Ok, this is just silly (EMR -related)

so my hospital is going to epic soon and I was asked specifically to be a superuser/trainer because I have used it before for the last 15 years at 4 other facilities.

I found out today to attend the same training as the docs who do this and then to have the same teaching responsibilities I will be paid 50/hr by epic while the docs will be paid 125/hr. to do the same (the exact same) job. maybe I will just teach really.....really..... slowly (like at 40% the speed of the docs.....)

Tell them you will be a superuser for the doc rate.

Your rationale:

1. Already have familiarity of use, will be able to hit the ground running vs others who haven't.

2. There is not an EPIC lite version you will be using. It is the same product and same responsibilities for the PA or the physician.

3. It is likely that you will be superusing for every PA and MD in the department, not just the PAs.

If they say no, I would not do it. Just smile, show up for your go live shifts, do your thing and go home.

I was the ED superuser when we went live with Cerner in 2012. During training, I did not get anything directly compensated, I do get a monthly admin stipend that superusing was wrapped into. During go live week, I worked 8-10 hours M-F, got our OT rate for it which was a bit less than the EPIC doc rate you list. My wife liked that paycheck, said I could do that anytime.

My group gave me a bonus afterwards, much appreciated since I put a lot of work into training materials and even put up a website for our group to use.

Dont sell yourself cheap to these EMR vendors. They are making money hand over fist since the recession. They have plenty to spare.

Good luck.

G Brothers PA-C

PS feel free to correct any and all smug EMR vendor staff that refer to you as a midlevel. They all got it after I asked them whom I was in between with a smile on my face several times.

Guest Paula

EMEDPA:    slo mo.....Turn              on         your                  computer.    the       button        is   on the          side.   You           will see             a bluuuuueeeeeee light     .

Yawn.         Then...............make         up              a    username             and               password.                           

Most of the class is sleeping by now.  

we will get 40/hr for training...the superusers who are pas will get 50. that alone probably makes it worthwhile to keep doing it.

we are also getting two versions at once with 16 hrs of required training for each version. our ER will get the ER version, our 24/7 urgent care, run exactly like an er, has been forced to use the clinic version. I went to mtg #1 today and asked very pointed questions about emergent non-scheduled patients who can't give us their name to register themselves because they are say seizing or not breathing. they said how often will that happen. oh about 5-10 times/shift....totally blew their minds. none of these folks has even done a walk through of the facility yet and we go live in a few months. they have absolutely no clue what a cluster this will be. I almost want to just take the whole go live month off and let them wallow in the mess they create, but chances are I will be the idiot here at 0800 go live day, which they will probably schedule to be a Monday following a holiday or something....at one of my rural jobs our go live day was july 4th and I was there. that day was awful. probably didn't help that it was the busiest day ever on record in that emergency dept. and we had a brand new doc for his first shift after residency.....7 hour waits...I am expecting a repeat of that experience...

I loved EPIC rollout.  Got paid moonlighting salary to train as a superuser, then for the first few weeks we double staffed every ED (again at moonlighting) to make sure flow didn't suffer too much.  We got paid to sit around "just in case" it got too busy, but actually just ended up with a super-light patient load for a couple of weeks!

• 5 months later...

so , one month follow-up after go live: over 15,000 individual problems with the system build found. example: can order IV fluids but not "start IV" because " IV starts are not supported in outpt environments"

what? so we have to put in an order for "nursing communication", open the comments and write " iv start please".

anyway, this has been such an EPIC FAILURE (had to say it), that they will be taking the system off line for an undiscolsed amount of time to fix all the bugs they know about and we will go back to paper charts in the meantime. overnight, our efficiency will double (return to pre-epic levels) and our left without being seen rate will go back to 5% or so from the 40% we are seeing under epic....also wait times will go from 6=8 hrs back to 1-2....

Absolutely DO NOT do this for the measly PA rate. They are paying for your experience with the system. If they don't want to pay, you shouldn't give them your time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

that horse is out of the barn. I didn't do it officially, but ended up showing a lot of my colleagues and some of the scribes how to use it because I probably have more experience with it than anyone else in the dept.

Epic has a version called ASAP that is supposed to work in UC/ER settings.

My now previous corporate employer uses that for UC/ER and the clinic system for all other entities/clinics.

The UC staff is Meh about it so far. They make it work for 12 hour shifts with 3 providers seeing 140+ per shift at UC.

The corporate behemoth has gaggles of geeks who come "train at the elbow" for go live or new training.

The corp suits haven't let any MD/PA train as super users and I doubt they pay ANY of the staff from Epic. Do not see corp suits allowing that.

You get the "prestige" of having a superuser logo on your badge as an MA or rare RN or manager. Which I am sure goes a long way to paying bills and making one feel valued....

I cannot imagine a go live with no extra staff and an MS4-plus-one-day resident. Nightmare scenario.

All my condolences and hopes for survival!

so my hospital is going to epic soon and I was asked specifically to be a superuser/trainer because I have used it before for the last 15 years at 4 other facilities.

I found out today to attend the same training as the docs who do this and then to have the same teaching responsibilities I will be paid 50/hr by epic while the docs will be paid 125/hr. to do the same (the exact same) job. maybe I will just teach really.....really..... slowly (like at 40% the speed of the docs.....)

same old same old. I am so sick of the arbitrary numbers which place PAs at a lesser financial value than docs/nurses for doing the same (or better) work.

I would say what many others have said here: tell them you would need to be compensated at the same rate as the docs and if they say, "oh, well we can't do THAT...", then say "no thank you" (and possibly add a well-placed "..and stick it where the sun don't shine").

I can also say with some confidence, having been a locums "superstar" PA as part of a "go live" experience in one hospital, that docs will NOT learn how to do the documenting, let alone teach it??? they have the PAs or scribes do their documenting. none of them have the patience or the humility or the WILLINGNESS to sit and diddle around with a new EMR, trust me. they will hand it off to one of the PAs every chance they get.

ps: the rn rate is the same as the pa rate. they will be making more than usual and I will be making much less.

"......I will be making much less"

THIS is the reason you shouldn't do it.  Not because the Docs are getting paid more, or the RNs are getting paid the same, but because you get paid more to do your own job than to convert to EPIC.

A question for some of you EPIC super-user computer guru's:  If you work at several (unconnected) hospitals, is there a way to "save" your templates (and anything else you 'build') on one system's computers and import them into another system's computer?  

ie:  Hospital A uses EPIC and I build my templates (& such), then I go to Hospital B which also uses EPIC....can I bring my templates with me??

A question for some of you EPIC super-user computer guru's:  If you work at several (unconnected) hospitals, is there a way to "save" your templates (and anything else you 'build') on one system's computers and import them into another system's computer?  

ie:  Hospital A uses EPIC and I build my templates (& such), then I go to Hospital B which also uses EPIC....can I bring my templates with me??

I was under the impression that everything's saved already- when I go to Hospital A for my side gig and save favorites and then go log in at Hospital B, the faves show up right away.  Hell, even when I log into my computer at home, the favorites are there.

Now....if hospital A and B are from completely different hospital systems, I don't know if it crosses over

Archived