Why do we use pseudonyms when we post?

• Administrator

Disclosures of real names are welcome but not required.  If you don't want programs to know who you are, then you can try and conceal your online identity.  If you want to make sure the cases you post have that much more security for the identify of your patients' being reverse engineered by concealing your own identity, go for it.

Be aware, however, that if you disclose your name and someone doesn't like what you post, they can contact your employer, school, or whatnot and complain about you.  Some places would take that as seriously as a patient complaint, which is silly, but don't pretend it can't happen.

Despite my pseudonym, someone took exception to some advice I gave about interviewing at my University ("The hotels closest to the campus itself interpret 'non smoking' to mean 'room not currently on fire'; you'd be better off staying a few miles to the east" is the only thing I said that was at all controversial) and complained to my academic director, and I was easily identified and talked to about how I should conduct myself online.  It wasn't an adversarial conversation, but more of a "well, if someone thought it wasn't funny, then you're not helping us out here by portraying the program as open and inviting" discussion.

Mind you, that was an "informal counseling session" according to the student discipline handbook, which means someone who said they wanted to be a PA student and went through the interview process for the year behind mine, decided that they wanted to try and ruin my career as a PA just because they didn't like how I flippantly addressed a topic.  It's basic logic: if you want to fix a person, talk to the person himself.  If you want to fire a person, talk to his boss.  If you want to expel a person, talk to his program director.

So yeah, pseudonyms are welcome here.  So are real names.

I do not identify myself for fear that someone will take a screenshot and post it to Facebook or LinkedIn or something else - I don't participate in any social media sites.

I like the anonymity because I can be myself and say what I believe, not what corporate medicine believes.

Teachers have been fired for posting a decades old picture of them drunk in college on Facebook.

WHY would I open myself to undue scrutiny and potential backlash? - which I think is ridiculous…..

So, I have my screen name and no picture posted and haven't listed my city of origin and only give out select personal information because NOTHING is sacred on the internet.

I have enjoyed this forum and would like to continue to have discussions with my peers without fear of my town council, employer or whomever else might hold a grudge.

I am thankful for that opportunity!

I'm actually four cats, a red-tailed hawk, and a small lizard, all stacked up inside a white lab coat. So far, no one suspects and we would like to keep it that way.

Slightly more seriously, my employer's social media policy is both incredibly clear and easy to remember, and also not very realistic or useful: they simply said at orientation lo those many years ago "don't talk about work online. Ever."

But this board is a good resource for my own continuous process of self-improvement. It arguably makes me a better and more well-informed clinician. But do I want to have to sit in a conference room with my SP, someone from Legal, and some type of patient advocate person, and try and articulate how and why I believe that is true? NOPE.

I never give out patient information. I truly believe I have always been HIPAA-compliant. But it's a whole lot easier if I don't get specific about my own personal identifying details.

ok ok!  All points I understand.  In todays world, things said can come back and bite you in the butt.  I wonder if the recently posted PAFT statement signed and with a picture will come back and bite him by some PA school or employer????  Excellent stement by the way.  Should be read by all.

In addition to everything else posted already, there have also been people on this forum over the years who have held elected positions in state and national organizations who have enjoyed being able to be open and talk about PA issues without worrying about the organization thinking they are speaking on behalf of them. We always want to encourage that on the PA Forum, and I don't foresee a time when we'll require real names or identities to post here.

CYA.

There could be lurkers on here who screenshot something you say and take it way out of context, sending it to your employer, state medical board, etc.

"This PA said obesity is NOT a disease and he doesn't Rx weight loss drugs because he thinks we are fat of our own making!!!"

Also HIPPA issues. There's a lot of tattletales out there.

I am hoping we all remain civil and professional and gain something from our peers as well as having an arena to vent about day to day irritations and the ever changing landscape of medicine.

Being able to express oneself fully without fear of repercussion or being seen as "NOT a team player" by employers, etc is very helpful.

I like the case reviews on here. They are anonymous and I have never seen identifying markers that would allow me to know who someone is or appear to violate privacy laws.

Thanks to everyone!

I was horrifed once when a patient visited me about five years ago with a copy of something I said on this forum in her hand.  It was scary.  So I am very careful when I talk about patients and I tired to avoid using my name to not make it easily searchable.

Here's a twist - google yourself with your professional title.

I found a patient commenting on me (thankfully all positive) on her own blog. It took me by surprise.

I don't do Facebook or LinkedIn or any social media - just not my thing and the whole privacy issue, to boot.

We could start another thread - these provider rating sites scare the bejeebers out of me. No idea who is going on them and making comments and I work a lot with workers' comp - some of the angriest folks around sometimes. Now, I found out there are sites you can PAY to put good comments into rating sites.................... YIKES!

Oh, Holy Smokers, I need to become anonymous. I have an anonymous alter ego on here and people figured out who I was.  I'm too darn transparent.  That saran wrap is getting plenty hot. 

I can't speak for the rest of you but this is exactly why I always put a drape over my laptop camera and place my foil hat over my head anytime I'm reading or posting here.

LOL  

The official Tinfoil Hat Society New Member Welcome Part 1: Introductory

Video Part 2: Membership Enrollment

Part 3: New Member Welcome

Part 4: BBQ Day with the "Kids"

Part 5: Waxing about conspiracies and toaster ovens

Part 6: Attack the AFHS (Ailluminati Foil Hat Society)

Part 7: ???? Part 8: Bingo Night!

Archived