Wait listed, what to do now?

I've been wait listed at the school that I would absolutely love to go to.  Has anyone had any experiences with letters of intent.  I tried calling the program and asking about how the committee felt about LOIs and they said they don't really have much of an opinion on them as they don't see too many.  Any thoughts?

LOIs aren't too necessary, especially since the waitlist usually means you were a good candidate, but they just don't have space for you right now.

If you can, show your interest in the program by giving timely updates (monthly or so) on anything you've been doing that improves you as a candidate. This might be research, HCE gained, some volunteer experiences, and whatnot. Even if you don't get in that cycle, you're a better candidate with better chances next time (or for another program).

I won't lie, as I did it myself, but one issue with waitlists are the people who got accepted. They're deferring the seat for the school/s they got accepted to, while waiting for a seat to open up in another program they prefer. You might get in, if a seat does open up, and you were at the top of the list that time. Either way, there's not much that can be done.

Trust me, programs hate waitlists as much as students do. We would all love to get a class squared away and seated and move on with our lives.

The PA school application process has (unfortunately) become much more like the med school application process - applicants apply to a ton of schools and many wind up with several acceptances and wait list placements to sort out.

The advice above is good. Have a "plan B" for a year, and keep the program updated with anything you have done that might make your application look better - it might change your place on the waitlist. What happens to the waitlist is generally completely outside the control of the school and is completely unpredicatable.

I applied to two schools last year, and got waitlisted by both. Got accepted into neither off the waitlist. Felt really let down as I kept hearing stories of people (including my very own Primary care PA) of how they got in off the waitlist. Truth is, there is a small chance that it will happen. Prepare that it wont. also, for the love of G-d, don't apply to only two schools! :-)

Good Luck , and don't give up. I am going back to the same school for an interview again for the 2014 cycle.

Thanks guys.  I did get accepted to a school that I would really enjoy attending, but its not my top choice.  They have asked for a deposit in the next week and a half.  I'm debating on telling the other school that I'm the wait list on that I have been accepted to this other program along with an update on my HCE and other activities.  

Thanks guys.  I did get accepted to a school that I would really enjoy attending, but its not my top choice.  They have asked for a deposit in the next week and a half.  I'm debating on telling the other school that I'm the wait list on that I have been accepted to this other program along with an update on my HCE and other activities.  

Bad idea.  That would be a great way to get them thinking "well, he already has a slot somewhere so we should give it to someone else."

Thanks guys. I did get accepted to a school that I would really enjoy attending, but its not my top choice. They have asked for a deposit in the next week and a half. I'm debating on telling the other school that I'm the wait list on that I have been accepted to this other program along with an update on my HCE and other activities.

Ask the school where you have been accepted if you can pay 1/2 of the deposit (remember it's non-refundable) because you are still considering other opportunities. My friend did that and while she didnt attend that school in the end, she felt safer knowing she had a seat somewhere. But I wouldn't 'pressure' them into choosing you. Bad idea

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you know your approximate position on their wait list? If you interviewed earlier you are probably towards the top.

You can ask if the waitlist has been 'ranked' and where you are on the list. Most programs have a waitlist of equal size to the accepted class size (44 accepted seats, 44 waitlist seats). Some programs only rank the top 10% of their waitlist. But I would wait until they have completed the review/admission process.

I'm in a similar position, the school notified me that I'm waitlisted/accepted. They want to interview the rest of the applicants and then decide from there. Should I send a letter of intent/update? I'm not even sure what my status is...

I would only send an update if you have a significant change to your application, like more HCE hours or grams des from a recently completed class. Just my two cents.

Thanks guys. I did get accepted to a school that I would really enjoy attending, but its not my top choice. They have asked for a deposit in the next week and a half. I'm debating on telling the other school that I'm the wait list on that I have been accepted to this other program along with an update on my HCE and other activities.

Unfortunately, while many aspects of applying are similar to a job search, this isn't one of them. Telling a prospective employer that you have another offer but would really like to work for THEM sometimes can move a process along. With PA school wait lists, it likely will not help. As others have said, most schools rank in some fashion and because it's a wait list, they have to wait for someone to drop their seat before offering it to you. That process can't be rushed and asking them to rush will not win you any favors.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No reasonable program will get angry with you for checking your status once in a while. Just don't be a pest - if you send a polite message once a month, that is fine. We understand that many applicants are trying to make major decisions about where to live and things like that, so we all want to get you the best information we can as soon as we are able to do so.

If you are on the waitlist at Program A and you call them and tell them you got accepted at Program B but you really want to go to Program A instead, I also do not think a reasonable program would get mad about this. (If anything, it is a compliment.) It might not help you much, but I do not see how it would hurt.

On your part, please don't get frustrated with a program when they do not have much of an update to give you. From our point of view, whether you are first, fifth or tenth on a waitlist, there is no way of knowing your chances of having a seat eventually open up. Through the years we have had a bunch of students that I was really hoping would get in off the waitlist, so even the program itself might be pulling for you. Sometimes people get in, sometimes they go elsewhere, and sometimes you remember them and they are the first student you admit the following year.

The above is the point of view of one person at one program - your mileage may vary!

If you are on the waitlist at Program A and you call them and tell them you got accepted at Program B but you really want to go to Program A instead, I also do not think a reasonable program would get mad about this. (If anything, it is a compliment.) It might not help you much, but I do not see how it would hurt.

This is slightly off topic but SHU-CH (or anyone else who wants to comment), would you also think that it wouldn't hurt if at an interview for Program A I mentioned that I was accepted at Program B but Program A is my first choice which is why I am interviewing. Only if they asked the what other programs have you applied to/interviewed at question. I wouldn't just bring it up out of the blue.

I am a little unsure because on the one hand they might be hesitate to accept me because I have already put in a deposit somewhere else but on the other hand, why would I even show up to their interview if I would rather go to the other program.

Thanks.

This is slightly off topic but SHU-CH (or anyone else who wants to comment), would you also think that it wouldn't hurt if at an interview for Program A I mentioned that I was accepted at Program B but Program A is my first choice which is why I am interviewing. Only if they asked the what other programs have you applied to/interviewed at question. I wouldn't just bring it up out of the blue.

I am a little unsure because on the one hand they might be hesitate to accept me because I have already put in a deposit somewhere else but on the other hand, why would I even show up to their interview if I would rather go to the other program.

Thanks.

I see no reason not to mention it, IF they bring it up.  I would attempt to be clear about the fact that you prefer program A, and only made a deposit at program B to have a backup (because being a PA is the most important thing to you, and obviously you can't give up that opportunity).

That being said, they'll more or less already be aware that you're strongly interested in their program still, otherwise you would have canceled the interview.  Overall, just show strong interest in the program and what they in particular have to offer.

Again, this is the opinion of one person at one program: I would personally never make an admission decision based upon a person's standing with other programs they have applied to. I usually do not ask where an applicant has applied to. I would have no problem if an applicant mentioned they had been accepted elsewhere. Interviews are designed to gather information and that is just another piece of information. 

I generally base my admission recommendation on three things:

1. An applicant has to absolutely convince me that they will survive academically.

2. An applicant has to demonstrate that they have some unique gift/skill/trait/experience that will create a better experience for their whole class.

3. I like to have a feeling that in terms of a personality match-up, an applicant will be happy in our particular program.

There are all kinds of PA programs (big, small, urban, rural) with all different kinds of curriculum models. ARC-PA pretty much ensures that they are all very high quality (if you think the PANCE makes you nervous, try living through an ARC-PA visit!) I am inclined to think that someone smart enough to get into one PA program would probably do well at just about any PA program. You will work your rear-end off no matter where you go.  It is much easier to work your rear-end off in a place that makes you happy.

Archived