WHOA!!!Check this out

I came across this article in today's Army Times online.

White House seeks to get vets health-care jobs

By Andrew Tilghman - Staff writer

Posted : Tuesday Oct 25, 2011 11:09:16 EDT

The White House has launched an effort to help out-of-work veterans find health-care jobs after returning to the civilian world.

That effort will include trying to get local community health care centers to hire 8,000 veterans — roughly one per health center nationwide — during the next several years. Those federally funded health centers will also have to start reporting on their veterans hiring practices, White House officials said.

Another related health-care job initiative aims to help veterans with military medical experience get training as physician’s assistants. Specifically, the White House said it will give priority in federal grant awards to colleges and universities that help train veterans for physician’s assistant careers.

The White House announced the efforts Tuesday as part of President Obama’s broader mission to reduce veterans’ unemployment, which is especially high among the youngest veterans who have served in Iraq and Afghanistan.

The focus of Tuesday’s new initiatives is to help veterans from enlisted medical career fields use those skills to get similar jobs in the civilian sector.

“Military medics gain invaluable health care training and experience on the battlefield and it’s important for us to help them find ways to put those skills to use when they return home,” said Mary Wakefield of the federal Health Resources and Services Administration during a conference call with reporters Tuesday.

it means now is the time for military medics to apply to pa school in huge numbers and make a dent in the current trend of admitting candy strippers to pa school....

Do you think the "Academics" are ready for a surge of

strong willed proven adult life experience PA students who won't drink the "Kool-Aid"?

strong willed proven adult life experience PA students who won't drink the "Kool-Aid"?

not the program I graduated from......

I was more thinking that the community health clinics would have to report veteran hiring.... ;-) puts me above all non x-military types.....

not the program I graduated from......

I was more thinking that the community health clinics would have to report veteran hiring.... ;-) puts me above all non x-military types.....

Many of the Community Health Clinics serve a lot of Kool Aid while singing Kumbaya too. I thrills me that the program will move vets higher up in the selection process and those programs that don't bring more on board will take a hit in the wallet!!! My alma mater will remain in the forefront of having experienced adult PA students!!!!

Can't speak for all the "Academics" nor would I even think I could. But CA I am on this in my little part of the brave new PA world.

Still standing the wall. lol

Les

This was not "news" to me (think I saw a HRSA grant announcement about this a while back) but let me just say: Hallelujah and Amen! Spent a good hour on the phone today with a longtime family friend who was worried she picked the wrong PA program since most of her class is 22 with zero hours HCE and questions are not tolerated...unfortunately I think she did pick the wrong program but that's not very helpful to her. I have also taught with folks who find those with previous life experience/HCE/time on earth "more difficult to teach". Sigh. Some folks hate to be challenged. How mundane their lives must be.

• Administrator
Do you think the "Academics" are ready for a surge of strong willed proven adult life experience PA students who won't drink the "Kool-Aid"?

Do not underestimate the power of the federal government to "go big or go home". Anyone remember helmet laws and 55 MPH speed limits?

Pro veteran, plus pro affordable health care... It's entirely possible that this administration could pull a game changer in veteran PA placement, and that the Republicans might not care to stop it.

Can't speak for all the "Academics" nor would I even think I could. But CA I am on this in my little part of the brave new PA world.

Still standing the wall. lol

Les

Les ! I think you those of whom I am speaking about.......and those that I am not speaking of ,along with where you and those of your ilk stand!

Les ! I think you those of whom I am speaking about.......and those that I am not speaking of ,along with where you and those of your ilk stand!

I'll know more after next week's PAEA meeting. I think programs can reserve seats for qualified applicants (under certain conditions) if it does not conflict with ARC-PA standards. There could be a catch 22. I think the BOP cut a deal with some programs years ago but dont remember the particulars.

• 2 months later...

The military itself has really ramped up it's effort to improve compenstion for PAs and recruit better clinicians. Admittedly the Navy has been the slowest to come forward but nonetheless I anticipate retention will not be affected as much as it would have been prior to the latest instruction change.

Any thoughts on coming back Navy? Most of us only obligated to serve 3 years and then take it year by year. Being an Officer is not like enlisting. As long as you have no obligation you can request a release from AD. Most do not know this.

Take a look at this link: http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/corres/pdf/DTM-09-009.pdf

There are now fellowship opportunities in Ortho and EM with more options coming in the furture.

Yes, you will deploy. No, I cannot tell you how soon after coming on AD. But I can tell you that the exeperience I gained leading, yes leading, a trauma team in a remote environment has been invaluable.

Age may be a factor but there is a waiver for almost everything nowadays and every year of AD will subtract from the eligibility limit.

Just food for thought on "additional funding"...

-Navy PA-C

@ Navy PA-C:

Hey man. Thanks for responding. Yeah, I was an enlisted marine from 92-96 (reserve side), and then was commissioned line officer from 2000-2008. Believe me, I loved the officer side of the house. I also loved flying, but put it by the wayside. I'm older than most PA students. Missing the birth of my second son was a real bummer and we were deployed more than the standard 6 months. I flew P-3 Orions and was away quite a bit between surges and deployments. Then they IA's came :). Augmenting the army as a winged aviator to play Battaliion EWO. So, as a family unit, we decided that I had done my part and playing dad was more important. I was hoping some of the VA money would free up and maybe one of these programs they used to have might help out. I know they used to payback loans in exchange for sticking with them. Funny part is, they're my first choice of work even without the funding. I'd like to do ortho and help some of the guys coming home with IED injuries, etc. Believe me, my heart is still there, I just don't have the resources personally to still wear a uniform. Additionally, my wife is an exec for a local company and loves her job. Now, if the navy had a gig for full time reserve PA's here in my area (with limited deployments and NO IA's) , I'd be all over it. Just ain't moving again :).

So With this new bill does this me I should probably look into trying to go to PA school on the civilian side instead of trying to go through IPAP? Also, given I have been in a While and really am burnt out from all my deployments I am actually in the middle of # 3 in the last 4 years right now (im sitting in a tent in Afghanistan posting this). I have been married for three and barely know what my wife looks like in person anymore and I dont want to lose her because she means more to me then the military does, we have know each other since before the military. So, I was wondering should I go to another service like the coast guard where I will have the option to not deploy anymore and try to go to IPAP and become a PA that way? Or should I just get out and go to a civilian program and use my post 9/11 GI bil? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Navy PA-

Just out of curiosity, I read the instruction. It almost looks like you aren't eligible for AB if you take HPSP- or until you complete the time you owe through HPSP. See 1.a.(4).

Or can you get both? Can you clarify here?

Well good to "meet" you navyfly. You have def been around then!

Yes, I read it the same and have been advised by BUMED that if you come in under HPSP that is an educational commitment (ADSO) therefore you cannot get the AB. You can get the IP though and just have to agree to a contract with at least (1) year of retention language.

Most direct accessions take the (3) year ADSO although there is no minimum requirement or incentive to sign up for a longer contract. If you agree to overseas assignment then you have to agree to a (3) year contract with dependents. Otherwise the Navy is still doing 2 year orders overeseas for unaccompanied.

The next time you "re-up" after the initial AB you can sign a multi-year contract for the RB and the pay-out will be based on number of years. Currently it is $20K/year for a 4 year contract. Again IP is also authorized at $5K/ year.

I know this is all academic though since you have the desire to see your family on a regular basis. You have done your time and served with honor so I wish you the best in your future endeavors.

-Navy PA-C

Good news. These guys deserve a chance if they can do the science. I do hope programs don't dumb down the admission process though. We need both life tested and smart people in the field.

p.s. Before anyone freaks out at my "dumb down" comment just know I am a USAF Desert-Storm vet., and I went to PA school after my service so I know of what I speak :)

So With this new bill does this me I should probably look into trying to go to PA school on the civilian side instead of trying to go through IPAP? Also, given I have been in a While and really am burnt out from all my deployments I am actually in the middle of # 3 in the last 4 years right now (im sitting in a tent in Afghanistan posting this). I have been married for three and barely know what my wife looks like in person anymore and I dont want to lose her because she means more to me then the military does, we have know each other since before the military. So, I was wondering should I go to another service like the coast guard where I will have the option to not deploy anymore and try to go to IPAP and become a PA that way? Or should I just get out and go to a civilian program and use my post 9/11 GI bil? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

I was on the Navy HPSP scholarship (one of the first!) so I was commissioned as a reserve officer from the enlisted ranks and attended a civilian PA program. I am sure that some of the IPAPers here can give you good advice though. GL.

-Navy PA-C

Archived