ROLL CALL... Introductions (First Post)

Hello fellow Brothers and Sisters in arms:

I am a former Air Force medic (4N051) 1995-1999. I served in TX, AZ, and NM. I left active duty to attend the University of New Mexico for my Bachelor degree in medical technology (lab). I also re-entered active duty reserve from 2000-2004. Kirtland AFB NM. I started on a med/surg ward, then peds clinic then emergency department. I also worked ER all through school. I have just been accepted to the University of New England PA program starting in June 08. YES!!! I am new to this forum and have reaped a tremendous amount of information from all of your experiences. Thank you!!! I am considering reentering the AF as an officer PA. Both for the service and benefits. I have read the various posts on this specific idea and appreciate the differing view points. Thankfully, I have some idea what I'm getting into. I have been in contact with a recruiter and was told of the 2nd year scholarship. I only learned of the loan repayment from this forum. I'm almost considering the Army (GASP!!!) for their amazing training and $ benefits. Still a lot to consider. Again, thanks for this forum.

• 2 weeks later...
Gatorleg is currently stationed at Pope AFB as an IDMT and will be applying for one of the AF PA slots for 2009. Any assistance you all can provide will be very helpful.

Good to see another IDMT on the board. I think we may have already posted on the AF IDMT Assoc. Forum.

I think any IDMT has a great chance of being accepted into the IPAP (assuming a competitve package). My Education Office counselors told me to stop worrying about getting in, and start worrying about school :D

I'm a relatively new IDMT (2 years exp.) but have known this is what I want to do since day 1 of IDMT school. Came out of it with Top Grad and had done as much school as possible to be able to apply this year.

Good Luck on your application and I'll see you in 2009 ;)

You guys aren't the only ones, I was a former IDMT, graduated in 2002 and separated in May 07. Full-time student now, I have 3 more classes then I'm done with my pre-reqs. If all goes well I'm applying this fall for SJVC. Wish another ex-IDMT good luck. Dispense and Gatorleg keep up the good fight and dodge the SME bullet as long as possible. And Gatorleg it doesn't get much better then CSTARS, good luck on the IPAP apps.

Professional:

* Director of Operations of a Post-Production Facility in Los Angeles (6 yrs)

* EMT-B, NSP, OEC Ski Patroller at Mt. High & Big Bear Resorts (5 yrs)

* Graduated from Arizona State University (1996)

* Start PA Program at Des Moines University in June '08

* Sold my California Home, Moved to Iowa (2006)

* Currently work as an EMT/Firefighter in Des Moines

* My wife graduates from Nursing School this Summer

SPORTS:

* Phoenix Suns

* Washington Redskins

* Sun Devils

* Arizona D-Backs

* Roger Federer

Hobbies:

Snow Skiing, Backpacking/Camping, Running, Tennis, Basketball, Scuba, Graphic Design, DVD Authoring and Self-Proclaimed Gadgeteer

Why

While I was successful both professionally and personally, I had always felt the need to practice medicine on some level. This is why I had combined my two passions: Skiing and Medicine. Over the course of time, I had finally realized the power behind combining life's passions and it ultimately called me to reinvent who and what I was doing with my life.

Upon completing PA school, I plan on starting a Global Health Delivery Network of Physician Assistants. Its mission will be to promote health and prevent disease in human populations worldwide.

Thank you for having me on this forum. I just noticed that his is a military thread, sorry for the hijack as I only saw the title "ROLL CALL....Introductions (First Post).

• 1 month later...

[uSAF Enlisted Member hoping to get accepted next year for the 2010 IPAP course:

Current Occupation

Bioenvironmental Engineer/Industrial Hygienist--(former Security Forces HUAH!)

Why am I trying to become a PA?

I have always loved direct patient involvement. My wife is a nursing student and she has influenced me to pursue what I've wanted to do for soooo long; she is my biggest motivator (love you hunny!!!!) I really hope her instincts are correct. Only god will know whats best for me. I only have 2 more classes to finish and currently have a 3.8 gpa in school, ASVAB of 85, and firewall five EPRs, but the killer is no patient OJT. Luckily the local hospital is allowing me to shadow their PA's here next month and I am currently doing EMT ride-alongs on the weekend (even though I'm not an EMT). Unfortunatley, I am still awaiting on the approval to shadow the Base MTF PA's (Quality Services raised a flag and I work in the MTF, go figure)

Anyways, that's me for now. I am extremely proud of what each of you guys/girls have accomplished and hope to be in the same boots as you. You truly have a respectable position and I applaud you. I know it's not October, but "thank you for what you do."

Wish me luck and I'll keep my fingers crossed!

P.S. If you have any pointers, please let me know. Thanks!

Steve-O

• 2 weeks later...
Guest USAFSSgt

Hello all,

I figured I'd use the same format as everyone else to complete the introduction

Currently:

US Air Force

E-5/Staff Sergeant

USAF Security Forces

-Law Enforcement Desk Sergeant

-Confinement guard

6 years enlisted

I previously wanted to enlist as a med tech in early 2001. The wait to go to basic was a little less than a year. I didn't want to wait that long and asked what else was available. The recruiter then asked the question, "Do you want to be a cop?"

So I enlisted as a security forces and have done almost everything in the career field that has intrigued me. I always maintained a liking for the medical field throughout my career, becoming trained and certified to teach self-Aid and buddy care in the Air Force and becoming Combat life saver certified by the Army. I recently came back from a year long deployment in Afghanistan. I worked as closely as I could with our Air Force PA and his med techs to soak up as much knowledge as I could. They gave me plenty of study materials and trained me in inserting IVs, taking blood pressure and administering shots. It was a lot of fun and something I could do in between my position as a convoy commander . I also assisted the PA in the care of some local Afghan nationals; his primary mission there. I loved it and I finally settled on wanting to apply for the Military PA School. I’ve already completed my CCAF (Community College of the Air Force) and am about 4 classes away from finally submitting a package.

I’m always open to whatever advice anyone can give. Also, I always have questions that usually come up at ten o’clock at night. I’m looking forward to soaking up any info people in this forum can provide. Thanks

Air Power

Hello all,

Currently:

US Air Force

E-5/Staff Sergeant

USAF Security Forces

-Confinement guard

6 years enlisted

I previously wanted to enlist as a med tech in early 2001. The wait to go to basic was a little less than a year. I didn't want to wait that long and asked what else was available. The recruiter then asked the question, "Do you want to be a cop?"

So I enlisted as a security forces and have done almost everything in the career field that has intrigued me. I always maintained a liking for the medical field throughout my career, becoming trained and certified to teach self-Aid and buddy care in the Air Force and becoming Combat life saver certified by the Army. I recently came back from a year long deployment in Afghanistan. I worked as closely as I could with our Air Force PA and his med techs to soak up as much knowledge as I could. They gave me plenty of study materials and trained me in inserting IVs, taking blood pressure and administering shots. It was a lot of fun and something I could do in between my position as a convoy commander . I also assisted the PA in the care of some local Afghan nationals; his primary mission there. I loved it and I finally settled on wanting to apply for the Military PA School. I’ve already completed my CCAF (Community College of the Air Force) and am about 4 classes away from finally submitting a package.

I’m always open to whatever advice anyone can give. Also, I always have questions that usually come up at ten o’clock at night. I’m looking forward to soaking up any info people in this forum can provide. Thanks

Air Power

Very cool. I also was a Confinement Supervisor, SABC Instructor, and also assisting PA's. Good stuff and finish those classes. I have 1 class left to apply. According to Randolph all 37 slots were picked up this year, so no supplemental.

Edited by 2010PA

Hello all,

Currently:

US Air Force

E-5/Staff Sergeant

USAF Security Forces

-Confinement guard

6 years enlisted

Air Power

BTW...IF YOU NEED ANY HELP, JUST SEND ME A PM. ARE YOU LOOKING TO APPLY FOR THE 2010 CLASS?

Good luck on your future classes and PA application!

I was a AF slick sleeve 4N med tech for 10 years and have spent the last 2 years as an IDMT. I applied for IPAP Jan 08 and am just waiting for the word! Anyone know by chance the date that the board actually met or when results will be posted?

If you have any questions regarding your application just let me know! Also look up Mr Kevin Smith on global outlook at Randolph. He is the AF POC for IPAP. I could never get in touch with him by phone but he always answered my emails very promptly.

Good luck on your future classes and PA application!

I was a AF slick sleeve 4N med tech for 10 years and have spent the last 2 years as an IDMT. I applied for IPAP Jan 08 and am just waiting for the word! Anyone know by chance the date that the board actually met or when results will be posted?

If you have any questions regarding your application just let me know! Also look up Mr Kevin Smith on global outlook at Randolph. He is the AF POC for IPAP. I could never get in touch with him by phone but he always answered my emails very promptly.

I spoke with Kevin last week. They have made some changes for the upcoming board this year. A few things are a little different such as sending in transcripts early to help weed out packages that don't meet the requirements and recommendations to help improve gpa's that are low. The quality of the packages have gone down over the years. But here's some good news for you! All 37 slots were filled this year, so I wish you best of luck. You should be finding out with the next couple of weeks.

Hello to All, Proud to be part of the Team and Thank You for your Service!

19 yrs AD and counting (1989-Present)(E1-03)

91A, 91B, 91C, PA-C

Afghanistan OEF 07-present

Italy early 07. also 1989-91

FT Carson 4th ID 02-06

Iraq OIF (03-04, 05-06)

FT Bragg (91-02 too many times) 82nd Airborne, MEDDAC, 528th SOSB, SOMTB (SOMC not tabbed), Phase II PA school.

FT Sam Houston (89-92 in and out of trainning)

FT Benning 1989 Airborne School

FT Bliss 1989 Basic, 1997 phase II 91C

Time does not stop for anyone, so enjoy the moment and make it count!.:)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

usar 1988-1991 91a and 91c

army airborne course 1990

kansas army guard 1991-1995 medical section ambulance ncoic

1995 1997 pa class 95-1 fort sam and fort sill

1997-1998 kansas guard 1-127FA bn pa

1998-2003 tx guard 949 FSB Med co pa

2003-present Iowa Army nation guard pa

2003-2004 OIF 1 mosul /balad med co pa

2004-2006 baghdad pa

still in the iowa guard

highest ranking TEXAN in the Iowa Army Guard

Edited by jeffreycopeland

• 1 month later...

Hello, and thanks for having me!

USAR (91B/91C)

-396th CSH '97-'01

-915th FST '01-'03 (OIF '03)

WARNG (Student status)

-A. Co 1/19th SFG '03-'06

-Airborne Sep 04

-SFAS Jan 05 (SOOO COLLLLLDDD)

-SFQC MAY 05-DEC 05 (Not my bag)

OANG

-B 2/162 INF '06-'07

-C 141 (current)

University of Washington Medex class 41

BRING ON THE CLINICALS

Guest Nasaazi

Hello all,

I have recently come across the PA Forum website and I wish I knew about it when I started school. I should be studying for boards, but we all need breaks right? So here is my introduction...

Currently a 91WM6 Reservist E4, trained at Ft Sam and Walter Reed.

Wanted to provide more patient care then my LPN license allowed so decided to pursue the field.

Recent graduate of Malcolm X College PA program and will obtain MMS December 2008.

Currently studying for the PANCE to be taken SOON.

Commissioned as 1LT leaving for OBC and then off to Baumholder to realize my dream. Can't believe that this is happening :D

Any advice from any vets who have been in Germany, especially Baumholder?

Would greatly appreciate it. Proud to be one of many wearing the uniform.

Hello all,

I have recently come across the PA Forum website and I wish I knew about it when I started school. I should be studying for boards, but we all need breaks right? So here is my introduction...

Currently a 91WM6 Reservist E4, trained at Ft Sam and Walter Reed.

Wanted to provide more patient care then my LPN license allowed so decided to pursue the field.

Recent graduate of Malcolm X College PA program and will obtain MMS December 2008.

Currently studying for the PANCE to be taken SOON.

Commissioned as 1LT leaving for OBC and then off to Baumholder to realize my dream. Can't believe that this is happening :D

Any advice from any vets who have been in Germany, especially Baumholder?

Would greatly appreciate it. Proud to be one of many wearing the uniform.

Bring warm clothes and learn to speak German & French!