To Date or Not To Date

Recently, I discovered on FB that one of my PA friend is dating someone.  Comes to find out that the person she is dating is also working in the same section of the clinic.  I expressed concern that this may be considered "weird/unprofessional/can be seen as favoritism.  Her defense was that it was ok because 1) they have separate bosses, 2) Cleared it with HR/the company, and they are of separate entities (she's a PA, her female lover is admin/checks people in).  When I expressed concern that it may backfire on her as people may be vindictive and allege favoritism even if there isn't any, she relayed back that the staff are all supportive.  I can only foresee bad things coming of this.  What say you?  I didn't think dating anyone in the same company was even okay, let alone the same department...

I couldn't care less what my friend does. The reason I ask is because I know of the exact scenario with another PA and MA. PA was fired for the relationship, and is now under investigation by the State medical board for allegations of "Unprofessional Conduct." Yeah, she's a little stressed out by the investigation, to say the least and the investigation hasn't even built momentum yet.

You have been a friend and given advice. Can lead a horse to water - etc etc as the saying goes.

Let them go. It will be awkward if their relationship doesn't last but you can't protect her from that - no one can.

Live and let live.

P.S. For what it is worth - I hate Facebook and don't do it or LinkedIn or any type of social media - it sets up comparisons of other people's lives and is TMI most of the time. 

Wish them the best and --- in the annoying immortal words of Frozen - Let It Go.

Lorda Mercy - for clarification sake, this is a close friend of mine.  We speak all the time - sharing and catching up.  If my post appears to look as if I saw this on FB and confronted her about it, then that's not the case.  She approached me.  I just happen to see it on FB, first.  I shared my concern and that was the end of it.  Never spoke about it again - this was a month ago.  I just find it interesting that 2 different people went through the same scenario - yet one is supported and the other is reprimanded.  The one being reprimanded was handed a letter putting her on notice for an investigation.  Unprofessional Conduct is somewhat vague (we looked up the coding) and that had me thinking how people define and view unprofessionalism.  I just thought that dating someone in the workplace was a big no-no, is all.  But from the posts, apparently, it's ok.  Just wanted to get a feel on how people view "Unprofessionalism."  

I couldn't care less what my friend does. The reason I ask is because I know of the exact scenario with another PA and MA. PA was fired for the relationship, and is now under investigation by the State medical board for allegations of "Unprofessional Conduct." Yeah, she's a little stressed out by the investigation, to say the least and the investigation hasn't even built momentum yet.

This is a bit extreme. I'd bet that there's more to the story or that someone was out to get her.

These kinds of things happen all the time without issue.

Word for saying COULDN'T care less instead of COULD care less. Why no one understands the difference is one of life's great mysteries.

Recently, I discovered on FB that one of my PA friend is dating someone.  Comes to find out that the person she is dating is also working in the same section of the clinic.  I expressed concern that this may be considered "weird/unprofessional/can be seen as favoritism.  Her defense was that it was ok because 1) they have separate bosses, 2) Cleared it with HR/the company, and they are of separate entities (she's a PA, her female lover is admin/checks people in).  When I expressed concern that it may backfire on her as people may be vindictive and allege favoritism even if there isn't any, she relayed back that the staff are all supportive.  I can only foresee bad things coming of this.  What say you?  I didn't think dating anyone in the same company was even okay, let alone the same department...

Lorda Mercy - for clarification sake, this is a close friend of mine.  We speak all the time - sharing and catching up.  If my post appears to look as if I saw this on FB and confronted her about it, then that's not the case.  She approached me.  I just happen to see it on FB, first.  I shared my concern and that was the end of it.  Never spoke about it again - this was a month ago.  I just find it interesting that 2 different people went through the same scenario - yet one is supported and the other is reprimanded.  The one being reprimanded was handed a letter putting her on notice for an investigation.  Unprofessional Conduct is somewhat vague (we looked up the coding) and that had me thinking how people define and view unprofessionalism.  I just thought that dating someone in the workplace was a big no-no, is all.  But from the posts, apparently, it's ok.  Just wanted to get a feel on how people view "Unprofessionalism."  

you need to get a job where you're kept a bit more busy. cheepers creepers.....

Been married to the chick who was working in the lab at the hospital, for going on twenty years. Very few coworkers, and none of the patients, knew we were even dating.

Archived