2016 APPLICANTS - post here!

• Replies 845
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I LOVE crash course too!!  But it reminds me of the books like A&P for Dummies, which I think ARE amazing and make everything so easy... but I don't think Crash Course or the books for dummies are in depth enough to make experts in the subjects and able to ace tests... but both very good for people who "get it" but just need a refresher!

Ok this is kinda random or maybe I'm posting in the wrong place but could anyone share their overall GPA and test score? I would love to see what makes a competitive canidate. I'm applying next year :)

I'm sure this is perfectly OK to discuss on here :D

Also does anyone know if for the November 2016 application, are they looking for the highly recommended courses? I only have the required courses under my belt :/ nobody at the school will tell me. I've tried calling so many times and sending emails. No response yet.

@Roxy - until we know who gets in, we can't really figure out what GPAs and test scores are of those accepted.  If you read through this thread, you will see most people sharing their GPAs and test scores while anticipating the test and/or interview.  But until we are admitted, there isn't really extra info about successful candidates

I can only speak for me, but I was instructed to do the highly recommended courses - I had all of them done except the Bio lab, and I will have that done prior to class starting.  Not sure if the other applicants did the extra courses. 

i figured that the program will be very tough, and extra chem, bio, and medical terminology will only help me during the program.  And the rest of the classes I did during my bachelors.  Best of luck to you as you prepare

Awesome info Petunia! ^_^

That thread looks like a magnificent treatise on the diverse array of academic and extracurricular backgrounds from PA school aspirants! Thanks for sharing!

@roxystarfire, most of the recommended courses listed on the mdc pa program webpage are required courses for other pa programs here in south florida, so it behooves us all to complete those courses to not only broaden our horizons in terms of being able to apply to more programs, but to also show the mdc selection committee that we're bringing more to the table than just the bare minimum!

It has been going through the grapevine that the intention of the mdc pa program is to very soon evolve into a bachelors degree program that will no long confer an associates degree but rather a bachelors (perhaps this has something to do with the arc-pa initiative to have all pa programs confer masters degrees by 2020, and indeed the arc-pa asserted that they will no longer grant accreditation to pa programs beyond 2020 unless they confer or become affiliated with an institution that can confer a masters degree, hence the reason why mdc's pa program is affiliated with st francis university who is able to confer a masters of medical science!)

Having said that, the profession is moving towards conferring only graduate degrees to reflect the rigorous graduate level didactic and clinical education, therefore my advice is that there is no better time than now to start working on your undergraduate coursework! Although it is not currently a dealbreaker, the window of time that remains before the recommended courses become required courses is steadily diminishing.

Have lofty goals!

Roxy I applied this year and had only required classes.. I didn't get an interview bc I scored a low 70 on the test. But I was told by the advisor at the north campus that I could NOT take courses during the application process (totally false). If I would have know otherwise I would have definitely took more courses. I am taking the bio and the lab in the summer and will continue to take classes up until next year. So do it while you have the time so that you are a stronger candidate!

@petunia Yes, I got interviewed on March 18th. Second time applicant. I made it last year into the alternate list but I didn't make it to the class :( ... I had big personal issues back then, so it was a good thing that I didn't start the class. But this year I feel positive. I think I became a stronger candidate so I am patiently waiting for the acceptation letter to come through the email soon ????

@petunia I agree with you about crash course. It doesn't go much into details but I think it give you a general idea of the topic so it is easier to read the book after watching the videos :) I use diferent resources to study any science course because some concepts are hard for me to understand ????

I wanted to thank you all for being so active on this forum. I know we are all anxious to be accepted and knowing I'm not alone makes me feel better.

Looking forward to meeting all of you, I'm sure we will have an amazing class, full of great individuals.

Anxiously waiting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@prepahope  Agreed!!  As we wait anxiously wondering if we can continue our dreams next month, it's nice to know at least we are in good company and have a nice support system.  

When I read a lot of other threads in this forum, there is negativity and meanness.  I am so glad that ours has remained friendly, fun, and helpful!

@Natsci - Yes!  But think of it this way.... It has been 142 days since the application deadline.  We made it this far, we can continue our patience :)  AND it's already Wednesday...so we are halfway through the week already.  

Archived