ROLL CALL... Introductions (First Post)

Sorry to disagree MSgt, I got out at 14 - I would be eligible for retirement this year. I still believe it was the right move! I am so much farther along in my career today than if I had stayed in. I not only doubled my salary the minute I left the army, I have not missed another minute of my daughters life! (I missed half of her first 9 yrs). It was the best move I ever made!

Me too! I bailed at 14 years to attend civilian PA school. I know that I am better off having left AD. My peers who stayed were passed over for the Army PA school and or shipped off to Panama and the Gulf their last year prior to retirement. I could not have paid for two kids in college and my mortgage if I'd stayed. One size fits all doesn't! Remember "Be all you can be'? I did and it been good for my family.

1996- USAF Medical Service Tech School, SAFB (distinguished grad)

1997- Phase II-Clinical Rotations, DMAFB

1998- 6 month Critical Care/EM Rotations, MGMC

1998- C-141/C-130/C-21/KC-135 Aeromed Evac (Strategic) Ground School,AAFB - Aircrew Wings

flew on missions around every continent except Aussie land

1998- Aeromed Evac (Tactical) Ground School, Brooks AFB (Adjunct instructor for the AW)

1999- Tactical Aerovac Field/SERE Trx (survival training junkie)

2000-02- USAF NREMT Site Code NCOIC/Course Coordinator, Primary Instructor, NREMT Instructor Trainer for USAF, USAFR, ANG/ Military Training Network AHA CPR-Instructor Trainer/ACLS Instructor, LAFB (KAFB)---DMRTI Adjunct Medical Instuctor, Ft. Sam Houston, Camp Bullis (corpsman and combat medics)

2002-04 Unit Training Manager/Medical Training Manager/SABC Base Training Manager/Readiness NCO, Lajes AB Azores

2004-now- Aerospace Medical Technician, E-6 (IMA) assigned to an AD MDG

Hello all, glad to find this forum. Above is a summary of what a "weekend warrior" did for the last 10 years in the USAF. I am one of those that signed up to be a part timer and found out in basic that I shoulda gone all the way (loved aeromedevac). So I volunteered to teach everything in my career field and eventually was doing 3 weeks AD/month, working in a civilian Level-1 Trauma Center ER/PICU/MICU and going to school at the same time (not recommended for those who want a life.) I will be graduating with a blended Exercise Physiology (Science)/Biology Degree and am looking forward to PA School apps next year. Hats off to all the Vets and all the sacrifices they have made!

I'm an 18D from 5th Group, currently on my fourth deployment in Iraq and I am submitting my packet next month for the new RCC that begins in '08. I saw the latest IPAP selection list and noticed only four 18 series were selected. Does anyone know if there are reasons why not many 18 series are selected each year?

I'm an 18D from 5th Group, currently on my fourth deployment in Iraq and I am submitting my packet next month for the new RCC that begins in '08. I saw the latest IPAP selection list and noticed only four 18 series were selected. Does anyone know if there are reasons why not many 18 series are selected each year?

The TIS limits quite a number of you guys from being able to apply. CAPT Jones, the IPAP man, is who I spoke to about this. Perhaps with the new 18X that were able to go straight to selection there might be an increase in 18D's applying. Unfortunately right now the TIS is what's keeping you guys out.

Guest Infernus

Active duty Army Medic, 91W (or 68W), SFC.

SETAF Inf Bde

2-12 CAV

LRMC

Currently Student at IPAP, and president of the IPASS (Student Society)

Is this good or do I also have to say what my favorite color is?

The TIS limits quite a number of you guys from being able to apply. CAPT Jones, the IPAP man, is who I spoke to about this. Perhaps with the new 18X that were able to go straight to selection there might be an increase in 18D's applying. Unfortunately right now the TIS is what's keeping you guys out.

I have 8 years in now and by the time I get through IPAP I will have around 9 years to serve as a PA. The selection board looks at this unfavorably? How many years do the want each PA to serve?

Guest tmarkie
I have 8 years in now and by the time I get through IPAP I will have around 9 years to serve as a PA. The selection board looks at this unfavorably? How many years do the want each PA to serve?

You need to serve at least 10 years as an Officer to be able to retire as one. When I went through (right after they started commissioning us as 0-1 instead of W01, but before the tri-service program) they allowed those of us with greater TIS to sign a waver stating if we retired at 20 we would get our retirement at our highest enlisted grade until we reached the 10 year mark, then it would go to the highest officer grade held. I don't believe they are allowing wavers any longer but I would check with branch to get the current scoop. Good luck, I hope you get in - it's guys like you that have made the Army PA program strong.

They look at the TIS when you apply. The max is 8 years. The service wants their pound of flesh from you. It's apparently not cost effective to have those with over 8 years go thru IPAP. The only regulation that the program seems to stick to is the TIS. Basically guys who've gone thru all you've gone thru will undoubtedly have close to or over the TIS restriction. This is why not too many who are academically qualified are qualified to apply. If you're in, then great. Bust it out. I would recommend that you influence the junior 18D's to look ahead to life outside the military and get those you can to apply. Unfortunately too many of us, military, begin to think about life outside the military a few years before we get out. By that time we're no longer qualified for alot the military has to offer. So out we go with our 1/2 base pay pension hoping for a job.

Anyhow...good luck and welcome aboard.

BTW...don't be too sad after this Saturday.....Go Navy!

There used to be a rumor that there was a limit on the number of 18D's that could be accepted due to concerns about taking too many away from SF-but I am sure that this is just that-a rumor.

Guest Redogldr

Not a rumor. The IPAP can choose AD Deltas all day but its the USASOC Surgeons office who makes the final call. Seen it first hand. 99.9% of SF medics that get in are reserve component or guard. Truth be told John333, you might get selected but your command will have to let you go. Also, current trends dictate GPA / formal college hrs over ANY previous medical time. Sad but true. This is not the same school that produced the PAs you have worked with. Good Luck If your in the Striker area we can talk.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Oops- answered a post here without introducing myself first:eek:

I'm married to the military. Husband is active duty AF. Currently stationed at scenic WrightPatt. 10.5 years in- 9.5+ to go.

Guest jwyoung

going on 7 years now

31U (Signal Support System Spec)

Ft. Gordon

2-6 Infantry (Mech) Baumholder, Germany

*deployed in 2003 to Baghdad, Iraq

555 Combat Engineer Group Ft Lewis, Wa

Los Alamitos, Ca (reserve)

Sherman Oaks, Ca (reserve)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest JONA1976

SSG, SF Medic (18D) - Active Duty

2nd MOS 11B

Moving on to National Guard and civilian PA schooling.

Also wanted to say that this site is an unbelievable wealth of knowledge. If it's regarding the PA profession, and you can't find it here - then it probably doesn't exist.

Thank you for such a great site!!

Copenhagen Detox

11B3V

former active duty: A Co 1/75, 124 MI LRSD, 522 MI LRSD, Class 4-92

Now currently serving in the Oklahoma National Guard, 45th INF BDE (Sep).

2003-2004 PSD, OEF.

I had a long break in sevice from active duty to my current NG status. I joined the Guard after 9/11 to help out in any way that the Army saw fit. My first contact with a PA was the battalion PA at 1/75, Doc Donovan. A class act all the way around. I have worked in the mental health field for a number years here in Oklahoma and just received my masters degree in marriage & family therapy. The more I experience in the mental health field, the more that I find myself drawn to the psychiatry component of mental health & biological factors contributing to mental illness. With that being said, I am in the initial phase of getting the pre-reqs out of the way for PA school. I feel fortunate to have found this site from a web-search. I hope to learn as much as I can throughout the pre-req/application process.

Cope

USAF Medic here...92-96

Got my BA in Political Science in 1998. Have been working for the RNC ever since. I'm tired of politics. So after talking to my wife and making a life changing decision. I have decided to become a PA. I dealt with alot of PA's in the USAF and I have always wanted to become a PA. So I guess now is the time. I'm currently working on my pre-reqs. I have been reading the site and absolutely love it!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest mddennis

Army Vetern 91B20 (guess I was 91W when I left)

10yrs 4months 27 days (so says my dd214)

Baumholder 4-12 inf medic

Ft Lewis 3rd bde armor medic

Landstuhl ER / Ambulance Secion NCOIC / Medic

Army Recruiter: longest 3.5 years of my life.:eek:

Civilian PA Student, University California - Davis.

All those still on active duty / IPAP, stay motivated and more importantly stay safe.

ps: this is a great thread...good idea.