2015-2016 Duke University Application Thread

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the input @SleekPA! Good luck to you at UF!

Any accepted students willing to share when they have to make their decision/pay the deposit? It'd be awesome for some of us on the wait list to have an idea of when things might start moving. Thank you!

I just sent off my form today indicating I am declining my spot in the class.  Best of luck to everyone on the wait list!  And to everyone that will be attending Duke congratulations!!  

@MichiganPA3:

Hope I can clarify your question a little bit.

TimeLine:

I interviewed on Tuesday January 12th and was accepted via email the morning of Thursday January 21st. In their letter, Duke PA requested that I officially respond to their offer of Admission by Wednesday February 3rd. The letter also said that if I had not received an Admissions packet via snail-mail by January 27th, that I should email them for a digital copy of the forms.

So, they basically gave us 2 weeks to reply from the date of initial notification of acceptance. I ended up delivering my papers via FedEx the Friday before the final Wednesday deadline to be safe.

The Paperwork:

The forms themselves included a cover sheet in which you gave your official reply of Yes or No, a Consent to Background Check, a Confirmation of Meeting Minimum Technical Standards, a Check for the Initial Deposit of $1125, and a Statement of Intent.

The Statement of Intent is essentially a form that says that you are, in good faith, putting down a deposit because you're certain that you want to attend Duke, and that you're not waiting to hear back from another school while also reserving a spot at Duke. That form, I imagine, was included to streamline the process for wait-listed candidates as much as possible so accepted people with other offers don't unfairly drag their feet about making a final decision. It's a polite way of telling students it's time to show their cards at the poker table. Totally makes sense.

I should remind you that I wasn't the last interview date from what I understood either. There were at least a handful more days, if I understood correctly. On the Class Facebook Page, someone who interviewed on January 26th was accepted as recently as February 1st. That person would likely have had until Valentine's Day (Feb 14th) to respond, I imagine. What I don't know, however, is the final interview date this particular application cycle. I remember reading this forum for earlier application cycles, and some years had interviews as far as early February. If that's the case this year, after the typical 1 week of deliberation, it would mean acceptances would go out mid February, and responses to offers would then be required near the end of February.

I thought I might add that, when I interviewed, some first years mentioned that the wait-list at Duke tends to have a variable nature. They said one year it moved 15-20 spots, and another year it supposedly didn't move much at all. It depends on how many people accept vs decline offers.

But you've just seen evidence of 2 students posting here declining their offers. Who knows whom else is out there having the same kind of thoughts as them.

Good Luck to Everyone on the Wait List!

-and-

Congratulations to all of those already Accepted!

Thanks for the input @SleekPA! Good luck to you at UF!

Any accepted students willing to share when they have to make their decision/pay the deposit? It'd be awesome for some of us on the wait list to have an idea of when things might start moving. Thank you!

I also declined a few weeks ago, so I imagine they are going through their alternate list pretty well by now. I do have to say though... it was reeeally hard to decline, lol! Such a wonderful program, just not the best fit for me and my family. Good luck to everyone waiting!

Archived