EM PAs making 140k+?

This year I'll be over 210k. all as a w-2. all solo ED coverage

I'm contracted for 8, 24 hour shifts/month in one ED. this one is slow enough to allow me to work 48-72 hour shifts. between me and one other pa we can arrange our schedule to our needs/liking. salary is 133k. with hourly for any extra shifts I pick up.

the other job is a bit complicated. Jan-May of this year I worked 7, 24 hour shifts/month >50k. June-dec I worked/will work 4, 19 hour shift/month for  32k.

Full disclosure: I didn't plan to work 2 full time jobs for 5 months this year. so I don't think i'll make >200k next year. But I could. I will say  however, for the 5 years prior, I have made >165k. all in ED coverage, all as w-2   

• Upvote 1

Well....I gave the short story....that is what I am transitioning to.....

Since the beginning of the year I have been working 6 24s (its actually a 0.9FTE to be technical) AND and I have been working a 0.7 FTE for a hospitalist service AND  I have been doing the 1099 work that is usually amounting to about 72-96hrs/month. 

My 6 24s currently a 48hr shift 1:4 weeks and a 96hr shift 1:4 weeks, the 96hr includes both Saturday and Sunday.  This is the job I am keeping, however I asked to have the schedule blown reduce it down to 24s, except to keep it at 48hr over the weekend by choice to reduce weekend commitments. 

After 8 years, I am leaving my hospitalist job...which is a hard pill to swallow since I liked so much

Then I am keeping the 1099 work and plan on doing 72-96hrs a month. 

So....my life will amazingly simplify by going to 10-12 24s a month. 

I actually like and don't mind the 24s.....I haven't had a problem finding rural ERs throughout MN that do 24hr and longer shifts, particularly ones that are primarily staffed by PAs.  One of these ERs is quite busy as a solo coverage, >10k visits/yr and lots of acuity.

• Upvote 2

E- that sounds like my part time job....which is great. hope it works out for you. these jobs seem to be hard to come by.  

yup, to the best of my knowledge this is the only one (solo coverage ed for PAs) within  100 miles of me. I have heard a rumor of one on the other side of my state. the one I work at has 1 full time pa and 4 per diem pas. I sent them a CV every year for a decade before even getting an interview.

• 4 years later...

Is there anyway to make these ranges of salaries (130-200k annually) Without going into EM, surgery, critical/urgent care, or dermatology? For instance, can you make this much going into fields such as neurology, internal medicine, sleep medicine, Endocrinology, diagnostic radiology, or ophthalmology? This is assuming you’re in Southern California near Los Angeles. If so, how many years after graduating would you be able to command such salaries? This is also assuming Monday through Friday 50 hours a week with no call. Any way to make that a reality? 

Is there anyway to make these ranges of salaries (130-200k annually) Without going into EM, surgery, critical/urgent care, or dermatology? For instance, can you make this much going into fields such as neurology, internal medicine, sleep medicine, Endocrinology, diagnostic radiology, or ophthalmology? This is assuming you’re in Southern California near Los Angeles. If so, how many years after graduating would you be able to command such salaries? This is also assuming Monday through Friday 50 hours a week with no call. Any way to make that a reality? 
My buddy makes 180k in GI working 24-26 hrs a week seeing 10 patients a day with a private group.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

180k with only 24-36 hours a week how is that even possible?? What state is this in and how many years out is he?
Yeah, he used to think I was making alot 230k but I found out how much he works, plus he has the option to pick up extra patients for bonus earnings. We are both in Northern California and have been working 9 years. Me EM, and him hepatology, hiv, primary care.

starting a new job

primary care

15 per day

4 day work week

140k attainable - 

yup they are out there, I passed a bunch of jobs in the 120k range for full time 40 hours per week

(give me a break - I do the EXACT same job as a Doc who costs twice as much if they pay me at 120k, so I just refuse those positions flat out and tell them that they need to be in the $80-10/hour range - to help the future PA's applying....)

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Marinejiujitsu said:

Yeah, he used to think I was making alot 230k but I found out how much he works, plus he has the option to pick up extra patients for bonus earnings. We are both in Northern California and have been working 9 years. Me EM

Where in NorCal?  Or if you don't want to specify, what do you consider NorCal?  I lived in Crescent City 30 years ago and loved the area. Is $230K relatively normal in NorCal?  Need locums work in your shop??? 

Where in NorCal?  Or if you don't want to specify, what do you consider NorCal?  I lived in Crescent City 30 years ago and loved the area. Is $230K relatively normal in NorCal?  Need locums work in your shop??? 
South Bay but I know guys doing locums for $120 an hour around and I believe one place is crescent city. Lol. My shop just hires full timers.

2 hours ago, Cideous said:

if you don't mind me asking, what made you walk after 6 weeks?  The worst part of it?

Was told I would be managing LVAD patients in the post op period. Instead they changed the job description between my interview and first day on the job. I was working as a scribe and changing driveline dressings.