2016 APPLICANTS - post here!

• Replies 845
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's April, officially!! March was incredibly suspenseful but now there's light at the end of the tunnel! My eyes have been set on a national primary care scholarship for quite some time now, and the deadline to apply for the scholarship is in the third week of April! If blessed with the opportunity to be accepted into the program, I'm poised to apply right away! Here's to hoping that we hear back sooner than later!!

@Natsci08, I just noticed that it was NPA1 that mentioned personality types, woops. :)

@NPA1, Never knew about the type A and the type B personalities so thanks for sharing!

@LindaLS, Online research is the best bet, which is how I discovered the scholarship that resonates with my interest in primary care! I'm sure there are many more out there than the few that I've found. I'll send you a pm with more information about the one I've had my heart set on! Hope it helps.

I very much enjoyed catching up on forum conversations!  I left the country, this past week.  my last chance to travel for the next two years (I REALLY HOPE!!)...and to try to take a break from reflecting on the application process.... but it didn't work work.  I thought about the process and the program everyday.  I am so anxious to know what will I be doing 6 weeks from now!

I think the real deal is... they have hundreds of qualified applicants, and at least 100 SUPER qualified applicants.  The selection committee has to select who they think are the best fit for the program.  I believe they make a great hodgepodge on purpose.... some smart and some WICKED intelligent academias, some people with decades of patient care experience and some who may only have shadowed but their passion is to the extreme... some talented younger people with so much energy as well as people who could be their parents who have worked enough to know this is what they really want....and people from different countries, cultures, socioeconomic backgrounds......  I believe one of the most amazing aspects of their program is the diversity in every way imaginable.  In my opinion the best team and best outcomes are derived from teams of people who can think differently from each other and help each other.

I would be honored to be able to continue my dream NOW..lol.   We have to trust that the committee members are experts.  And if they choose someone else over another, then that person may not be right fit for the class of 2018.  I certainly hope to be chosen, and I would be devastated to apply to Barry and Nova when I am so passionate about MDC.  But we have to trust the system.

Everyone who made it to interview is deserving of a seat in the class.  But they have to select the 55 BEST fitting individuals.  

And in pondering MMSPAC's wonderful posts, rich with great information and advice- I believe this is proof that the selection process is so individual and more than just numbers.  We can feel the candidate's frustration and animosity about the system- but no one can get in by having good stats alone.  We have to let our personalities shine.  And if anyone seemed angry during interview, what would make the selection committee want to spend the next 2+ years with them?

Good luck to all- and here's to hoping this week is it!

@Natsci08, I just noticed that it was NPA1 that mentioned personality types, woops. :)

@NPA1, Never knew about the type A and the type B personalities so thanks for sharing!

@LindaLS, Online research is the best bet, which is how I discovered the scholarship that resonates with my interest in primary care! I'm sure there are many more out there than the few that I've found. I'll send you a pm with more information about the one I've had my heart set on! Hope it helps.

No problem! I hope we hear something soon so I can start applying to scholarships as well.

Sent from my SGH-M919N using Tapatalk

Natsci, we cant worry about things we can't control but we can learn from our mistakes. Google or YouTube "TOP PA INTERVIEW MISTAKES". See if you made any of 'em.

It's hard to say what's bad or good from a second-hand retelling of the interview. What did you say when they asked you if you had any questions?

@Petunia Enjoy your travels! Choosing these top fifty will probably be like the PANCE or PA exam questions. Those questions are difficult no matter what; whether they have to do with medicine, science or choosing the right applicants.... there are multiple correct answers but they have to choose the BEST. Lol.

Excited for tomorrow, hopefully we will get some info! It has been the longest month of my life!

At the end of the day we are all qualified, and I'm sure we all did the best to our abilities. We need to be proud of ourselves on how far we have come! As for the interview I believe it is the most important factor in the whole application process, and probably the most difficult for most to master. (Including myself)  But there is no turning back now, all we can do is have faith, and wait to see what happens. Good luck to everyone! Hopefully this is our year! Class of 2018!!!!!!! =)

My guess is that they will shoot to be done by the end of next week, but they are giving themselves the week of the 18th as well... as leeway since there can be so many variables that might make them run over.  I believe that when offered a seat, the candidate has a certain amount of time to formally accept and pay the acceptance fee; and if for whatever reason all candidates don't accept, then the school will offer those seats to the next candidates in line.

I am using this time to prepare for class anyways.  no matter what happens, extra learning is always helpful.  I found the coolest website.... https://www.khanacademy.org/science/health-and-medicine/human-anatomy-and-physiology

They have hundreds of videos.  For anyone who thinks extra A & P can help them, you should do it with me!  The videos are actually really fun.  They have Micro and Bio too... but I already completed those, because I enjoy being a nerd.

@Linda LS Omg crash course is my favorite! I love the animated examples, and the jokes lol this is what I used to understand the concepts for A&P portion of the entrance exam.. @Jason Diaz yes they will email you a form to reapply, you can either mail it, scan and email or turn it in personally to Jackie like I did.

Archived