2017 Application

4 minutes ago, PAtience said:

That's terrible! I just received the "Dear first_name" email too, I thought that was really unprofessional on their part and kind of added salt to the wound of being rejected. Anyways, congratulations on your future interviews, that's awesome!!

At my first interviews FAQ session with first year students, they said to pay close attention to your communication with programs and the vibes you get from each program. Because if they are slow to respond, don't give you info you want, etc just imagine how they will be during clinical year and when you need help. That stuck with me and ultimately led to me turning down an interview. So I would take it more as an opportunity to attend a school that will see you as an individual and not just another number (not saying that UC Davis did that, just as an example!) Or maybe sends more personal emails back to you  

Anyway, good luck to you and your future endeavors! 

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yup got the rejection email around 5pm pst. But wait, not one, not two, three emails to tell me that I was rejected. Sigh. I guess they really didn't want me attending their school. 

I feel your pain @LeQuack. So much emotions going on here. 

The worst was the third one apologizing. I was like, did they mistakenly send the wrong email and in fact are sending a secondary application but alas it was a big fat no. :/

I literally just received 3 rejection emails from UC Davis in the last hour. The first one that greeted me off with, "Dear first_name,"; the second one stating "Dear Applicant," and the last stinger, apologizing for the first two sent in error, so I thought with high hopes that the rejection was a mistake, but it really ended up being the same rejection letter. What the??? I'm taking this as a blessing in disguise. However, I do wish everyone the best of luck on their journey. Let your heart guide you and go with your gut!

I do think it is kinda lame to send out an email with the "field feeder" still in the email; then follow that up with an impersonal "Dear applicant" response; and a third email to apologize for the first one. I am sure someone on the admin end of that heard an earful at least. I would hope it was an honest technical mistake by someone on the staff. There is no way to recover from that, and it seems that efforts only made things worse.

To those that got the horrible emails, Good luck!  I felt like I met some pretty amazing and motivated people on my interview day. You will get to where you should be on the timeline that it is intended.  It's not the end of the world, and I am sure you will catch on somewhere soon!

I got a supplemental application invite.  And congratulations to those that are doing supplementals, maybe we'll be classmates soon! 

i'm sure it was an honest mistake, but three consecutive emails was a little much. i'm just glad they came after i decided ucd's program wasn't a right fit for me.

for those of you who've accepted offers, i hope sacramento treats you well! it's a great city ??????

Yesterday I was invited to fill out the secondary application for UC Davis. I am so relieved that I have already accepted a seat in another class, because after my entire experience with Davis, they did nothing to make me want to entrust them with my training and education for becoming a PA. To all of you who got rejection email*s* yesterday, I hope you keep trying! You deserve better than UC Davis and I am sorry that they dealt with delivering such difficult news so unprofessionally. If anyone of you ever wants some help and guidance with applying/interviewing at other places, please reach out! I would be happy to help. Best of luck to everyone! 

I really hope that the way things are going is not a reflection of the quality of the program but rather just oversight by the admissions team. I wish there was more transparency. To anyone who went to the 1st year meet-ups, did you learn anything insightful from the current students that possibly swayed you one way or another? Good luck to everyone! 

On 11/3/2017 at 6:35 PM, Kobi29 said:

Got an invitation for the secondary app but with the hefty $105 fee and an acceptance someone else idk if I want to do it. This cycle has costed me so much money emoji24.png

PA school is going to cost you $115,000 in tuition alone. Its important to keep $105 in perspective of the remaining costs of attendance, especially when you are now competing for one of ~85 seats in a applicant pool of 240.

On 11/4/2017 at 7:36 AM, emilyPA said:

Does anyone know how many supplementals they send out? I'm really excited to have received one but curious as to what exactly this means 

If you attend the Candidate Visit day, then you are eligible to receive a Supplemental Application. No Candidate Visit Day, no Supplemental Application. ~240 applicants who attended the Candidate Visit Day are competing for ~85 seats.

Now is the time to write thoughtful (edited, revised, edited, revised) responses to the supplemental prompts.

On 11/4/2017 at 6:14 PM, jhnm2020 said:

I wish there was more transparency.

Just remember that the average California PA school receives 3000+ applications each year. Its just not practical for any admission staff to correspond with each applicant every time they email.

As applicants, it is your job to be proactive to learn everything you can about the program. The website is your first resource. Open house events, Candidate Visit days, the annual Pre-Health Conference are all opportunities for applicants to be on the Davis and medical center campuses. Current 2nd and 1st year student emails are listed on the School of Nursing website. Cast your net wide with some specific questions that you may have and I imagine that many of my fellow classmates would be very happy to provide you with some very thoughtful responses.

1 minute ago, PhaTran said:

What I heard from the Candidate Visit Day that only selected candidates from the Visit Day will receive invites for the secondary application. So properly the number of applicants will be less than 240?

Sure. Always possible that the applicant pool could be much smaller than 240. But 85:240 is still a decent ratio. In many ways, your future is in your hands. Dig into the School of Nursing website. Get the feel for what the School values and then write the best essays you can.

9 minutes ago, Confucius said:

For the current students and/or anyone who may know,

Does it mean that you are accepted in the program once you received an invitation for supplemental application? If not, how many people do they invite amongst the pool of applicants who had initial interview? Thanks!

It means you qualify out of all the applicants to fill out a supplemental application. Once submitted They will evaluate it further to see if you qualify for an interview for admissions to the pa program at ucD. 

Archived