EM PAs making 140k+?

Cool, thanks. Its crazy that people take 60K to practice medicine. Seems insulting to other PAs and the profession in general. 

I understand thinking that way but it is what it is.  If you are from a specific city, go to PA school in that city, and you don't want to leave that city (which also has 2 NP programs) then you might get stuck with a $60-$80K job.  

My first job offer was $32.50/hr.  Probable average pay here is about $45/hr which means for every guy making $140K there are five making $80K.  This is an area where many FP docs probably only make $150K, a gallon of milk can be found on sale for $2.00, gas is $2.40, and you can buy a McMansion for $150K.  Median household income in this city is about $40K, so $80K is double that with one earner.  

Also important to distinguish between gross 1099 pay and net income.  

I will gross over $140K this year, but net income will be much lower after expenses (travel, meals, CME, and then paying extortionist lawyers at the insurance company to protect me from other extortionist lawyers). 

And then I put a lot of that money into building a real estate business, which drops my net income much lower.  

There are always going to be anecdotes to share; I'm not saying don't believe them, I'm saying don't be surprised by them. That being said, its exciting to see that one could be compensated fairly in EM. As much as I love an adventure, I'm not sure I could sell my wife on Baghdad or 2 weeks on/2 off on an oil rig. Hopefully these jobs mentioned are all "normal" EM jobs. 

We have multiple RNs here that make 150k with a moderate (4 12s per week) amount of OT. One of my favorite residents is gonna knock out his debt load by working in Texas somewhere close to the border for 500k a year (and no losing sleep over the lawyers!). We have another very profitable EM group locally where partners make bank as well, although you do have to buy in, sweat equity, the whole nine. 

So its a fun topic, but there is usually an explanation, as G. Brothers touched on. 

My range is 135-155k/yr based on amount of overtime.

So is your low end (135k) with zero overtime? According to my OP, in this thread, you could make 135k working 13-14shifts/mo with the posted job. I know you prioritize autonomy/respect over salary, but could you potentially sell your soul and make more $ for the same amount of hours (with less autonomy)?

• Upvote 1

So is your low end (135k) with zero overtime? According to my OP, in this thread, you could make 135k working 13-14shifts/mo with the posted job. I know you prioritize autonomy/respect over salary, but could you potentially sell your soul and make more $ for the same amount of hours (with less autonomy)?

I have not had a single year without overtime since I started working as a PA. it just comes with the territory.

in  a hypothetical world of no overtime/extra shifts covering sick leave/pregnancy/etc I would probably make around 120-125k. hard to say with 3 jobs, each with a different rate of pay, shift differentials, pay for production, etc.

to answer the 2nd part of your question- if it was all about the money I would have stayed at the hmo job I left 5 years ago. when I left there as a senior pa at the top of tthe union pay scale I was making more than the fp docs....wasn't worth it. if I was still there with guaranteed twice yearly raises and shift differentials I would probably be close to 200k without overtime. still not worth it. oh, I would also have 12 weeks/yr of vacation, a week for cme with pay, sabbatical every 6 yrs, big money for cme and non-cme college courses, etc. still not worth it. the job was soul-sucking. every morning a call at 6 am asking if I wanted overtime that day. so glad to be out. I was there long enough that they owe me a nice pension in 20 years or so though...

I'm just a Pre-PA but honestly, this is what I like about the profession. You choose how hard you want to work. If you want a whole bunch of money then pick up more hours. If you're fine with what you have then you're fine with what you have. If you'd be fine making even less, drop some hours if you can. It's all about what you're comfortable with.

• 4 weeks later...

Neurosurgery PA for 12 years now . Base Salary 130k. $4500 CME annual allowance.  401k with 10% match and fairly good health/dental/vision benefits. I take call 1 weekend a month and receive $600.  I'm now being asked to consider taking the pager M-TH from 5pm to 8am for 1 week a month.  Going into the negotiation I'm going to ask that the weekend call be increased to $1000 and the M-TH evening call to be $250 a night.  Currently I average 150K annually in pay however quality of life is now becoming equally as important as the all mighty dollar.

• Upvote 2

Where is this? I am so coming !

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Actually it's probably not much better than a standard EM offer. There are so many negatives and extra work you have to do to be a 1099 it wouldnt be worth it unless >$110-120 /hr

Also just my opinion. Probably not a lot of benefits offered by the employer either.

• Upvote 1

Actually it's probably not much better than a standard EM offer. There are so many negatives and extra work you have to do to be a 1099 it wouldnt be worth it unless >$110-120 /hr

Also just my opinion. Probably not a lot of benefits offered by the employer either.

Again, depends on location.  There are areas where the PA profession is saturated, or nearly saturated, and it is driving down income.  

Also gotta look at the cost of living of areas.  In the city I currently live in PAs often make as little as $45/hr, but I just looked at a 3 bd/2ba 2400 sq ft home on 80 acres of mixed land (40 acres grassland, 40 acres of woods, with a spring fed stream and a 50X100 barn plus multiple other outbuildings) that was priced at $300K.  A house with property like this in some places would go for 3 MILLION, not $300K.  

Again, depends on location.  There are areas where the PA profession is saturated, or nearly saturated, and it is driving down income.  

Yep, it's called Denver. I precept local PA students and some of them have been getting job offers as low as $65k a year.

Also gotta look at the cost of living of areas.  In the city I currently live in PAs often make as little as $45/hr, but I just looked at a 3 bd/2ba 2400 sq ft home on 80 acres of mixed land (40 acres grassland, 40 acres of woods, with a spring fed stream and a 50X100 barn plus multiple other outbuildings) that was priced at $300K.  A house with property like this in some places would go for 3 MILLION, not $300K.  

WHERE IS THIS?!?

• Upvote 1

I make over $250k per year...but the majority is 1099 income. 

I work 6 24hr shifts/month in a rural solo-coverage ER, its $110k/yr with really good benefits.  I accept lower pay here for lower volume.

Then I make the majority of my income in working 4-5 24hr shifts/month doing 1099 work at other ERs for $95-110/hr. One of these is a solo-coverage high acuity 10,000 annual visit ER.  Thats gross $145-$160k/yr. 

Then the on the side legal consulting that so far only adds up several thousand a year. 

So...I am working 10-12 shifts a month and making $250k/yr. 

• Upvote 2