Feeling Hopeless

Hi Everyone, 

I am 25 years old. I graduated UCLA with a bachelor's degree in biology. My overall GPA is 2.95, and my science GPA is a mere 2.2. I went through a lot during my college years, but doesn't change my stats. 

I would like to know if anyone could provide any help or advice. Are there any schools who will look at my application? I am willing to go to any accredited school in the states. 

I have all types of volunteering and patient-care experience needed. Letters of rec from physicians and PA's will not be a problem. I just don't know what I can do at this point.

I appreciate your input. Thank you.

I wish that I could give you encouragement that you could jump to PA school from the platform you find yourself on. PA programs are doable but tough and a 2.2 science average will not inspire confidence.

While CASPA averages things so that your old grades never go away, the only way I can think of is for you to build an entirely new track record. It wouldn't be a sure thing and it would take time and money: you would have to retake most -- if not all of your science classes -- required by PA programs and do really well. You would also have to get really good healthcare experience. It would take years. 

Nothing is ever truly hopeless, but neither is there a magic wand. You have not destroyed your future by your past performance, but you will have to work a lot harder than most if you want to follow this path.

Best of luck in whatever you decide to do.

I was going to advise the DO route as well, or look at Western which uses grade replacement or one of the few programs that consider last 45-60 credits. Another option is an accelerated RN-> NP since you have your BS. Honestly do to the time / money investment involved I think NP or DO would be a better route.

Find a good community college or state school close to you. Retake all of your biology classes, starting with Gen Bio 1 w/lab. Take at least 2 courses per semester and make sure you do very well in those classes. You have a lot of work ahead of you to improve your GPA but if you are determined and patient then you can definitely succeed.

You will likely need to take several years worth of science classes while working in a paid HCE position to be considered.  It's time to decide how badly you want this.

I had a 2.7 gpa with a psych degree, minimal sciences, any I had with poor grades ie C or lower.

I made my decision to become a PA at 24. I was working as a bartender at the time.

I enlisted in the Air Force, became a medic. Got great experience.

Took my science classes on the government's dime and crushed them. Repeated anything I got a C in ie English Lit, Spanish, Precalc, Statistics for As and Bs. 

Applied to 12 PA programs the year I separated age 30. Got interviews at 4, accepted at 3. Repeatedly told all interviewers the kid I was at 17 was not the man I am at 30.

Graduated 1998, worked in emergency medicine for over 15 years now.

I am not smart. I am focused and persistent and keep showing up.

Good luck.

George Brothers PA-C

PS money saving tip in PA school: veterans can enroll at their local VAMC for health care, may help save some money instead of paying for student health insurance.

• 4 weeks later...

IMHO, this is half the battle - showing up; the other half is being tenacious 

I had a 2.7 gpa with a psych degree, minimal sciences, any I had with poor grades ie C or lower. ...  I am not smart. I am focused and persistent and keep showing up.

George Brothers PA-C

I commend you!!!  RAGclKq.gif

Take the MCAT and if you do well you might be considered for MD/DO school.

I must disagree here Paula. No med school is going to look at an app with a sGPA of 2.2. Very unlikely his app would even make it past the circular file.

2.2 also doesn't bode well for success on MCAT. It is a thinking test, but those sciences are hit HARD. If your science knowledge is marginal at best that MCAT will barely be in the 20s.

I recommend repeats of every core science class with an absolute minimum of B. Grade repair takes time. One advantage you may have is that if you're interested in DO school, retakes with higher grades replace the previous low grades which will boost GPA in a hurry. And don't be shy about seeking out tutors.

I STRONGLY doubt your application will get through screening at any program. Your GPA just doesn't cut it when the average is around 3.4 to 3.5. Many programs have a minimum gpa requirement.

You will need to own your past and do the time to correct your deficit. Only you can. If you want to be a PA, you'll have to go back to school and do well first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would like to touch on an issue here that I don't believe has been addressed in this thread, or any other for that matter that I can recall.  Many of us have desires/dreams of wanting to do something (broadcast journalism in my case back in the 70's) but for whatever the reason the requirements/core knowledge for doing same just may not be there.  My daughter so badly wants into medical school but an adviser has already told her at her institution (see avatar) that she probably won't get an interview with anyone (awaiting word on her second MCAT, having taken the initial one prior to completion of the science pre-req's at the advice of this same "adviser").  She has obviously demonstrated to myself over the years that she has the ability to learn the material, and to not only learn it, but be able to explain/apply it, while grading/scoring exceptionally high at very competitive levels (but maybe not to the competitive level of UT-Austin).  This takes me to my question.  How much of a poor GPA (believe it to be at or near a 3.0 in sciences), in spite of a student effort, falls upon the institution?  How much does the institution grade itself come into play (ex.-org. chemistry at UT-Austin versus Tom, Dick, and Harry University)?  Her stories of poor "professors", which at UT-Austin may translate into a grad. assistant/minimally experienced instructor teaching a course, impacts the learning experience.  Over the past year I've seriously questioned her selection of institutions once these issues became apparent (I guess I had a selective memory of my experience there because I didn't excel there either having experienced the same lower level of instruction "to the masses") and had attempted to prod her to a smaller institution with a well established reputation of getting their students into med school, while maintaining more traditional class sizes where it is realistic to get one-on-one time with professors.  Once she graduates next spring this may be something that we need to consider by allowing her to enroll at this private college in the area for the sake of repeating any necessary science classes.

nsaid,

Like many bio majors, if you are under employed right now, I would even more strongly suggest you go the nursing route.  Work hard, get A's, and leverage your superior work experience and improved GPA towards further degrees if you desire them.  You could go paramedic if you are more attracted to that role, but I think 60 credits of nursing education will do more for you in the long run.

I would like to touch on an issue here that I don't believe has been addressed in this thread, or any other for that matter that I can recall. Many of us have desires/dreams of wanting to do something (broadcast journalism in my case back in the 70's) but for whatever the reason the requirements/core knowledge for doing same just may not be there. My daughter so badly wants into medical school but an adviser has already told her at her institution (see avatar) that she probably won't get an interview with anyone (awaiting word on her second MCAT, having taken the initial one prior to completion of the science pre-req's at the advice of this same "adviser"). She has obviously demonstrated to myself over the years that she has the ability to learn the material, and to not only learn it, but be able to explain/apply it, while grading/scoring exceptionally high at very competitive levels (but maybe not to the competitive level of UT-Austin). This takes me to my question. How much of a poor GPA (believe it to be at or near a 3.0 in sciences), in spite of a student effort, falls upon the institution? How much does the institution grade itself come into play (ex.-org. chemistry at UT-Austin versus Tom, Dick, and Harry University)? Her stories of poor "professors", which at UT-Austin may translate into a grad. assistant/minimally experienced instructor teaching a course, impacts the learning experience. Over the past year I've seriously questioned her selection of institutions once these issues became apparent (I guess I had a selective memory of my experience there because I didn't excel there either having experienced the same lower level of instruction "to the masses") and had attempted to prod her to a smaller institution with a well established reputation of getting their students into med school, while maintaining more traditional class sizes where it is realistic to get one-on-one time with professors. Once she graduates next spring this may be something that we need to consider by allowing her to enroll at this private college in the area for the sake of repeating any necessary science classes.

^^^This! One thousand times this! I have a trail of bad grades (Cs, Fs, Ws) that are mostly my fault. But my poor grades (1W and 1F) in physics were due to the fact that physics is not something that I can teach myself. I need(ed) instruction. I can sit down and read through anatomy, physiology and microbiology and learn on my own-trust me I had to do it in physiology this past semester-but not with math. In physics, I had minimal instruction with extremely difficult exams. A lot of people in the course had no clue what was going on, but they magically passed the exams. I later found out that a couple of the students knew about a website the professor used as a model for his exam questions.

Unfortunately, when adcoms look at a transcript they don't see how much the professor did not teach. They see a letter grade. And of course now I'm stuck with poor grades in science courses, not even prerequisites to most programs, that I have to retake for a better grades.

• 4 weeks later...

nsaid,

Like many bio majors, if you are under employed right now, I would even more strongly suggest you go the nursing route.  Work hard, get A's, and leverage your superior work experience and improved GPA towards further degrees if you desire them.  You could go paramedic if you are more attracted to that role, but I think 60 credits of nursing education will do more for you in the long run.

Not a bad idea. From here you can look at CRNA or NP. Just have to own your nursing classes. To the other posts, while I am non-trad student and had more than enough reasons to do well in classes (wife, kids, mortgage, etc) and never got lower than a B, I never blamed my professors (or praised them, for that matter) for the grades I got. I know when I slacked and when I busted my butt. Sometimes you have to look at yourself and not your surroundings. I had a-hole teachers who wouldn't help at all but I was determined to do well. I'm not trying to be a jerk but we can't always point the finger. 

I had re-applied to a PA program this year. Last year, I applied with a sGPA of 2.61, which did not even meet their minimum. This year, I re-applied with a sGPA of 2.84, which met their minimum but was under their average. To my surprise, I was invited for an interview. I thought it was a joke and wasn't even going to go because I figured I'd be rejected afterwards, especially since I was being rejected left and right from other programs I had applied to.

I decided to go to the interview to gain interview experience for when I re-applied to programs again next year. Before the interview, other candidates were discussing their stats, with sGPAs of 3.6 and 3.9s. I felt extremely intimidated. I left my interview expecting a rejection, best case low-alternate waitlist. Guess what? I got accepted! And this program was my #1 choice. Surprisingly, some of the high sGPA candidates, that I felt intimidated by, were actually low alternate waitlisted.

Now the moral of this story isn't that low stats will get you in while high stats won't. That is not the case at all. But apparently there was more about me and my application that sufficed for the uncompetitive sGPA. At my interview, they asked me about it and I explained myself very well, taking 100% of the blame upon myself (even though I've experienced many terrible professors who can not teach science).

Gbrothers98 couldn't have said it better. If PA is what you really want, stick through it. I had to re-take classes, which was an absolute pain in the behind. But it definitely paid off.

Best of luck to you!

• 2 weeks later...

I had re-applied to a PA program this year. Last year, I applied with a sGPA of 2.61, which did not even meet their minimum. This year, I re-applied with a sGPA of 2.84, which met their minimum but was under their average. To my surprise, I was invited for an interview. I thought it was a joke and wasn't even going to go because I figured I'd be rejected afterwards, especially since I was being rejected left and right from other programs I had applied to.

I decided to go to the interview to gain interview experience for when I re-applied to programs again next year. Before the interview, other candidates were discussing their stats, with sGPAs of 3.6 and 3.9s. I felt extremely intimidated. I left my interview expecting a rejection, best case low-alternate waitlist. Guess what? I got accepted! And this program was my #1 choice. Surprisingly, some of the high sGPA candidates, that I felt intimidated by, were actually low alternate waitlisted.

Now the moral of this story isn't that low stats will get you in while high stats won't. That is not the case at all. But apparently there was more about me and my application that sufficed for the uncompetitive sGPA. At my interview, they asked me about it and I explained myself very well, taking 100% of the blame upon myself (even though I've experienced many terrible professors who can not teach science).

Gbrothers98 couldn't have said it better. If PA is what you really want, stick through it. I had to re-take classes, which was an absolute pain in the behind. But it definitely paid off.

Best of luck to you!

This makes me very happy because I didn't get in last year but now that I have a 3.0 cumulative and 3.0 science I am feeling a little more confident. I applied to 25 schools this year and am really hoping I get in somewhere!!! I also have 1 year of masters, 19000 hours as an EMT and 2 years of personal training. I have a wife and two kids which I talk about a lot in my essays so I am hoping that some school is looking for a guy like me!

• 3 weeks later...

I think your best bet is to get a masters degree.  Maybe one in public health like I did.  You can do it.  Anyone who says give up is not the type of person you want to listen to.  It's your dream.  If they can't see it happening that's ok because it's not their dream...it's yours.  Here is a list of schools you should look at and a little bit about myself.

I am applying to PA school this year and my GPA is sitting in the low 3.0 area as well.  I have a master’s degree in public health and a few hundred hours of HCE.  I'm only 24 so I have not had a lot of time to work due to school.  The list below are the schools that I applied to and I have also listed there GPA requirement and deadlines.  All of them have a GPA requirement of 3.0 or less.  This is great for people like us who may want to apply to schools a little less competitive GPA wise.  These schools tend to care more about the person as a whole rather than just numbers on a page.  I'm assuming you have a family so moving may not be a realistic option, but I thought I'd mention them anyways.  I live in Arkansas so all these schools that I applied to are in the South.

(Does not use CASPA) Christian Brothers University, Memphis TN - 2.8 GPA.  Application deadline July 1st 2014.

University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Little Rock - Recommended 3.0 overall GPA, and recommended prerequisite GPA 3.0. Application deadline December 1st 2014

LSU Shreveport - 2.9 overall GPA. Application deadline October 1st 2014

Oklahoma Tulsa - 2.75 GPA and 2.75 prerequisite GPA.  Application deadline October 1st.

University of Tennessee Health Science Center, Memphis - 2.75 overall and prerequisite GPA.  Application deadline September 1st 2014.

University of North Texas Health Science Center, Fort Worth - 2.85 overall GPA. Application deadline November 1st 2014

Baylor- 3.0 overall GPA. Application deadline September 1st 2014

(Does not use CASPA) Oklahoma City - 2.75 overall GPA. Application deadline October 1st.

Please note that these are overall GPA's not science GPA'S.  Also, Harding University in Searcy Arkansas is another good choice.  They are a church of Christ school and I hear that they care more about the whole person than just the GPA.  These are all schools worth looking into if you're ok with living in the South.

I live in Arkansas so all these schools that I applied to are in the South.

(Does not use CASPA) Christian Brothers University, Memphis TN - No GPA minimum. Application deadline July 1st 2014.

University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Little Rock - Recommended 3.0 overall GPA, and recommended prerequisite GPA 3.0. Application deadline December 1st 2014

LSU Shreveport - 2.9 overall GPA. Application deadline October 1st 2014

Oklahoma Tulsa - 2.75 GPA and 2.75 prerequisite GPA. Application deadline October 1st.

University of Tennessee Health Science Center, Memphis - 2.75 overall and prerequisite GPA. Application deadline September 1st 2014.

University of North Texas Health Science Center, Fort Worth - 2.85 overall GPA. Application deadline November 1st 2014

Baylor- 3.0 overall GPA. Application deadline September 1st 2014

(Does not use CASPA) Oklahoma City - 2.75 overall GPA. Application deadline October 1st.

Please note that these are overall GPA's not science GPA'S. Also, Harding University in Searcy Arkansas is another good choice. They are a church of Christ school and I hear that they care more about the whole person than just the GPA. These are all schools worth looking into if you're ok with living in the South.

While I wish jukadike the best of luck getting accepted, I don't think the OP has much chance getting into the University of North Texas and not a snowball's chance in H.. of getting into Baylor. UNT and Baylor both require higher GPAs than posted here. Not sure where those numbers come from.

Sent from my Kindle Fire HDX using Tapatalk 2

Archived