TessL

Chemistry as a BS major going into Dermatologist Assistant

I'm thinking of finishing my BS as a chemistry major. Is there any benefit for this as a Dermatologist PA? Any info is helpful, thank you!

Chemistry would be a fine undergraduate degree for any specialty as a PA-C. There aren't any BS degrees that cater towards dermatology (to my knowledge). 

Also, the title of your thread is what caught my eye. Understand that if you become a PA in dermatology, you are NOT a dermatologist assistant. You are a PA specializing in dermatology. This is the same with any specialty. Just something to keep in mind for future reference. Let me know if you have other questions. Good luck!

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the clarification! I keep seeing them lumped together in my research for working in Dermatology and I should start making that distinction now.

I'd also be interested to know if any or all of these paths: volunteer EMT (with a specialty in treating burns)/Medical tattooist for a plastic surgeon's office and/or surgical technician would help towards any credit/experience at all on my path to a PA? 

I'm a bit confused on how clinical hours for PA and work experience factor into this path. 

Thank you for your time!

EMT work is very good experience for PA school. I worked as an EMT and then went on to become a paramedic prior to PA school. Paramedic is of course better experience, but EMT is also very helpful. I think EMS work is among the best preparatory experience that one can obtain before PA school. Direct patient care, critical thinking, treatment plan development/execution, and learning valuable life-saving skills will translate well to PA school. 

I would avoid medical tattooist. I'm not familiar with that line of work, so I can't speak much to it, but I'm not convinced that admission committees would accept it is direct patient contact hours. Maybe they would. 

Surgical tech is also a good way to go. Great experience in the OR and exposure to good medical conditions. 

My personal opinion is that EMS is the best way to go though. I'm not sure what you mean by specialty in treating burns. EMTs/Paramedics don't specialize. They see anything/everything and need to be well versed in all aspects of prehospital emergency medicine. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By AmbitiousPA2B
      Hey guys, 
      I will be applying to PA school this cycle and I was talking to an admissions counselor at the PA school I am interested in going (in my home town) about my academic record/healthcare experience and how I can be a more competitive applicant. In conclusion, she recommended I re-take Gen Chem II cause I got a D the first time I took it. Some background on me is that I have a cGPA of 3.1 and I knew that wasn't competitive enough for PA school and decided to get a Master's in Science which I got a cGPA of 3.5 with a sGPA of 3.6. I figured that since I took a lot of upper level chemistry and biochem courses in grad school it would counteract my D in gen chem II. However, they don't factor in grad grades with the undergrad pre-req grades which I should've known and feel stupid that I don't so I am looking at retaking gen chem over the summer before Aug 1. Other areas of my app are very strong with a good enough GRE, over 2,500 healthcare hours and other volunteer experience. This is literally my last battle and any advice would be amazing! 

SO she recommended I take Gen Chem II online at UNE (University of New England) and she said I;d be able to finish that in 8 weeks. I absolutely hated GC II and I really need to pull off an A. I've never experienced taking an online class through UNE...if any of you guys have had any experience and how hard you think it would be to pull off an A that would be greatly appreciated!! 
    • By zgotham1
      Hello All, 

I hope you are doing well. I was just curious if anyone has run into the same issue with shadowing that i am in currently. So, unfortunately I dont have the connections to other PAs like some people do, so this leads to having to go above and beyond to try to find PAs to shadow. I finally found one that is willing to take me on that doesn't currently have PA students with them (I go to Gannon University and I live close to Mercyhurst University, which both have PA programs), however, they want me to pay $50 per shadowing visit. I have never heard of anything like this before. Is this normal to pay $50/per shadow experience? Or is this just a UPMC thing. Is it worth it? Or should i keep trying to find other facilities that dont require such. 

- Zach 
    • By alwaysivy
      Hello, 
      I've been searching for awhile. I tried to apply to a course that was offered at a community college, but my home school took too long processing the paperwork they needed, so my plans fell through. My request is a bit specific. I need an 8 weeks course (or at least one I can complete before May) that is Organic Chemistry II but with no lab portion, as I have already completed that part of the course. The closest I've come is Doane but their course only seems to have the lab portion attached.
      Please and thank you!
      EDIT: Needed to fulfill Bachelor's Degree before going further
    • By Saverina
      Hello everyone! I recently decided to choose the PA route during the last quarter of my senior year (graduated 2018) and I have been taking a few pre reqs to catch up.
      As of now, I will technically have my pre reqs done by early June. However I planned to retake Chemistry because I had 2 C’s in the class and I want the schools to see that I can do well in Chemistry. The retake classes wouldn’t finish until mid August (at the latest).

My question: Do you guys think it’s better to send in my app early in June, especially since I’m planning to apply for some schools with rolling admissions? Or should I wait until I get my grades back from the retake and send my app by late August?

My undergrad GPA right now is around sGPA: 3.25 and cGPA: 3.425 (this is based on my own calculation while following “how to calculate your GPA” on CASPA’s website). This doesn’t include my post bacc work with pre reqs and I’m hoping my GPA will go up too after classes.

The schools I'm looking at are mostly in CA (and a few out of state) and are ok with a C for prereqs. And they are ok with having "in-progress" coursework on CASPA.

Thank you!
    • By aspirationalaf
      Hi! This fall I will commence my undergraduate studies at SUNY Cortland and I'm pretty concerned with being prepared for applying to PA programs, especially in regards to obtaining direct patient care hours. I was doing research and there are programs in which their accepted candidates average or will have even have more than 4,000 hours. This is quite the daunting task considering I plan to be a full-time student over the next four years.
      As of now, I plan on being involved in the campus EMS squad where I will receive training and will be required to serve a minimum of two 12-hour shifts per semester. However, I will aim to serve at least 1 of these shifts every week. Do these volunteer hours count as direct patient care hours? Additionally, the squad will pay for my EMT-B training throughout this upcoming year's spring semester if I agree to volunteer for them for the two semesters of my sophomore year. Thus, I will be able to at least volunteer as an EMT-B over the next few summers as well.
      Cortland Regional Medical Center is also a five-minute drive from the university, so I will most likely be able to shadow and volunteer here, but they are not a teaching hospital so they do not often have training experiences.
      So my overarching question is how am I supposed to get the hours I need by the fall of my senior year when application season begins? Will I most likely have to accumulate hours for another year after my undergrad? Furthermore, are there any other positions I can seek to display diversity within the hours I accumulate, and are there any other pieces of advice you can offer me as I begin to plan?
      Thanks for all the help!

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More