Recent applicant accepted to multiple NC schools. Wondering if it is worthwhile to attend some of the private, high-ranked schools or if it makes more sense to favor in-state tuition, especially with sights set on primary care? 

Schools I applied to: Duke, Wake, Campbell, UNC, ECU

Would appreciate insight into any of the above programs, and whether the private schools really do give you a leg up!

Thank you!

I'm a Wake grad.  While I agree that going to a state school saves a lot of money, the money spent at Wake was worth every penny to be educated in a PBL (they now call it IBL) program and not have to sit through lecture, 8-5 every day for an entire year. Not only for the sake of avoiding boredom, but because I now teach in a lecture based program, and I see how much more prepared I was for rotations and clinical practice than these students who are educated via lecture only.

On 11/20/2017 at 6:26 PM, fishbum said:

I'd go to UNC and pocket the thousands of dollars you'll save. I understand that their program, even though it's fairly new, is very good. You can't go wrong with any of these schools, but I can't think of a good reason to shell out more $ for the private labels.

I received a similar vibe from the program, especially since lecturers come from UNC School of Medicine, UNC School of Pharmacy, and other highly ranked programs. One thing they seem to do differently is point-of-care ultrasound training. For example, you ultrasound cadavers during anatomy lab dissections. Strength of the program?

UNC or ECU will save you an incredible amount of money with no meaningful difference in career outlook over Duke or Wake Forest.  I went to Campbell, their focus is more rural primary care, but they have a strong rotation pool for clinical year and the faculty is fantastic.

If you haven't already go to open houses.  That will give you a better feel for the vibe at each school.  I chose Campbell for a reason

On 11/19/2017 at 10:52 PM, GratefulPA29 said:

Recent applicant accepted to multiple NC schools. Wondering if it is worthwhile to attend some of the private, high-ranked schools or if it makes more sense to favor in-state tuition, especially with sights set on primary care? 

Schools I applied to: Duke, Wake, Campbell, UNC, ECU

Would appreciate insight into any of the above programs, and whether the private schools really do give you a leg up!

Thank you!

I go to Campbell and love it! Campbell is very willing to work with any student struggling (their current policy is even if you fail a block or need to leave for medical/family reasons, they will let you come back and do it again) and tends to have smaller class sizes with a 100% PANCE pass rate. Note, I'm also from the north where PA schools are massive, so maybe all NC PA schools have smaller class sizes? Also, 50% of Campbell students receive a scholarship, which obviously helps with tuition cost, and living down this way is extremely cheap.

Best of luck on your choice!

1 hour ago, DReichert said:

I go to Campbell and love it! Campbell is very willing to work with any student struggling (their current policy is even if you fail a block or need to leave for medical/family reasons, they will let you come back and do it again) and tends to have smaller class sizes with a 100% PANCE pass rate. Note, I'm also from the north where PA schools are massive, so maybe all NC PA schools have smaller class sizes? Also, 50% of Campbell students receive a scholarship, which obviously helps with tuition cost, and living down this way is extremely cheap.

Best of luck on your choice!

I really enjoyed Campbell on my interview day! Seemed like a strong program. Thank you!

• 6 months later...

Archived