ROLL CALL... Introductions (First Post)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest superbike81

Hi, I'm Jason, new here. I guess you could say I'm pre-PA, but that all depends on the Air Force.

I'm currently an active duty E-5, stationed in Japan. I am completing a few more pre-requisites, and then I will be applying to the Air Force Physician's Assistant Program. This will let me out of my job now, and allow me to go to PA school at Ft Sam Houston in Texas.

I can't apply for another couple years, due to my return date from overseas. They say I can't curtail my DEROS (leave early) to go to school, so hopefully the timing works out.

I have good grades, a flawless military service record, won several "....of the year" awards, and am currently shadowing at Camp Lester Naval Hospital in Okinawa as well as volunteering with the Red Cross. I'm hoping all this will be enough to get me some quality letters of recommendation and get me into the program.

I just found this forum, and will be watching it and participating when I can.

Anyone else looking into this program, or have completed it before?

Guest certain

certain here. Got a couple of Prereqs to complete before sending in my IPAP package.

Stats:

Army Brat

Army Reserve - 31M Multichannel comms (2 yrs) - E1-E3

Marine Corps - 2673 SIGINT (11 yrs) - E3-E6

Air Force Reserve - 4N05 (3 yrs) 445th ASTS WPAFB, OH - E6

STNA - LifeCare Hospitals of Dayton (1-1/2 yrs)

Army - 13F Fire Support (2 yrs) - E6

Red Cross Volunteer in the ED at 121 CSH Yongsan Korea (when I can)

Got my foot back in the door. Working to get back into the medical field. Finally discovered what I want to do. Trying to become a PA as quickly as I can.

Any advice, guidance or mentoring tips would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

certain

certain here. Got a couple of Prereqs to complete before sending in my IPAP package.

Stats:

Army Brat

Got my foot back in the door. Working to get back into the medical field. Finally discovered what I want to do. Trying to become a PA as quickly as I can.

Cheers!

certain

Sure you don't want to join the Navy and then the Coast Guard 1st?

Just Kidding,

Welcome and good luck!

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest John18D

John

11B in 1/505 PIR 82nd ABN 2003-2005

18D (Special Forces Medic) 1SFG 2007-2009

I have a BA in Poli Sci so I need to go back to school and knock out my prereqs. Ouch!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Grognard
Lcpl Delgado

0351 Infantry

USMC Reserves

2/23 Marines, 4th MarDiv

Ramadi, Iraq OIF 9

Still in and more to come.....

Semper Fi, devil dawg (albeit a hard-charging reservist)

GySgt retired

Guest Grognard

Stats:

Army Brat

Cheers!

certain

Jeez, buddy. I interviewed a guy who had finished his under-grad in poly-sci and then went to culinary school so he could be a chef and then came knocking on the PA school door and we had serious doubts about his ability to focus on a specific career. You might take even more time explaining that meandering path during your interview.

Guest Grognard
I wanted NOOOO part of Nuke school- but after researching PA school.... I'm sure it wouldn't have been that bad, haha.

Hey! Ain't nuthin wrong with nukes! Just think of all the money I save on electricity when I read at night.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Music&Medicine

Casey here, I am an E-6 in the active duty AF. Worked in electronics my whole life. Have been wanting to get into medicine for a while. been going to school full time for past few years. I applied for IPAP this year and just found out that i was accepted. If you have good grades/SAT/asvab and good LOR's you will probably do well. they reduced the slots from 37 to 32 and extended the program to 29 months. My stats were SAT 1740, GPA 3.63, science GPA 4.0, asvab 95. i did about 16 hrs of shadowing from a PA that went through IPAP. The averages of the selects were in same order 1712, 3.57, 3.73 and 89. Hope this helps.

I am currently deployed to Afghan on a COP. only AF guy here. basically doing anything communications.

AFSC's 3D176 Airfield Sys, 2A071S Avionics

Stationed out of Maxwell AFB, AL

been in since 97

Volunteer at the VA hospital

I start IPAP August 2011.

Hi Everyone, my name is Ben and I am in the first Australian PA program being run by the University of Queensland. I am active duty, in the Royal Australian Navy. I joined in 1981 as a junior recruit (I was 15) and became a gunnery sailor for six years before transferring to medic. I worked in the surface fleet for some time until I trialled the introduction of medics into our submarine force in 1999. I served as part of the Australian medical team on the USNS Comfort in 1990-91 in Burn ICU. I was a weapons inspector in 1993 in Iraq with the UN. I was a sailor until Jan 2009 when I was offered a commission as a LEUT (03), but prior to that I was a Chief for 8 years.

There are a couple of Army Nurses on my program with me and an ex-Army Warrant Officer (he is an equivilant of a Master Chief). Best wishes

Hi Everyone, my name is Ben and I am in the first Australian PA program being run by the University of Queensland. I am active duty, in the Royal Australian Navy. I joined in 1981 as a junior recruit (I was 15) and became a gunnery sailor for six years before transferring to medic. I worked in the surface fleet for some time until I trialled the introduction of medics into our submarine force in 1999. I served as part of the Australian medical team on the USNS Comfort in 1990-91 in Burn ICU. I was a weapons inspector in 1993 in Iraq with the UN. I was a sailor until Jan 2009 when I was offered a commission as a LEUT (03), but prior to that I was a Chief for 8 years.

There are a couple of Army Nurses on my program with me and an ex-Army Warrant Officer (he is an equivilant of a Master Chief). Best wishes

Welcome Mate! I tip my hat to you and your Digger classmates and wish all you well in your PA career.

• 1 month later...
Guest Trowavo

Hello everyone, I'm A1C Vo, of the 202nd Red Horse Florida Air National Guard.

I have no medical experience right now, but thinking of becoming a CNA to get some. After I finish my bachelor hopefully I could get accepted into at a school in Florida and get a scholarship (preferly one from the AF but any would do).

• 4 weeks later...

SEMPER PARATUS also!

I am a pup!

joined in 88

small boat station E2-E3

corps school E3-E4

Med clinic Yorktown, Va E4-E5

honorable discharge 95 to attend PA school at East Carolina University, married Coastie in 95

two years into college decided it was time to have a baby and then another

supported my Coastie for 17 years, he just retired as MKC after 20 years

he said "You have followed, supported and sacrificed for me and our family all this time, NOW it's your turn! You ARE going to PA school!"

Can't argue with a Chief ;) so I am happily making application this year!

• 2 weeks later...
SEMPER PARATUS also!

I am a pup!

joined in 88

small boat station E2-E3

corps school E3-E4

Med clinic Yorktown, Va E4-E5

honorable discharge 95 to attend PA school at East Carolina University, married Coastie in 95

two years into college decided it was time to have a baby and then another

supported my Coastie for 17 years, he just retired as MKC after 20 years

he said "You have followed, supported and sacrificed for me and our family all this time, NOW it's your turn! You ARE going to PA school!"

Can't argue with a Chief ;) so I am happily making application this year!

Go to watch out for those senior NCO's (lol).

• 3 weeks later...