UF Class of 2017 Applicants

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think most schools realize that the GRE is not a good predictor of success in graduate school. HOWEVER, with going on 2000 applications they have to have a way to decide who gets interviews. HCE hours, GPA, and yes GRE factors in.

I am surprised that they are notifying people that they don't meet the cut off. In the past they waited until the last interview and then sent out letters saying thanks for your application but it was "a competitive year". I feel that letting you know now that you won't get an interview is actually "kinder/gentler" than giving false hope that you might get one in the future.

As for arosswoods "lopsided" GRE - that should not be a problem. Your total is more than 300. I will say that most GREs for PA school are lopsided in the other direction with a high quant and low verbal. Good luck!

Thanks woodsters. I still can't help but feel like I'm not getting an interview. It seems weird I haven't heard anything in the few weeks since they confirmed that my app was complete. I graduated with a 4.0 and have about 1400 HCHs. Maybe something in my essay makes them think I'm not a good fit for their program, or the quant score.

And being out of state won't hurt at all. Most students who go to UF are from Florida but it does not imply that they are given preference. It's just that it takes a Floridian to fully understand the quality and the value :-) In state tuition makes it a very reasonable choice and often out of state students, although accepted, choose to go elsewhere because another school is more affordable. Keep in mind that out of state students can often get instate tuition for their second year so that will equalize the tuition burden.

I'm not much of an optimist - just a realist. The reality is this.... human beings, not computers, decide who gets interviews. Guidelines are used to make the decisions but guidelines can be overlooked if the person making the decision feels compelled to do so. A computer would just assign everyone a zero or a one and spit out a decision.

That is why speculation, anxiety, asking for others stats, worrying about why people who apply after you get invited before you, etc, are just merely futile. Don't lose hope rather spend your time waiting doing something useful. If it is meant to be, it will happen. If you've done all you can do to prepare, well, you've done all you can do.

Hang in there and good luck!

Archived