2015-2016 Duke University Application Thread

Hi mflores_15!

Thanks for clarifying. I'm brand new to the show here and am just trying to really understand how the Admissions timelines seem to work here. I really appreciate you teling me about your timeline.

... For everyone who's already interviewed, without giving away any questions, would you mind telling me a little bit about your interview day? What was your experience like at Duke?

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was accepted! 

For all of those who are waiting to hear back from PA schools out there...don't lose hope and keep trying! I know that sounds cliche, but I interviewed at 5 schools, wasn't accepted anywhere yet at that point and Duke was my last interview. I never would have imagined to have been accepted here and I'm very honored! If anyone has any questions or general tips on interviewing (i'll try my best) PM me! 

Good luck! 

I was accepted! 

For all of those who are waiting to hear back from PA schools out there...don't lose hope and keep trying! I know that sounds cliche, but I interviewed at 5 schools, wasn't accepted anywhere yet at that point and Duke was my last interview. I never would have imagined to have been accepted here and I'm very honored! If anyone has any questions or general tips on interviewing (i'll try my best) PM me! 

Good luck! 

Thanks for the encouragement.  I haven't heard back from Duke and am beginning to wonder if it's too late for an interview invitation. Does anyone know up until when they will be sending out invites? Thanks.

I was just told I was put on the interview wait list. So they have filled their slots for interviews but if anyone cancels they will pull from the wait list.

Same here! When I applied, I had no idea if I would even be considered. Even if I never get taken off the interview waitlist, it feels good to know I wasn't completely out of my league! Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have an interview coming up soon. I have been accepted to another program but the idea of going to Duke and also relocating is keeping me interested. The school I've been accepted to is 20K cheaper and I've already given the deposit.

I saw how much Duke's deposit is and that has put a bit of a damper on things. Can any current/past students or anyone who has already interviewed give me your personal advice for or against making the investment to interview/attend Duke?

I have combed the forums and so far have not seen much in that would answer my question.

Thank you in advance!

I have an interview coming up soon. I have been accepted to another program but the idea of going to Duke and also relocating is keeping me interested. The school I've been accepted to is 20K cheaper and I've already given the deposit.

I saw how much Duke's deposit is and that has put a bit of a damper on things. Can any current/past students or anyone who has already interviewed give me your personal advice for or against making the investment to interview/attend Duke?

I have combed the forums and so far have not seen much in that would answer my question.

Thank you in advance!

I'm in the same boat! Duke was not something I felt could be a possibility and I just sent out an application as a reach school. Now that I have the interview coming up, I need to decide what to do...

Paapp1 and PAGuy55, I'd say it's definitely worth checking out, assuming Duke meets your basic requirements for a school (i.e. you wouldn't end up turning them down based on location or something). I was in the same boat before I went to interview... was already accepted to my top choice/much cheaper school and had been accepted by other highly ranked schools which I didn't end up liking (thus disillusioned by rank/prestige at that point). I decided to go anyway and was very impressed.

Consider what you're looking for, read their website thoroughly (they have a lot of info on there unlike other programs), and make a list of what Duke may or may not have that would be a deal-breaker compared to the other school(s) you got into. If you decide it's worth a shot, make a list of specific questions to ask during the interview. For me it was that I could do up to half my rotations in rural/underserved areas. Most other programs only offer primary care rotations in rural areas.

I'm still waiting on a decision from them, so it's possible I won't get in anyway. But if I do, they'll be tough to turn down! Good luck and congrats on getting into PA school! :)

Hey Jmarks31:

I understand your angst about the interview process. I've been there! :-)

Compared to every other interview day I've had at other schools, I can tell you that Duke was by far the most relaxed and friendly. Not just the Faculty, but even the other Applicants were really great people that had interesting life experiences and piqued my interest. I spoke with many of them and found myself thinking - I would love to study with these people one day and to call.them colleagues.

Anyway - to answer your questions:

1) Format: they talk about this a fair amount on the website (I'd recommend reading their website inside-out). That said, you show up around 8:45AM. You check in with a Secretary at the Main Entrance and are handed a name tag, and are then directed to a dining lounge area with the other applicants. You chat them up for a while and around 9AM, someone comes for you and walks you over to the Program's formal conference room. It looks like what you'd imagine a fancy board conference room to look like - wood paneled walls, long wooden conference table, comfy leather chairs, and a big projection screen.

From 9 AM-11:30ish AM, you listen to presentations about all sorts of topics: Duke History, PA Program/Profession History, Duke Campus Photo Tour, PA Curriculum (Didactic & Clinical Years), Electives & Study Abroad, Student Support Services, Financial Aid, Life in Durham, etc.

After that, you're given a short tour of the PA building itself, followed by sitting in on the last 10-15 mins of a 1st year lecture. After that, you're walked back to the Conference Room for Lunch (catered sandwich boxes from Parker & Otis - which is a local legend as a food spot - think of it like a Hipster Cracker Barrel). You munch on your food while eating with current 1st Years.

When Lunch is over, they split the whole interview group into two smaller groups right down the middle. Given that they typically interview about 10-11 per interview day, that means you'll have 5-6 people per sub-group. One subgroup does 1-on-1 interviews first, followed by a group exercise. The other subgroup does the same thing but in the opposite order.

The 1-on-1 interviews are two back to back interviews. You're solo interviewed by 2 Duke PA Faculty, and then by the Program Director. Each 15 min sit-down takes place in a small office.

The group exercise is basically a focused chat with your fellow 4-5 applicants in your subgroup during which you will be observed by two Duke PA reps (1-faculty & 1-2nd Year Student). This takes place in a smaller, less formal conference room. You're asked to discuss an ethical topic as a group for 15 minutes, and then you talk about how well the group discussed said topic for another 15 minutes. The evaluators never ever say a word. They just watch you and take notes. This is explained in great detail on a document you're given as part of your Interview Day folder. When you finish both sets of interviews, you do a final check out with Wendy, and then you're done.

2) Campus = the PA Program building is its own big brick building separate from the Duke Main Campus & Medical Campus. It's located at 800 S Duke St. There's plenty of parking, and a large sign noting where the main entrance is located. It's a gorgeous old building on the outside, and remodeled with an airy loft-like feel on the inside.

3) Likes/Dislikes: as silly as you may think it sounds - I can't think of anything I did not like. Everything was a really positive experience. I would love to attend the Program. It's by far my first choice. As far as likes: the birthplace of PA Profession, strong clinical education and exposure, world-class faculty, consistently strongly rated program, emphasis on the underserved, etc.

Good Luck on your Interview! :-)

Archived