Taking Gen Chem II online at UNE...opinions

Hey guys, 

I will be applying to PA school this cycle and I was talking to an admissions counselor at the PA school I am interested in going (in my home town) about my academic record/healthcare experience and how I can be a more competitive applicant. In conclusion, she recommended I re-take Gen Chem II cause I got a D the first time I took it. Some background on me is that I have a cGPA of 3.1 and I knew that wasn't competitive enough for PA school and decided to get a Master's in Science which I got a cGPA of 3.5 with a sGPA of 3.6. I figured that since I took a lot of upper level chemistry and biochem courses in grad school it would counteract my D in gen chem II. However, they don't factor in grad grades with the undergrad pre-req grades which I should've known and feel stupid that I don't so I am looking at retaking gen chem over the summer before Aug 1. Other areas of my app are very strong with a good enough GRE, over 2,500 healthcare hours and other volunteer experience. This is literally my last battle and any advice would be amazing! 

SO she recommended I take Gen Chem II online at UNE (University of New England) and she said I;d be able to finish that in 8 weeks. I absolutely hated GC II and I really need to pull off an A. I've never experienced taking an online class through UNE...if any of you guys have had any experience and how hard you think it would be to pull off an A that would be greatly appreciated!! 

I took General Chem II and UNE,  I found the best study online as the lectures were dry and read verbatim.   I had to dedicate 3 hours daily or more, but Chemistry is not my strong area.  The percentage break down offers lots of opportunity to end with a high grade,  I ended up with a B+.   Good Luck, you can do it!

I would not take the gen chem II class online especially if it includes a lab. Most PA programs require the pre-requisites to be taken in person and not online. I would double check with the programs your interested in applying to and verify. Although more convenient, you don't want to pay and do the course to then find out that programs prefer or require in-person courses. Best! 

On 6/3/2019 at 10:25 AM, prepa1010 said:

im looking to take general chem 1 at UNE as well, anyone have any thoughts on it?

@AmbitiousPA2B have you started gen chem 2 at UNE? any thoughts

tomorrow is my first day so I haven't and I didn't take chem 1 through UNE so I can't give you any input but wishing you the best of luck with it! From what I hear if you stay on top of it and do what is required you should be able to pass with a good grade! 

On 6/3/2019 at 12:58 PM, rfo1234 said:

I would not take the gen chem II class online especially if it includes a lab. Most PA programs require the pre-requisites to be taken in person and not online. I would double check with the programs your interested in applying to and verify. Although more convenient, you don't want to pay and do the course to then find out that programs prefer or require in-person courses. Best! 

For me this is a retake class and I got an A in the lab so it's just the lecture and my advisor for PA school was the one that told me to take this course online through UNE so that's the only reason why i'm doing it but I understand the concern! I wouldn't of done it if the school I wanted to go to didn't take it!

HI! I just signed up for UNE's general chemistry I course. I heard Chad's and Chegg's are good study guide programs. Also, a really random question, after registering for the classes were you given a username and password for UNE? I'm trying to sign back in and have no idea what my username and password is because that was never set up for me! Thanks.

41 minutes ago, Kendallmarie said:

HI! I just signed up for UNE's general chemistry I course. I heard Chad's and Chegg's are good study guide programs. Also, a really random question, after registering for the classes were you given a username and password for UNE? I'm trying to sign back in and have no idea what my username and password is because that was never set up for me! Thanks.

Thank you for the tips, i'll definitely look into Chad's and Chegg's!! And yeah I did, I actually had to call to get it cause I had no idea and I couldn't login but they were able to resolve the problem for me pretty efficiently! Best of luck to you!!

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, AmbitiousPA2B said:

Thank you for the tips, i'll definitely look into Chad's and Chegg's!! And yeah I did, I actually had to call to get it cause I had no idea and I couldn't login but they were able to resolve the problem for me pretty efficiently! Best of luck to you!!

I just did that lol! They helped me and now I'm able to log in! Do you know, also, is that all we have to do to register? Like I registered on the flexreg or whatever, I feel like there should be more steps haha. Do you know if we have a UNE email or if there are any more steps we have to take? 

7 minutes ago, Kendallmarie said:

I just did that lol! They helped me and now I'm able to log in! Do you know, also, is that all we have to do to register? Like I registered on the flexreg or whatever, I feel like there should be more steps haha. Do you know if we have a UNE email or if there are any more steps we have to take? 

I honestly don't think so. I just registered on it on flexreg then I used the username and pass to login to blackboard and was able to see my course! I hope there aren't any more steps because that's all I did too!

Just now, AmbitiousPA2B said:

I honestly don't think so. I just registered on it on flexreg then I used the username and pass to login to blackboard and was able to see my course! I hope there aren't any more steps because that's all I did too!

Yeah I don’t think there are! Sorry for my lack of advice and thanks for all your advice lol!😉 Good luck with your preparation and with getting into PA school, I’m sure you’ll be successful!