2016-2017 Application Thread

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi - current 1st year student here. They interview roughly about 10 people a day for 4 days a week, for a total of 6 weeks in the fall. So - they interview a ballpark total around 240 applicants, give or take a dozen or more people as needed. That number is fairly consistent year to year. Overall, last year, there were about 3,000 applicants for the 90 available spots in the Class of 2018.

Anyone know how many people will be at each interview session?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As a first year student, I can tell you this claim is not accurate. Every Forum has someone like Norm from Cheers in that sense. You've been warned. These forums are great for clear cut "how did it happen for you" kinds of questions or application related minutiae and timing, as well as moral support. But not for big picture Admissions stuff.

Duke is well known amongst Admissions Circles for having a very holistic set of Admissions criteria. They look at the whole student. Do they want students who excel academically, including on the GRE? Of course they do. They want students who are capable of doing the work. And I'll be the first to tell you – it's a lot of work. Sometimes it's really tough. But this place is super supportive of your goals. It's a special place to learn medicine.

Although Duke likes top performers, there are also some people who scored below average on the GRE but showed excellence in other ways. Duke is not your typical cookie cutter, numerical cut-off school. For example, I know of a student that had a undergrad CumGPA that just barely scraped in at a 3.0, but then that person took post-bac classes while working full time, aced those, and did well on the GRE when they were older. I know of another student that didn't do super well on the GRE, but they had some amazing background experiences that really enrich the overall quality of our class. Our class is incredibly well-rounded. Duke does a spectacular job making the class really rich in the tapestry of its shared life experiences and backgrounds.

You just gotta study and retake it, pal. Many competitive schools, including duke I think, have a 300 cutoff score. So unfortunately they may filter your app out of consideration. If you're looking for good GRE study materials, the Manhattan set of 8 books plus 1000 vocab flash cards did me wonders. I beasted my GREs. But always understand it's just one component of your app .. I haven't even been invited to duke, at least not yet. Good luck.

I'm a current first year student and last year they had about 10 at each session :) good luck to everyone and I look forward to meeting some of you at your interviews!

I just wanted to add that a lot of our class was interviewed in January (including myself), so just because you didn't get an early interview invite, doesn't mean you don't have a chance! Good luck and let me know if you have questions.

Agreed – I was interviewed in January too. I turned in my Application pretty late too.

Guest GoyaHoya69

As a first year student, I can tell you this claim is not accurate. Every Forum has someone like Norm from Cheers in that sense. You've been warned. These forums are great for clear cut "how did it happen for you" kinds of questions or application related minutiae and timing, as well as moral support. But not for big picture Admissions stuff.

Duke is well known amongst Admissions Circles for having a very holistic set of Admissions criteria. They look at the whole student. Do they want students who excel academically, including on the GRE? Of course they do. They want students who are capable of doing the work. And I'll be the first to tell you – it's a lot of work. Sometimes it's really tough. But this place is super supportive of your goals. It's a special place to learn medicine.

Although Duke likes top performers, there are also some people who scored below average on the GRE but showed excellence in other ways. Duke is not your typical cookie cutter, numerical cut-off school. For example, I know of a student that had a undergrad CumGPA that just barely scraped in at a 3.0, but then that person took post-bac classes while working full time, aced those, and did well on the GRE when they were older. I know of another student that didn't do super well on the GRE, but they had some amazing background experiences that really enrich the overall quality of our class. Our class is incredibly well-rounded. Duke does a spectacular job making the class really rich in the tapestry of its shared life experiences and backgrounds.

That's why I used "I think" and "may" in my post. Wasn't posting definitive admissions information.

I understand. But when you tell another user "you just gotta study and re-take it", it kind of sounds like you are doling out advice. I'm not criticizing you as a person. Just reminding other nervous applicants not to freak out based on the words of another nervous applicant.

Re-taking an exam is the other person's decision, and you're not privy to what a particular school does behind closed doors.

I bring this up because the person I know with the lower GRE score is an amazing addition to our class. I'm glad that person is part of our group. Hope that makes sense!

That's why I used "I think" and "may" in my post. Wasn't posting definitive admissions information.

Sent via Tapatalk on iOS

Guest GoyaHoya69

I understand. But when you tell another user "you just gotta study and re-take it", it kind of sounds like you are doling out advice. I'm not criticizing you as a person. Just reminding other nervous applicants not to freak out based on the words of another nervous applicant.

Re-taking an exam is the other person's decision, and you're not privy to what a particular school does behind closed doors.

I bring this up because the person I know with the lower GRE score is an amazing addition to our class. I'm glad that person is part of our group. Hope that makes sense!

The poster I was responding to said something to the effect of "I can't break 300, any advice?" Clearly the best advice to break 300 would be to take the GRE again, not only for duke but also for other schools that require GRE (some of which i've heard do actually filter by certain stats, GRE being one of them). I don't think anyone would disagree that having a minimum 300 GRE score opens up more potential PA schools to apply to. I even offered up books that helped me prepare for it. But whatevs. Best of luck to that poster, whichever PA school s/he ends up at.

"But when you tell another user "you just gotta study and re-take it", it kind of sounds like you are doling out advice."

To be fair, Futurepanc was specifically asking for advice when s/he said "any advice?"

I don't think a single honest person would say "Eh, that's no big deal. Never mind Duke being the most competitive program in the US; I'm sure you're fine, don't sweat it." No, an honest person would say "Hmm. Duke looks at things holistically BUT that's a pretty low score so you might want to think about retaking it."

My score was well above 315, I have a 4.0 in all my prerequisites, and over 20,000 hours of direct patient care. And you know what feedback I received from Duke after my interview?

"Retake the GRE."

I appreciate your insight, especially from your current position, but to deny that a better score would help this applicant is a little unrealistic.

1) The current score might not hurt.

2) A better one would certainly help.

I think we can all agree that those are two different things.

What a School says and what a random Applicant on a Forum says are two entirely different things.

I have no doubt that the advice given was doled out with the best intentions. But at the end of the day, an Applicant doesn't know what the School's AdCom thinks. As a current student that has spoken with key Faculty about the Admissions process here, I have a fairly informed idea of how things work.

Saying that a higher score is the end-all paints an incomplete picture. There's a lot more involved. At a school as holistic about Admissions as Duke, it's better to go to the horse's mouth than make decisions based on what a random Applicant on a Forum says.

"But when you tell another user "you just gotta study and re-take it", it kind of sounds like you are doling out advice."

To be fair, Futurepanc was specifically asking for advice when s/he said "any advice?"

I don't think a single honest person would say "Eh, that's no big deal. Never mind Duke being the most competitive program in the US; I'm sure you're fine, don't sweat it." No, an honest person would say "Hmm. Duke looks at things holistically BUT that's a pretty low score so you might want to think about retaking it."

My score was well above 315, I have a 4.0 in all my prerequisites, and over 20,000 hours of direct patient care. And you know what feedback I received from Duke after my interview?

"Retake the GRE."

I appreciate your insight, especially from your current position, but to deny that a better score would help this applicant is a little unrealistic.

What a School says and what a random Applicant on a Forum says are two entirely different things.

I have no doubt that the advice given was doled out with the best intentions. But at the end of the day, an Applicant doesn't know what the School's AdCom thinks. As a current student that has spoken with key Faculty about the Admissions process here, I have a fairly informed idea of how things work.

Saying that a higher score is the end-all paints an incomplete picture. There's a lot more involved. At a school as holistic about Admissions as Duke, it's better to go to the horse's mouth than make decisions based on what a random Applicant on a Forum says.

So what is your suggestion when people on these boards specifically ask other people on these boards for advice?

So, did the actual interviewer ask you to retake the GRE? By your post I was not quite sure. 

"Retake the GRE."

So, did the actual interviewer ask you to retake the GRE? By your post I was not quite sure.

No, I received the feedback *after* the interview.

At Duke, if you interview but aren't accepted they will give you a date range when you can call and make an appointment with someone to go over your application and give you advice for areas to improve. She had my complete application and notes from the interviewers so she could make relevant/personalized suggestions.

Received a rejection email from them today. Still lucky they even took a look at my application at all!

Good luck to everyone invited for interviews!

When did you submit your application?

I'm sorry to hear you got a rejection e-mail :((((( Last I heard from them was my "under review" on September 30th... 

Hopefully you will get other interviews at other schools!!

Good luck to you!!!

My application went "under review" on August 19, but I haven't heard anything since then. Not sure what to think. Is there still hope?

I got the same email on Aug 19th and haven't heard anything yet either. I think there still is hope  because I know people that have received the same email later than us and got a rejection already (about a week ago). My fingers are still crossed! Good Luck!

Archived