  

I'm on a night shift in the ED that night, and he calls and tells me that he's being admitted to the ICU in his local hospital.  CK's in the 100,000's, ALT/AST in the 1000's; says "I've got something called rhabdo-something"....

On 12/15/2017 at 4:49 PM, south said:

Point of parliamentary procedure!  They will never do swimming, because it doesn't look impressive to onlookers.  

"HYDRATE!!" 

I have some ex-in laws that are cult joiners, and they have eagerly adopted and bombed out of both Crossfit and one of the pyramid schemes.  I heard they are signing up for a national time-share RV vacation resort thing.  I'm waiting for the Scientology folks to find out about them. 

Tell your ex-in laws that I have $20 million I'm trying to get out of Nigeria. I only need their DOB, SSN and bank account numbers, and they can keep 20%...

On 12/10/2017 at 0:46 PM, sas5814 said:

Different strokes I suppose. I was in the Army for 20 years and hated running from day 1. When I retired in 96 I swore to never run or shave again. Still keeping that promise.

Running was the worst part of my service in the US Army . it destroyed my knees (running in combat boots on cobblestone streets in Germany produced meniscus tears) and my chance to become a PA in the Army. I've heard some runners claiming "a high" from running , while I recall stopping running was my high!!

12 minutes ago, d2305 said:

I remember taking salt pills before running.

I do for ruins of 50 miles or more. less than that you probably don't need unless in extreme conditions of high heat, etc. most folks have enough sodium stores to run at least a regular marathon. the real danger is pounding more fluids than your body needs. that is how you get  dilutional hyponatremia. if you are going to drink a ton, make sure you drink something with electrolytes in it. if you just drink water when you are thirsty, you will be fine.

• 7 months later...
I do for ruins of 50 miles or more. less than that you probably don't need unless in extreme conditions of high heat, etc. most folks have enough sodium stores to run at least a regular marathon. the real danger is pounding more fluids than your body needs. that is how you get  dilutional hyponatremia. if you are going to drink a ton, make sure you drink something with electrolytes in it. if you just drink water when you are thirsty, you will be fine.

50 miles or more??!? [emoji32] 

Ummm... I use a car for this type of thing... [emoji594][emoji57]

J/k, E. Wow good on you for doing that. [emoji106]

Re:crossfit... Check this out. Get yo ED's ready

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I love those videos!!

But, the girl in the green top who dropped the bar and broke the glass is actually an Olympian for olympic weightlifting, not a crossfitter.  Crossfit can be good, but to actually have shirts to give customers who get diagnosed with rhabdo as a reward...a bit ridiculous (google: "Uncle Rhabdo").

Archived